• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Fairly new player looking for a new disc

Hey guys. Like the title says, I am a fairly new player, and I need a new disk. I have been doing research, but there are so many options for types of disc and types of plastic that I am overwhelmed with options, and I was looking for opinions from experienced players. Right now, I am thinking I should get the Boss, Destroyer, or Wraith. Are these good options? Which is best? (I don't have a ton of arm strength, I can only get like 200 feet right now. What other info do you need?) What type of plastic should I get it in?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

*Step away from the long wing drivers*

New players need just a few discs to start the addiction and rapidly improve their games.
The best advice I can give you is to pick up a Wizard and a Roc.
The Wizard is widely regarded as the best putter out there. The Roc, the best mid. These are subjective but there is no one out there that will tell you that either mold isn't a good building block.

Take these discs to the course and work on throwing them high, flat and hard. Once you can start pushing these discs out further and further you will notice that your ability to throw any other disc will enhance.

Don't get a Boss, Destroyer, or Wraith. :)

Stick with understable fairway drivers, straight midranges, and a putter that feels great in your hand. Speed 7 discs and below is where you want to be.

What are your discs right now?

*Step away from the long wing drivers*

New players need just a few discs to start the addiction and rapidly improve their games.
The best advice I can give you is to pick up a Wizard and a Roc.
The Wizard is widely regarded as the best putter out there. The Roc, the best mid. These are subjective but there is no one out there that will tell you that either mold isn't a good building block.

Take these discs to the course and work on throwing them high, flat and hard. Once you can start pushing these discs out further and further you will notice that your ability to throw any other disc will enhance.

Right now, my putter is a Rhyno and my mid is a Panther. Are those ok? I would like to get a Roc but they seem to be hard to find now.

Side note: I see a lot of Tern recommendations for farthest distance. Is this a disc that only people with a lot of power and distance could use well?

Don't get a Boss, Destroyer, or Wraith. :)

Stick with understable fairway drivers, straight midranges, and a putter that feels great in your hand. Speed 7 discs and below is where you want to be.

What are your discs right now?

Putter: Rhyno
Mid: Panther, Gator (use Panther)
Driver: Beast, Valkyrie (Beast for straight throws, Valkytire for throws angled to the left)

I would probably reckoned you getting a more neutral putter in a baseline plastic like a Pro D Challenger, SS Wizard, DX Aviar, Karbon Touch or the new DGA Steady. It will help your short range game a lot and won't subject you to the hard fade or a Rhyno.

Panther will probably get floppy for you in time, but is fine. Roc, Buzzz, and Truth are all good stable miss that are good in any plastic.

What plastic is your Valk? A Star Valkarie is a fine driver if you feel you need one, I'd also look at a Leopard, View or anothe fairly straight speed 8 or less disc.

I would probably reckoned you getting a more neutral putter in a baseline plastic like a Pro D Challenger, SS Wizard, DX Aviar, Karbon Touch or the new DGA Steady. It will help your short range game a lot and won't subject you to the hard fade or a Rhyno.

Panther will probably get floppy for you in time, but is fine. Roc, Buzzz, and Truth are all good stable miss that are good in any plastic.

What plastic is your Valk? A Star Valkarie is a fine driver if you feel you need one, I'd also look at a Leopard, View or anothe fairly straight speed 8 or less disc.

I have been looking at getting a Leopard. My Valkyrie is Champion.

@Captain - you will literally get 100 of different disc recommendations. Instead do yourself a favor and check this thread out.

How to Build a Bag

Garu goes through an excellent way to build a small beginners bag that will teach you a lot about throwing and golf lines.

Also, the Technique subforum should be your friend, not the Equipment.

O and at that arm speed stay away from MVP/Axiom.

Unfortunately, the hard truth is that until your throwing form improves any of those wider rimmed drivers won't fly well for you. They will not go far and dump hard at the end and frustrate the crap out of you. It's entirely likely the Panther will go further.
We've all started in the same place and many of us rushed out and bought wide rimmed drivers and struggled with them, so our attempts to dissuade certain purchases are an attempt to save you much frustration. Ultimately it's up to you and what your goals are.
If I were you, I'd keep throwing that Panther. I'd mix in a more neutral putter like a beadless Aviar or a Magic and probably a DX or Pro Leopard as a driver.

@Captain - you will literally get 100 of different disc recommendations. Instead do yourself a favor and check this thread out.

How to Build a Bag

Garu goes through an excellent way to build a small beginners bag that will teach you a lot about throwing and golf lines.

Also, the Technique subforum should be your friend, not the Equipment.

