• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Facebook, Twitter or Instagram?

Which do you use? Check all that apply.

• Twitter

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Instagram

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Facebook

Votes: 72 56.7%
  • None

Votes: 43 33.9%

• Total voters
Facebook seems to be the dominant one for disc golf because of how easy it is to manage events via facebook. You can't really do that on either twitter or instagram.

Different things for different stuff. What most people would define as how they use social media, I use instagram. I have facebook to stay in touch with friends and family back in MO, and to follow local disc golf stuff. Twitter, eh, take it or leave it.

I don't use any of them particularly often though. My wife uses them all more than enough for both of us.

None. I'm 28 and if I'm on the computer (or internet on my phone) I'm on here reading things most find not important (like following ODRBs itb, checking the marketplace, responding to various threads in General, etc...)

If I really wanna play a tourney, and I typically plan a ways in advance to make arrangements, I'll just go to PDGA. I like sanctioned tournaments.

I know when all the leagues meet in my area. I've learned that by getting to know the DG community in my area by playing all the time. Furthermore, I learn of local events from going to them as well.

Never fell into the whole social media shtuff.

For those of you who said "None"...where do you find out about disc golf tournaments, leagues and whatnot?

I use Facebook and Instagram, but I mostly hear about disc golf tournaments from flyers and checking discgolfunited and discgolfscene

For those of you who said "None"...where do you find out about disc golf tournaments, leagues and whatnot?
Used to be these wonderful things called interest based forums. When someone posted something at 9:00 AM on Monday, it was visible to anyone by 9:00 AM reading the forum. For local matters, there were subforums where league times and locations were announced, and results were posted.

Now TD's announce events on Facebook, and those announcements are seen in potential player's feeds anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of days later. I now have to join about twelve different local FB groups to get the same information that used to be neatly organized on one forum.

But everyone is so whorishly addicted to their damned phones, (which is really the catalyst that made the way the information was disseminated change) that people would sadly rather use disorganized social media that is better adapted to mobile use than organized forum boards which admittedly are kind of clunky. You either got on board with it, or you got left out in the cold. If not for such, I still might not be on Facebook today.

Not exactly progress folks. Stop sucking the Zuck, and Apple and Google too while you're at it.

[/angry rant]

Last edited:
Facebook.
The leagues, tournaments, and minis around here are all organized via FB.
Lots of casual rounds are arranged via FB too.

Over 100 votes now and about 1/3rd of us don't use social media at all. Out of the 2/3rds who do, I wonder how many of us only got goaded into signing up for Facebook because our disc golf friends stopped communicating on forums. (Guilty!)

League and tournament directors, take note. There's still value in forums, posting flyers at the course and good ol' word of mouth.

Like many I use Facebook to keep up with family and friends but I have the app on my phone because it's a CPU and battery hog. I also have no intention of sharing every bit of consumable data from my phone so that's another reason why I don't use the Facebook app. For disc golf related stuff I use reddit (still pretty bad in regards to terms and services) but what can you do? If it's of even slight interest it will end up on reddit, whether its Facebook or other social media stuff related to DG.

Like others, I begrudgingly go on FB just for DG info. Twitter is crap for DG purposes but extremely useful for finding anonymous people with abysmal ideology. FB is useful for finding people with abysmal ideology also but the problem there is you'll actually know the people, like my friend that moved to China to teach English b/c his massive debt inducing liberal arts degree from UNC wasn't worth a Werther's Original in the economy of the Obama admin (or W. Bush to be objective) but rants daily about how terrible, anti-environment and despotic the US is now even though he lives in Communist China. Yeah.

I'd burn them all to the ground if I had the power though.

I have never used Twitter or Instagram. I've been off Facebook for a few years now. I ran across a PDGA-sanctioned tourney recently (L tier sanctioned mini?) that I couldn't get info on because the link was to a Facebook page. I could email the TD, but I don't really have the time to play anyways... could also just use someone else's account, but I have thus resisted the temptation.

I do find it curious that social media seems to have become a standard, accepted form of communication.

Facebook.
It been really handy with spreading the word about tournaments I run.

I've spent the better park of 5 years blocking all the garbage sites that FB "suggests" for me so now my news feed is 99% disc golf & craft beer.

Latest posts