• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Excessive time called at DGPT finals

Nikko would just wear tie-dyes to hide the evidence.

I have heard that Nikko has gotten better. It seems like he really didn't realize he was taking too long. There's a video of a skins game, where Nikko is putting and a timer goes off. He stops and asks what that was and the group says he took too long. Calvin had started a timer on him. There's a back and forth, where they discuss when the timer was started...Nikko resets and again the timer went off before he threw. As I recall, he said that he didn't realize he was taking that long.

How bout PDGA approved mini marker timers. As soon as the mini is placed the 30 sec. timer embeded inside is automatically activated. At 25 seconds a 5 count beep starts and at 30 seconds a long buzz starts.
If not using a mini marker it still must be placed on the ground next to your disc.

Players would delay placing the mini while they took as much time as they needed to moan about the lack of a "fair" fairway and walk around looking for lines.

Also, if we did use that kind of mini, it should be silent with a display that changed at 30 seconds. We shouldn't interrupt or hurry anyone during their throw - just penalize them after the throw if it took too long.

I've started taking more time to putt in order to talk to myself. That sounds wrong but instead of thinking "bend your knees, extend arm fully, etc" I've started saying it to myself under my breath a few times until I find my spot to hit and 'feel' like it has a good chance.
So I asked the regular guys this past Sunday to time my new routine. Apparently, I went from 2-3 seconds all the way up to 10-11. I also only missed two putts, both spit-outs.

More time helps - some IMO- but once you get to 20+ seconds I feel like I'm just standing there like an idiot while everyone is waiting on me.

I have heard that Nikko has gotten better. It seems like he really didn't realize he was taking too long. There's a video of a skins game, where Nikko is putting and a timer goes off. He stops and asks what that was and the group says he took too long. Calvin had started a timer on him. There's a back and forth, where they discuss when the timer was started...Nikko resets and again the timer went off before he threw. As I recall, he said that he didn't realize he was taking that long.

Wut?

How could Nikko NOT realize he's been taking too long on multiple occasions? I mean, its been all over DG social media...Facebook, Insta, Twitter...and none of his buddies/sponsors/acquaintances never once said anything about that? I find the idea that he didn't know hard to believe.

Yeah I call BS on the "I had no idea" theory. There's no possible way he hasn't heard the chatter surrounding his slow pace. Either he knows, is totally oblivious to the ENTIRE world of DG, or he's just the biggest idiot alive.

Also. Ignorance is no excuse for breaking rules.

Here's the skins match that Calvin times Nikko. Emerson Keith even passes them on one tee and says 'This'll take an extra hour with Nikko on the card"

Yeah I call BS on the "I had no idea" theory. There's no possible way he hasn't heard the chatter surrounding his slow pace. Either he knows, is totally oblivious to the ENTIRE world of DG, or he's just the biggest idiot alive.

Also. Ignorance is no excuse for breaking rules.

The impression I got from the Skins coverage was that he thought essentially "Yeah, I'm slow, but I'm not THAT slow...what? That was already 30 seconds? I'm THAT slow? I didn't think I was that outrageously slow".

Sounded like he was saying he knew he was slow, but didn't know he was taking MULTIPLE times the allotted time to throw his putts.

I'm not saying I necessarily believe him, but I also didn't get the impression he was saying he didn't know he was slow. Just that he didn't know he was as absurdly slow as they timed him to be. Specifically, that he was so horribly slow on the putts he thought he was putting relatively quickly compared to his normal routine.

The impression I got from the Skins coverage was that he thought essentially "Yeah, I'm slow, but I'm not THAT slow...what? That was already 30 seconds? I'm THAT slow? I didn't think I was that outrageously slow".

Sounded like he was saying he knew he was slow, but didn't know he was taking MULTIPLE times the allotted time to throw his putts.

I'm not saying I necessarily believe him, but I also didn't get the impression he was saying he didn't know he was slow. Just that he didn't know he was as absurdly slow as they timed him to be. Specifically, that he was so horribly slow on the putts he thought he was putting relatively quickly compared to his normal routine.

How oblivious do you have to be to not know tho? It'd be different if he wasn't the poster child for ridiculously slow putting. Clearly he was never too concerned. All he'd have to do after hearing some of the chatter would be to watch himself on coverage once with a stopwatch.

The OTB skins Nikko roast was scripted. It would have come off better had they used a SNL writer.

It amazes me how long 30 sec feels when you're just standing, doing nothing but looking at a link on a chain.

It amazes me how long 30 sec feels when you're just standing, doing nothing but looking at a link on a chain.

