• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Feldberg interview from Japan Open 2010

Lame Dave, lame. Just be gracious, congratulate Nikko for the win and move on.
You are one of (if not THE) best players in the world. No need to prove anything, man.
It also smelled of a set-up (you asked your buddy to interview you so you could "explain" the embarrassing melt-down). So unnecessary.

I didn't get too bad a vibe from dave until the nemesis chat, but whatever. Its not straight up smack talking like you get in more directly competitive sports. I wouldn't give the guy too hard a time, but it is always nice to hear people being humble and are out played, even if you are out played due to your own mistakes.

T-Bird said:
Lame Dave, lame. Just be gracious, congratulate Nikko for the win and move on.
You are one of (if not THE) best players in the world. No need to prove anything, man.
It also smelled of a set-up (you asked your buddy to interview you so you could "explain" the embarrassing melt-down). So unnecessary.

well he did try to shake Locastro's hand and Locastro didn't take it. sportsmanship is a two way street. after hearing that the kid didn't accept his handshake then he's fair game for derision. I say give Feldberg a break. He's done a lot for this sport in the ways of teaching and growth.

I second the comment that it makes for good golf.

One of my favorite times watching golf was at USDGC this past year when Nikko was catching Dave and eventually surpassing him for the win. You could cut the tension with a knife. Made for a GREAT spectating experience.

Why can't pros be assholes? Seppo Räty is a damn fine man. Foul mouthed bastard who is equally rude to all his competitors (well, at least those he doesn't like), the spectators ("FUCK OFF, TOURIST!"), interviewers ("Go suck your cock." -1991) and especially the hosts of the competition. And he's also a multi medal winner in the Olympics and a world champion (Javelin), and being himself. At least he's honest.

Modern athletes are "supposed" to be role models and set a good example. By faking it all the time?

FUCK. THAT. SHIT.

T-Bird said:
It also smelled of a set-up (you asked your buddy to interview you so you could "explain" the embarrassing melt-down).

Unlikely. thediscgolfguy has 29 videos on YouTube, most of which feature interviews. Feldberg seems the logical choice for that segment anyway.

Shaking Daves hand on the last hole telling him good job and great playing all week I thought he would just lay up to the right for an easy victory.

thats from nikkos website, so if dave did it after im sure nikko didn't realize it (he does seem like an awkward person)

AbelRod said:
Shaking Daves hand on the last hole telling him good job and great playing all week I thought he would just lay up to the right for an easy victory.

thats from nikkos website, so if dave did it after im sure nikko didn't realize it (he does seem like an awkward person)

Someone should tell him that a little punctuation would go a long way. That post is just one HUGE paragraph.

jubuttib said:
Why can't pros be assholes? Seppo Räty is a damn fine man. Foul mouthed bastard who is equally rude to all his competitors (well, at least those he doesn't like), the spectators ("FUCK OFF, TOURIST!"), interviewers ("Go suck your cock." -1991) and especially the hosts of the competition. And he's also a multi medal winner in the Olympics and a world champion (Javelin), and being himself. At least he's honest.

Modern athletes are "supposed" to be role models and set a good example. By faking it all the time?

FUCK. THAT. SHIT.
hell yeah we should all conduct ourselves just like this Seppo Raty character.....like a fuckin douche

Jesse B 707 said:
jubuttib said:

FUCK. THAT. SHIT.
hell yeah we should all conduct ourselves just like this Seppo Raty character.....like a fuckin douche
ratytervTM_ki.jpg

abcd said:
Jesse B 707 said:
jubuttib said:

FUCK. THAT. SHIT.
ratytervTM_ki.jpg
:lol: :lol:
yep looks like a winrar

Jesse B 707 said:
Am I saying everyone should act like douches? No.
Should people be allowed to be who they are? Yes.

And yeah, he definitely isn't nice to look at, isn't that well liked and admittedly is taking the example to the extreme. :) I don't really care though, he's still one of the greatest javelin throwers ever to have lived and he's been true to himself the whole time.

I have very mixed feelings about Feldberg. When we had our last NT in Bowling Green, Feldberg continued to give me tips even after the NT clinic was over, and really showed me a lot of problems with my form, and taught me how to open up more. He didnt need to since the clinic was over, but for some reason he just did, and I appreciated him taking the time to do so, but throughout the tournament all I saw was a whiny douche who thought he was too good to fail. I guess before a tournament he's great, but during I wouldnt want to be around him.

Feldberg said in the interview that the fingernail caused him to leave everything 50 feet short, but that's certainly not what happened in the final nine- he appeared to miss 4 or so putts 1 inch low.

Nice final nine vids.

Its painful to watch Dave give interviews after losses. His commentary in other situations is so much better. I've heard him compliment Nikko on his work ethic and putting in other vids. He should just avoid interviews after losing or improve his post-loss interview skills.
Personally, I thought Terry seemed unconfortable after Dave started degrading Nikko.

why would Dave be required to clap for anybody? Especially Nikko, who might not deserve applause as much as Climo?

I wonder if Dustin Johnson gave any interviews after turning his -6 into a +5 finish in the final round of the US Open yesterday.

ChUcK said:
why would Dave be required to clap for anybody? Especially Nikko, who might not deserve applause as much as Climo?

Eh, no need to, but it's part of being a good sport. When you're the only one not clapping, it's pretty conspicuous that you're making an effort to disrespect your opponent. Heck, Nikko clapped for Dave. At the same time though, I can't exactly say Nikko's behavior after the winning putt was exactly magnanimous (definitely not very Japanese either). At least Nikko is young enough that he has an excuse for less than mature behavior. But whatever, neither of them seem like they'd be particularly fun to golf with--all part of my strategy of mediocrity to ensure that never happens.

On another note, is it just me, or does the guy MCing sound like he had a former career as a bush league wrasslin' announcer?

EDIT: haha, I happened to stumble across this after I posted, and it seems fitting to the discussion at hand: http://www.thisblogrules.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/be-yourself.jpg