• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Exercise - 920 calories burned an hour.

The 460 per hour is much more realistic than the 920. Of course it depends on how fast you play. For most casual players with several in your group I would say you probably burn less than 460. Of course if you play alone and run you would burn a lot more. I consider it a part of my exercise program. I also hit the gym and walk outside for exercise. I try to do something almost every day. Usually I play more than 18 holes at a time.

I would go to venture that some courses will probably burn more calories than others, and that's its not necessarily the hardest courses that would do it. Sure that might mean more length, or more ground covered looking for errant shots, but it also will mean more down time.

A lot of it depends on the speed you play too. When I play with groups of people or newer players so there's lots of waiting and standing around, I can play all day without feeling like I've done anything. When Ashleigh and I are on a road trip though, we move. We'll get through 5-8 courses in a day moving at a pretty fast pace, even with hilly tough courses, and we both lose weight on road trips because of that.
Something like this is probably the most important factor.

I played this course http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3925, this summer. It's a rugged course with brutal rough (which I was in pretty often). I played it alone and I was the only one on the course, so I kept up a good pace. I'll swear I lost 5 lbs that day, plus whatever a quart of blood weighs. When I got home, I was totally wiped out. :thmbup:

In the summer I often play 100+ holes (5-8 rounds) without too much effort, yeah, I feel worked after a full day. But this time of year, as I'm approaching hole 18 on one of the shortest courses in the area, trudging through knee deep snow I am worked after only about an hour of playing, phew - today was a workout.

My course is very hilly. There's a hill on the course known as "Man Maker" for the cross country runners in the area. It's in play in 3 different holes. There are also a plethora of sizes of hills throughout the course. When I first started playing, I would be worn out after any more than one round. I can believe 460cal an hour playing here.

Since I've started playing regularly (between 3-6 times a week), I've noticed that I have been losing weight. I have been eating less for a variety of reasons the last few months and since I haven't been lifting, I'm starting to become lean and lanky. I call it my disc golf physique lol.

I'm happy with 460 Calories/hour. I thought it would be less. Granted you probably aren't going to get any of the advantages of aerobic exercise or weight lifting but burning more calories is good.

Don't forget 5+ lbs of discs, 2lbs + of water, all your crap, your bag's weight etc...

You are probably lugging between 10-20lbs. I believe my bag weighed 16.

That puts you into "backpacking" category not just walking.

You are basically taking a 2hr hike + throwing.

I would really be skeptical about that 920 number. While calories burned during exercise will very with intensity and how much you weigh, running for one hour--straight through--at a pretty decent pace will burn around 800 calories. Swimming at a moderate to fast pace burns around 700, again for a full hour.

I'm hesitant to believe that walking in the woods for a couple hours and throwing a piece of plastic 60 times will be as, if not more, effective than running or swimming.

Disc golf is definitely a great thing to get into if you're looking for some kind of physical recreation. No doubt it burns some calories and has a lot of good effects on circulation and junk (I'm no doctor), but it's no substitute for real aerobic exercise. If we burned 920 cals per round, we'd be the most fit group of white college kids in the country. Woooooo

So, we estimated the MET of disc golf at 4.0, which is slightly below the 4.3 of playing ball golf, walking, while carrying clubs. The estimate is slightly lower because of the weight difference in carrying a bag of discs vs carrying a bag of golf clubs

Doesn't look like they factored in elevation change ... which would make disc golf have a higher "MET" than ball golf IMO.

The elevation is hard to factor in as some courses are flat and others are more like mountain climbing. I think the benefit of the calculator is that it gives you a ballpark calorie burn...if you are walking up and down 20 or 30 feet every hole then you know that you burned more calories than what it says.

please people, it isn't "ball golf," it's "country club golf." They make somebody else or a machine carry their **** for them.

Doesn't look like they factored in elevation change ... which would make disc golf have a higher "MET" than ball golf IMO.

I wouldn't think so, at least not in my area. There is only one DG course within 75 miles of me that even comes close to the elevation changes that most of the golf courses in the area have. I am just about spent after walking one round of golf and I can play 4-5 rounds of disc golf without having the same feeling.

My friends swear up and down Disc Golf is not exercise.

But I've lost 62 pounds doing it. They can bitch and poke fun all they want but it's hard to argue with results

All the research I've done comes out to 220-460 calories an hour depending on terrain and weather

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/x809654252/Disc-golf-is-exercise-disguised-as-fun

it's funny to think, but i use DG as part of my overall workout routine...Every day i (either) work out at gym with weights, run, or play dg for an extended period.

i never realized that (theoretically) 4 hours of DG would burn off a pound of weight.

The number of calories for playing disc golf is GROSSLY overrated in your article. Most estimations of energy used in terms of exercise are, however.

2 hours working very hard at a gym will maybe net you that amount of calories burned.

Latest posts