• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Faster Star Destroyer/Giant?

I went through about 10 different molds, being in a similar position as you just throwing a touch further. Honestly, as much as this answer sucks, the best thing I found is a seasoned Quasar. I say that answer sucks because you have to "artificially" beat one in, or wait half a year to have the disc you want. But I've never seen another max distance driver cycle as gloriously as Quasars. Other discs wish they could be so incandescent.

I went through about 10 different molds, being in a similar position as you just throwing a touch further. Honestly, as much as this answer sucks, the best thing I found is a seasoned Quasar. I say that answer sucks because you have to "artificially" beat one in, or wait half a year to have the disc you want. But I've never seen another max distance driver cycle as gloriously as Quasars. Other discs wish they could be so incandescent.

i liked the quasar! i bought two and threw them, really enjoyed them . . . but i sold both of mine. :( for the exact reason you are describing.

basically i don't have a cannon so i'm relying on lack of stability to get me over 450' reliably and i can't do that with the quasars i bought. classic case of not enough arm. i'm tired of working on technique but i picked the wrong time of year to want to throw max distance discs . . .

i liked the quasar! i bought two and threw them, really enjoyed them . . . but i sold both of mine. :( for the exact reason you are describing.

basically i don't have a cannon so i'm relying on lack of stability to get me over 450' reliably and i can't do that with the quasars i bought. classic case of not enough arm. i'm tired of working on technique but i picked the wrong time of year to want to throw max distance discs . . .

If you really find the quasar ideal for overstable shots (or the boss of course, which is extremely easy to come across and also comes in star) but don't have any for understable shots there is nothing silly about beating some in! Also there is nothing wrong with throwing quasars AND katanas! If you're a harrrd mold minimalist (silly) then just beat some in and hope to find some that molded up with lower PLH.

Yeah if you hadn't sold the Quasars I'd say pair them with something like a Nuke, Crank, Trespass, D3 etc.

IMO Once you start hitting the 400-420' mark it's going to be more about form than what disc you use unfortunately.

i agree with Mike in that Quasars when beat in are just glorious, the solution I found to getting one already a bit less stable is getting a heavy "blizzard" (whatever they call it I can't think of it off thet op of my head"

I picked up a 163g Blizzard Quasar and it starts out with enough high speed turn that you can hyzerflip it off the bat. It's really paired nicely with my newer Quasar.

Cannons are the farthest flying disc I've thrown... when you find a good one. I love Legacy plastic but it's incredibly hard to find two of the same disc. I've had cannons that were straight flip machines from the get go and some that are so beefy and glideless that they're unthrowable for what I want. For that reason I kind of gave up on them but if you can find the right one you can hyzerflip them forever.

A Boss to me doesn't make sense for you because it is very similar to a Qausar except it's really hard to find good ones, you can buy a ton and not get one like you want. I like the Quasar because it is ran way less so you get a more consistent product.

I love Giants too, they have so much glide for being that OS. They're mor similar to the PD2 in stability however the PD2 has less glide which can be useful but you definitely can get more D with a Giant than a PD2.. unless you're Simon.

i agree with Mike in that Quasars when beat in are just glorious, the solution I found to getting one already a bit less stable is getting a heavy "blizzard" (whatever they call it I can't think of it off thet op of my head"

I picked up a 163g Blizzard Quasar and it starts out with enough high speed turn that you can hyzerflip it off the bat. It's really paired nicely with my newer Quasar.

Cannons are the farthest flying disc I've thrown... when you find a good one. I love Legacy plastic but it's incredibly hard to find two of the same disc. I've had cannons that were straight flip machines from the get go and some that are so beefy and glideless that they're unthrowable for what I want. For that reason I kind of gave up on them but if you can find the right one you can hyzerflip them forever.

A Boss to me doesn't make sense for you because it is very similar to a Qausar except it's really hard to find good ones, you can buy a ton and not get one like you want. I like the Quasar because it is ran way less so you get a more consistent product.

I love Giants too, they have so much glide for being that OS. They're mor similar to the PD2 in stability however the PD2 has less glide which can be useful but you definitely can get more D with a Giant than a PD2.. unless you're Simon.

I agree with all of this. I had the same experience with all discs. I had a 167 Star Boss that crushed, then one that was a meathook of death.

I stopped throwing legacy purely because how overpriced any non-fugly disc is among the legacy community. All of the good cannons (the non-flippy non overstable monster ones) go for $30+. They have such a high price point market.

I'm currently sticking with giants. It looks like they are working their way into making more different plastic blends for giants which would make it much easier to cycle them. They currently have BT giants but you aren't getting those for less than $30. Hopefully between this new Elasto plastic and the new base line plastic they are releasing (can't remember the name) giants will finally have a baseline option while the premium plastic gets seasoned.

I would summarize as
Cannons -> Expensive
Boss -> Treasure Hunt
Giant -> Pretty OS on the spectrum
Quasar -> $$ if you have the time

I think VIP worlds are a viable option. I have an opaque VIP that really does fly like I'd want a seasoned giant to fly like.