Unfortunately, the hard truth is that until your throwing form improves any of those wider rimmed drivers won't fly well for you. They will not go far and dump hard at the end and frustrate the crap out of you. It's entirely likely the Panther will go further.
We've all started in the same place and many of us rushed out and bought wide rimmed drivers and struggled with them, so our attempts to dissuade certain purchases are an attempt to save you much frustration. Ultimately it's up to you and what your goals are.
If I were you, I'd keep throwing that Panther. I'd mix in a more neutral putter like a beadless Aviar or a Magic and probably a DX or Pro Leopard as a driver.

Thanks guys. I will go check out that thread.

Any tips on how to throw a disc? Nobody ever taught me, so maybe I'm just doing it wrong, and that's why my distance is bad? Let me know, thanks!

Thanks guys. I will go check out that thread.

Any tips on how to throw a disc? Nobody ever taught me, so maybe I'm just doing it wrong, and that's why my distance is bad? Let me know, thanks!

My main bag that I currently use grew out of Garublador's method. The simpler your bag the better.

Out of what he recommends I would go Dx Banshee, Dx Cheetah, Dx Shark, D Focus

Technique Sticky

^I hope this doesn't overload you, but the links in that link are all about technique and throwing.

As streets mentioned, dig through the technique section here and do a lot of reading and a lot of video watching. You can search for instructional vids on YouTube also.
Without seeing you throw it's too hard to know what to critique or what tips to provide. As you read the technique threads you'll identify things you can change or fix specific to your throw.

Also, there is a form section where you can upload video of your throw and some of the resident form gurus can provide very specific critques tailored exactly to what you're doing. Something to keep in mind.

As streets mentioned, dig through the technique section here and do a lot of reading and a lot of video watching. You can search for instructional vids on YouTube also.
Without seeing you throw it's too hard to know what to critique or what tips to provide. As you read the technique threads you'll identify things you can change or fix specific to your throw.

Also, there is a form section where you can upload video of your throw and some of the resident form gurus can provide very specific critques tailored exactly to what you're doing. Something to keep in mind.

I'll do that, thank you.

Another question: I read that thread, but I don't know what overstable/understable mean. What does it mean?

I appreciate your fanboyism for the Wizard, and other molds. But when a new player comes on here looking for advice, do not be irresponsible and try and steer them away from the entire lineup of a manufacturer. Trolling MVP threads is one thing, but this takes it to a new level.

Captainamerica, the discs you have now are actually fine for a beginner, but I would lean more heavily on your Rhyno and Panther for now. You could get a Roc, like Jcassidy said, and DX Rocs are plentiful at any online store. The Shark is actually a great midrange for beginners as well, as it is a little less stable, flying straighter for your arm speed.

As for MVP/Axiom, there are plenty of options for you, if you happened to go that route. You just have to stick with the slow stuff until your arm can handle faster discs. The Axiom Theory, MVP Tangent, a light weight MVP Switch, a light weight Axiom Inspire and all of the putters are great for beginners.

Last edited:
I'll do that, thank you.

Another question: I read that thread, but I don't know what overstable/understable mean. What does it mean?
Disc Terminology

*Note* All statements will be made assuming a right-handed backhand (RHBH) throw. Left-handed backhand and right-handed forehand throws will result in a flight path opposite of the ones described here.

Hyzer - Releasing the disc with the outter edge at an angle lower than parallel to the ground. This will cause the most discs to curve to the left.
Anhyzer - Releasing the disc with the outter edge at an higher than parallel to the ground. This will cause the most discs to curve to the right.
High Speed Turn - The characteristic of a disc to curve to the right at the beginning of its flight when thrown hard.
Low Speed Fade - The natural tendency of a disc to tail left as it slows down at the end of its flight.
Overstable - A term used to describe the relative resistance to high speed turn and amount of low speed fade of a disc. A more overstable disc will generally have higher resistance to turn and greater low speed fade.
Understable - A term used to describe a disc with relatively low resistance to high speed turn and less low speed fade.
Turnover - The term used to describe the flight of a disc that curves to the right when thrown flat or at hyzer. A less overstable or understable disc will generally be easier to turn over.
Nose Down - Releasing the disc with the front end of the disc lower than the back end. Certain discs will fly better when thrown nose down.
Nose Up - Releasing the disc with the front end of the disc higher than the back end.
Stall Out - A term used to describe the flight of a disc when it peaks in height and drops off to the left without much glide. This generally occurs when the disc is thrown with the nose up.
S-Curve - A term used to describe the flight of a disc when it begins by turning to the right and then "flexes" out and glides back to the left.
Roller - A type of throw where the disc is turned over so far that it lands on its edge and rolls.
Snap - A term used to describe the armspeed and power a player gets into their throw. More snap will generally make the disc fly faster and further.

I appreciate your fanboyism for the Wizard, and other molds. But when a new player comes on here looking for advice, do not be irresponsible and try and steer them away from the entire lineup of a manufacturer. Trolling MVP threads is one thing, but this takes it to a new level.

