• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Feldberg interview from Japan Open 2010

I posted this earlier on another DG site and believe it should be repeated here:

I've known a few of the top pros in different sports over the years. One thing I've learned from talking with them, one on one privately, is it's the fear of losing, not the thrill of winning that drives these guys internally.

Having been a competitive athlete throughout most of my life, one thing I learned early on was if it doesn't sting like a bit@h to lose, then you're not really competing as hard as you can. Instead of pointing my finger at the other guy and whining, the first thing I did was point the finger at myself and analyzes what I did wrong. Hell, months after I lost playing in an event, I would wake up in the middle of the night with my heart pounding, short of breath, after dreaming about missing some shot that cost me winning the event.

What Dave F. and other top players in this sport have done while being interviewed on video is just flat wrong! If this sport has any chance of reaching the big time, you don't criticize other players on camera for the world to see. If I was in the position of being a potential National Tour sponsor, I would take one look at this and other video interviews I've seen lately and know, for a fact, I would take my money and run for the hills. If you have to criticize other players to make yourself feel better, do it privately, not with a camera rolling.

If I was head of the PDGA, I would call these guys down with a suspension, a fine or both. The only way to clean this up is to hit them in the wallet.

Hey, Dave and the other whiny little *******s, a word of warning. The future of this sport is in your hands. When the camera's rolling, at least act like you have some honor and integrity toward the other competitors and, hence, the game. It just might pay off in the long run. Get it through your head, the general disc buying public, who support the companies who support you, is looking for Apple Pie, Mom and the All American Boy. Always keep in mind, you are the ambassadors of the sport.

Anybody remember, in the movie "Bull Durham", Kevin Costner teaching Tim Robbins how to interview once he makes it to the Big Show?

These DG guys seriously need a PR consultant!

Woodpecker< still has a lot of respect for Feldberg for what he's done for the game.

Woodpecker said:
I posted this earlier on another DG site and believe it should be repeated here:

I've known a few of the top pros in different sports over the years. One thing I've learned from talking with them, one on one privately, is it's the fear of losing, not the thrill of winning that drives these guys internally.

Having been a competitive athlete throughout most of my life, one thing I learned early on was if it doesn't sting like a bit@h to lose, then you're not really competing as hard as you can. Instead of pointing my finger at the other guy and whining, the first thing I did was point the finger at myself and analyzes what I did wrong. Hell, months after I lost playing in an event, I would wake up in the middle of the night with my heart pounding, short of breath, after dreaming about missing some shot that cost me winning the event.

What Dave F. and other top players in this sport have done while being interviewed on video is just flat wrong! If this sport has any chance of reaching the big time, you don't criticize other players on camera for the world to see. If I was in the position of being a potential National Tour sponsor, I would take one look at this and other video interviews I've seen lately and know, for a fact, I would take my money and run for the hills. If you have to criticize other players to make yourself feel better, do it privately, not with a camera rolling.

If I was head of the PDGA, I would call these guys down with a suspension, a fine or both. The only way to clean this up is to hit them in the wallet.

Hey, Dave and the other whiny little *******s, a word of warning. The future of this sport is in your hands. When the camera's rolling, at least act like you have some honor and integrity toward the other competitors and, hence, the game. It just might pay off in the long run. Get it through your head, the general disc buying public, who support the companies who support you, is looking for Apple Pie, Mom and the All American Boy. Always keep in mind, you are the ambassadors of the sport.

Anybody remember, in the movie "Bull Durham", Kevin Costner teaching Tim Robbins how to interview once he makes it to the Big Show?

Woodpecker< still has a lot of respect for Feldberg for what he's done for the game.

That's way harsh. I actually don't think this interview, or interviews like this, are bad for the game. He's got personality, which is interesting. It would be boring if eveyone handled losing the same. MacEnroe was a D-Bag, but he pulled in viewers, became a character, created some drama, made tennis interesting on a level that was seperate from the acutal sport.

Drama, rivalries, this stuff makes sports interesting.