The wind at Central Assembly of God DGC is unpredictable and blustery a good bit. If it's that kind of day, and I try to wait the wind out on a putt, 30 seconds absolutely does seem like a long time sitting over the putt.

Be interesting to gather some data on a player's rating or scoring average on a layout before versus after using a rangefinder.

My guesstimate.

Before.

800 rated.

After, 780 rated. They kept going for the Nuke on the 150' hole.

Sure if you just stand still and look at the chains...30sec is long.

But if you walk up to your lie, look at a few options. . .walk forward to see the angle, goes back to the lie...decides to throw a FH instead, walk to the bag to change disc. . .wipe the disc...take your stance again.

Then 30sec is short...the sequence above was Cat throwing a few week ago....and that took over a minute

30sec to putt feels long...30sec in a difficult lie on the fairway can go fast

Would it make sense to have a circle vs fairway shot clock? I know that isn't simplifying the rules, but maybe could make a difference in pace of play. :\

How oblivious do you have to be to not know tho? It'd be different if he wasn't the poster child for ridiculously slow putting. Clearly he was never too concerned. All he'd have to do after hearing some of the chatter would be to watch himself on coverage once with a stopwatch.

I think it was more like him knowing he's slow, but then on the ones he thought he did "fast" he was still WAY beyond the 30 second mark...on a putt...just standing there.

It seemed like the revelation was just how "fast" 30 seconds seemed to him. That he was nowhere near ready to putt even on the quick/easy ones in 30 seconds.

He clearly wasn't surprised that he's "slow" generally speaking.

That's what gives me very little hope he's actually going to speed up in a meaningful way.

Wut?

How could Nikko NOT realize he's been taking too long on multiple occasions? I mean, its been all over DG social media...Facebook, Insta, Twitter...and none of his buddies/sponsors/acquaintances never once said anything about that? I find the idea that he didn't know hard to believe.

He's said that the people saying he's taking too long are just haters. I recall he's said it on social media and there was a video of an interview with him where he said the same thing. I recall a tournament he was in where some spectator called him on his time and he said he was taking all of his allowed time....timing him on the video, he took over 30 seconds.

Honestly, most people don't know how long something takes without a clock or mentally timing it. My dad was a cop and said that when they interviewed witnesses, their sense of how long something took widely varied.

I know when I'm making a throw/putt, I have absolutely no clue as to how long I really take. So I can believe Nikko....but, I also feel that, with the amount of people saying he takes too long, he should have had someone time him during a practice round to see if all the 'haters' were actually right. One other thing in Nikko's favor - no cardmate ever called/calls him on excessive time...and it's only the cardmates that matter. Basically, if they don't call it - it didn't happen.

So I played golf growing up. Things were going pretty well, and then I got to the point where I'd stand over the ball and I couldn't swing. I did this thing where I'd shuffle weight between both feet and when it felt "right", I'd swing. And it got to the point where I was standing over the ball for a minute or so and never got that "right" feeling. And it felt like 10 seconds instead of 2 seconds. But it was a minute or more. It was an anxiety thing. I think that is where Nikko is...

Honestly, I feel really bad for him.

So I played golf growing up. Things were going pretty well, and then I got to the point where I'd stand over the ball and I couldn't swing. I did this thing where I'd shuffle weight between both feet and when it felt "right", I'd swing. And it got to the point where I was standing over the ball for a minute or so and never got that "right" feeling. And it felt like 10 seconds instead of 2 seconds. But it was a minute or more. It was an anxiety thing. I think that is where Nikko is...

Honestly, I feel really bad for him.

It's going to sound dumb when I say I have nightmares about this...but I 100% do. I also play ball golf, and I do the same thing where I kind of shift weight, slightly move my feet, over and over in tiny little movements until it feels "right". In my nightmares I stand there, doing that, over and over, and it never feels right. All I can think about is everyone watching and waiting, and I never get to that point where I feel right enough to swing. In my nightmare I'll walk away, turn around, walk back...but nothing I do ever gets to that "right feeling" which leaves me unable to take a swing.

It's going to sound dumb when I say I have nightmares about this...but I 100% do. I also play ball golf, and I do the same thing where I kind of shift weight, slightly move my feet, over and over in tiny little movements until it feels "right". In my nightmares I stand there, doing that, over and over, and it never feels right. All I can think about is everyone watching and waiting, and I never get to that point where I feel right enough to swing. In my nightmare I'll walk away, turn around, walk back...but nothing I do ever gets to that "right feeling" which leaves me unable to take a swing.

Yeah. It started getting bad when I started to have to tee off in front of a lot of people frequently. I played several years like that and it was awful. Quitting golf might be the best day of my life.