I think I'm actually moving towards Giant -> World -> Havoc. I am pretty slim on molds but I make exceptions for distance drivers.

Nukes and Bosses are both interesting to me and I've thrown a fair number of them. In my experience (and take this with a grain of salt because it's just the ones I've bought), it's a lot easier to find Nukes that are high PLH and super OS than it is to find Bosses that way. Nukes tend towards being a bit more OS than I want for max D whereas Bosses tend towards being a bit less stable than I want for max D, although I've found bombers in both molds. I haven't bought many Nukes that were too flippy out of the box but I've definitely bought Bosses that were too flippy. I think finding one that's really nice out of the box tends to be a bit of a treasure hunt with either mold. For what it's worth, my longest flying Boss is a red 169g Star with a super pop top dome, but only average PLH. It will flip nicely and glide forever with a mild fade at the end. I've been hunting for another one like that for years but still haven't found one to match it.

A while back I recall someone mentioning that it seemed like there is a lot more PLH variation due to cooling with high speed drivers which I think is true. I also think small variances in PLH tend to cause bigger differences in stability with high speed drivers than they do in lower speed discs. So it's just harder in general to find one that is just right, no matter which manufacturer/mold you are looking at.

This may not be quite in the realm of what you are looking for, but because the Cannon has been mentioned, I figured I might suggest a Missilen. It's much less stable than advertised (as many trilogy discs are) but they are insanely fast, and given a decent amount of height they will take a gentle turn and then fade back out. Been going back and forth between two of these and two cannons. Can't decide which I perfer. So far, the Cannons fade harder for me. I should note that I throw RHFH with fairly hard snap so the Missilen may have less turn initially if you throw BH.

should also mention i had a brief stint with the P DD2; it bombed pretty good. saw there were some pretty domey stars? maybe two P DD2's and a star for the beef?

Came here to say DD2.

The new run of S-lines are actually the beefiest.

I carry a C-line (older run, can handle snap) and an Echo S-line which has insane glide and has a little more turn than my C-line.

I'd recommend pairing a new run S-line and an Echo S-line.

Came here to say DD2.

The new run of S-lines are actually the beefiest.

I carry a C-line (older run, can handle snap) and an Echo S-line which has insane glide and has a little more turn than my C-line.

I'd recommend pairing a new run S-line and an Echo S-line.

Yea, I got turned off pretty quick to the DD2. Had one of the first runs, the C-Line SParkle European Open ones and it was stupid OS so I never looked at them again.

Prodigy D1.

I used to use destroyers, but not anymore.

Prodigy D1.

I used to use destroyers, but not anymore.

See now when I was throwing the D1 it didnt feel faster, fly faster or go further than destroyers for me. Though it is a good rival for the destroyer.

On the DD2 subject, I do think it's a very viable option. I've had a few from a C-Line 175 that was pretty overstable to an understable P-Line. I can tell the disc is rocket ship fast, it gets out there like the Cannon but with a more forward penetrating fade. Of course it's going to come down to disc to disc and finding the right stability/PLH for your disc speed. I may have to pick up a couple more myself. I love throwing the disc.

Legacy Outlaw is what has replaced my destroyers, i have tried replacing it in the past a few times and the destroyer always found a way back into the bag. This time i think its out for good. The Outlaw isn't a destroyer clone but it does everything a destroyer can but i think its a touch faster/longer because i can throw it about 20' past my destroyers with the same control and the plastic is better too.

Legacy Outlaw is what has replaced my destroyers, i have tried replacing it in the past a few times and the destroyer always found a way back into the bag. This time i think its out for good. The Outlaw isn't a destroyer clone but it does everything a destroyer can but i think its a touch faster/longer because i can throw it about 20' past my destroyers with the same control and the plastic is better too.

The problem I have with outlaws is purely the buyers market. They have already gotten up to premium destroyer prices and they just came out!

For whatever reason Rampages/Cannons/Outlaws/Rivals sell for stupid high prices and they seem to have quite a bit of variation from run to run and among different colors.

There's not really any point in looking for a 'faster' Destroyer... discs can only legally be manufactured a tiny bit faster. If you like how Destroyers fly, throw them. That being said, the Outlaw is probably the closest thing that has a larger rim in my experience. Personally, I throw D1s and D3s. D1s are a bit more overstable than destroyers, D3s are a bit less overstable but absolutely crush.

Yeah, I've essentially realised I'd be best suited for now by seasoning in a giant and for max d I have an elite x nuke. I also found an extremely flat flx nuke that flies reliably hss. So we will see if that can replace my giants moving forward. If not I will simply throw the giant for controlled distance and the nuke for max.

The nukes fly farther than the destroyer for me when taking my understable destroyer vs my understable x nuke ; and It's not a stability thing...it's a "wider rims fly farther" thing. Which is why I asked the question to begin with....perhaps I should've been more specific. I appreciate everyone's input though, so thank you.