I would have done everything to get that video and make sure no one saw it if it were me. I am glad people don't follow me around with a camera.

Flipflat said:
Woodpecker said:

That's way harsh. I actually don't think this interview, or interviews like this, are bad for the game. He's got personality, which is interesting. It would be boring if eveyone handled losing the same. MacEnroe was a D-Bag, but he pulled in viewers, became a character, created some drama, made tennis interesting on a level that was seperate from the acutal sport.

Drama, rivalries, this stuff makes sports interesting.

Would you agree that DG is in its infancy as a nationally recognized sport? The quote: "Disc golf is the largest sport in the world that nobody has ever heard of." comes to mind.

The reason the bad boys of tennis, such as McEnroe and Connors, could act like whiny little babies on the court of the world stage was because the likes of Rod Laver, Ken Rosewall and others paved the way for these brats and acted with honor and integrity while being interviewed in the infancy of the professional game.. The professional game was well established by the time of Mac and Jimmy showed up. It wasn't until years later that it came out that many of early pros couldn't stand each other. Again, in front of the cameras it was all smiles and congratulations.

You are right about drama. Everyone loves a train wreck and watching some pro go off on a full tilt bogey can be entertaining. You think NASCAR is so popular because people love watching cars go around in circles? Maybe, just maybe, it's the anticipation of a pile up and flying bodies, ya think?

It's too early in the development of the game for this kind of behavior by so many of the top players. When the paychecks get into 5,6 or 7 digits for winning, maybe then, a bad boy can emerge but, not until then.

Again, in reference to the movie "Bull Durham", when Costner's character refers to the mold on Nuke's shower flip flops. He says, "When you are making a million a year, the press will see you as eccentric. Until then, you just a bum!"

We don't need moldy flip flops while this game is trying to achieve a national stage. As a friend of mine said, "If we had the money they have in ball golf, they'd be the bums."

All I'm saying is to keep it clean until the mega bucks arrive, if they ever do. Show some CLASS because you never know who's watching.

Woodpecker<just thinking of the future of the sport and I still have a picture somewhere of Jimmy Connors on center court of the French Open giving the crowd a double bird salute. LOL

Anybody see that Feldberg gave Nikko another win head to head? Not only that but he gave Nikko all four rounds in succession. He must be feeling pretty generous this past month or so.

I'm a big fan of having Stepford players. I am not a big fan of personality or conflict and think that mild blandness will help our sport grow.

I'm sure videos like these make Innova wince.

I'll use the best analogy I have. I used to play competitive paintball. And for any of you who have played the game, think Billy Ceranski/any of the old Aftershock players vs. Ollie Lang.

Billy Ceranski - super badass old school player with a superstar complex and a chip on his shoulder. Everybody wants his jersey until...

Oliver Lang - even more badass new school player who's relentlessly cool to his fans, carries a sense of humility and reps his sponsors hard.

Let's check in now: Billy isn't even playing anymore last time I checked. And Oliver was the first pro paintballer to sign to $100,000 + salary contract.

Why? Because sponsors want a player who can become the face of their brand, not just win using their products.

Hole5guy made a video blog about the majestic (video blogs seem to be the thing to do in wisconsin these days) but in it chris heeren and scotty burtard had an intense skiball match at space alien and they both used lines from feldbergs interview a few times. Was pretty funny.

rusch_bag said:
Hole5guy made a video blog about the majestic (video blogs seem to be the thing to do in wisconsin these days) but in it chris heeren and scotty burtard had an intense skiball match at space alien and they both used lines from feldbergs interview a few times. Was pretty funny.

You tease. Where's the link?

jsun3thousand said:
rusch_bag said:

You tease. Where's the link?

Sorry, haven't checked this thread in a while. It is about a 3rd or 4th of the way in where it happens.

http://www.hole5guy.com/majesticBlog.html

I was watching the "Clash at Renny Gold" and DF is in there b***hing his way through it at the end because they lost. I guess even back in '06 or '07 he was that way...jeez. Can't he just maintain a good face to the camera and hold that stuff under his breath? :roll:

Latest posts