Take a chill pill brau. I'm not trolling. I would rather someone learn good technique and snap without using discs that require an exaggerated amount of spin to fly.

Disc Terminology

*Note* All statements will be made assuming a right-handed backhand (RHBH) throw. Left-handed backhand and right-handed forehand throws will result in a flight path opposite of the ones described here.

Hyzer - Releasing the disc with the outter edge at an angle lower than parallel to the ground. This will cause the most discs to curve to the left.
Anhyzer - Releasing the disc with the outter edge at an higher than parallel to the ground. This will cause the most discs to curve to the right.
High Speed Turn - The characteristic of a disc to curve to the right at the beginning of its flight when thrown hard.
Low Speed Fade - The natural tendency of a disc to tail left as it slows down at the end of its flight.
Overstable - A term used to describe the relative resistance to high speed turn and amount of low speed fade of a disc. A more overstable disc will generally have higher resistance to turn and greater low speed fade.
Understable - A term used to describe a disc with relatively low resistance to high speed turn and less low speed fade.
Turnover - The term used to describe the flight of a disc that curves to the right when thrown flat or at hyzer. A less overstable or understable disc will generally be easier to turn over.
Nose Down - Releasing the disc with the front end of the disc lower than the back end. Certain discs will fly better when thrown nose down.
Nose Up - Releasing the disc with the front end of the disc higher than the back end.
Stall Out - A term used to describe the flight of a disc when it peaks in height and drops off to the left without much glide. This generally occurs when the disc is thrown with the nose up.
S-Curve - A term used to describe the flight of a disc when it begins by turning to the right and then "flexes" out and glides back to the left.
Roller - A type of throw where the disc is turned over so far that it lands on its edge and rolls.
Snap - A term used to describe the armspeed and power a player gets into their throw. More snap will generally make the disc fly faster and further.

AWESOME. This is what I was looking for, thank you! I am definitely going to be using that "Choosing the Right Golf Disc" page. That has a TON of helpful information. Thank you all!

Just my $0.02 to add to all the advice you've already been given.
First, for terms, google them. The Innova website has a glossary of terms as do other sites, and will explain overstable, understable, and other such terms.
Second, in your initial post, you did not say what you were throwing 200 feet, then later said you had the Beast and Valkyrie. That is IMHO the highest speed driver (speed is the first of those four numbers you see on many discs) you need right now. The Leopard would probably be a very nice addition to your bag and you might well throw it most often as you develop your form and technique.
You can look for a "Roc3" instead of a "Roc", they are similar (IMHO, the "VRoc" is not similar, but I digress). But I use a Panther myself and really love it, so I'll endorse the Panther as your mid.
If you like the Rhyno and are successful putting with it, by all means keep doing so. If it's not working well for you, the Wizard, the Judge and the Aviar are all good putters and come in a huge variety of plastics. Do you like soft or hard plastic or in between? Get what feels good to you and go practice with that putter.
Last, but not least, and this will be contrary to what some others here believe, but IMHO you should develop ONE throwing technique. Learn how to bring the disc across your chest properly, get the "snap" to spin the disk, get the release, and repeat that throwing motion until you do it in your sleep. Don't contort yourself trying to throw one disc three different ways.
Have fun!

Just my $0.02 to add to all the advice you've already been given.
First, for terms, google them. The Innova website has a glossary of terms as do other sites, and will explain overstable, understable, and other such terms.
Second, in your initial post, you did not say what you were throwing 200 feet, then later said you had the Beast and Valkyrie. That is IMHO the highest speed driver (speed is the first of those four numbers you see on many discs) you need right now. The Leopard would probably be a very nice addition to your bag and you might well throw it most often as you develop your form and technique.
You can look for a "Roc3" instead of a "Roc", they are similar (IMHO, the "VRoc" is not similar, but I digress). But I use a Panther myself and really love it, so I'll endorse the Panther as your mid.
If you like the Rhyno and are successful putting with it, by all means keep doing so. If it's not working well for you, the Wizard, the Judge and the Aviar are all good putters and come in a huge variety of plastics. Do you like soft or hard plastic or in between? Get what feels good to you and go practice with that putter.
Last, but not least, and this will be contrary to what some others here believe, but IMHO you should develop ONE throwing technique. Learn how to bring the disc across your chest properly, get the "snap" to spin the disk, get the release, and repeat that throwing motion until you do it in your sleep. Don't contort yourself trying to throw one disc three different ways.
Have fun!

I am really glad I am getting a lot of the same disc recommendations to use. Looks like I'll be getting a Leopard and a Roc, and possibly an Aviar as well. Right now the Rhyno is working well, but I don't have many other things I've used before, so not sure. I'll have to test it out.

Any specific plastics I should get for the Leopard?