• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

finding waterhole disc

Since par, buzzz and roc have already been addressed.

The next line of DGCR questioning should include:

Is this a moralistic choice?

And

How does this improve/grow the sport?

Your next line of DGCR reasoning should be:

Don't tell me what I should or shoudn't ingest, and/or I'll try to convince you otherwise.

And

Hey you kids get off my lawn!

To me, if you have to ask this question, then your conscience already knows the answer to it. And if this sort of thing doesn't really bother your conscience ...

... you could try a legal answer. Find out what your state's laws say about found property where the owner of said property can or cannot be determined.

I posted on the most found disc thread the other day and I was wrong. out of 50 disc 10 were valkries, just passing that on. once again you all have provided great opinions ands solutions.
I am going to start a local lost and found box at a local business.

If I throw a disc in some nasty ass water and then walk away without trying to get it back, then at that point it is no longer my disc. If someone else feels like jumping in some water that I chose not to, then in my opinion, it's theirs. They can have it. However, many people feel quite the opposite. Trust me, this has been discussed before. And if this thread gets going, those with opposing viewpoints will certainly make their opinions heard. But I say do what you want with them.

I also agree. Do what you want to with them. They are yours.

... you could try a legal answer. Find out what your state's laws say about found property where the owner of said property can or cannot be determined.
Thing is, the person with a "finders keepers" mentality doesn't really care about those sort of things, as we've demonstrated on here in the previous 2,000 discussions about this very subject.

i think its completely foolish and selfish for people to write their name and number on **** they throw as far away from them as they can and expect people to go out of their way to return it when they lose it.

Can't afford to buy your own plastic so you go diving for other peoples lost discs? Scumbag.

In before the Landfill...

I have fairly strong opinions about the responsibility to call after disc-diving, but since I don't really expect to change anyone's opinion, I'll keep them to myself.

Took some folks out today and one found a disc in some nasty water looking for another. Had name and number on it and I was proud the young man called to tell the guy he had the disc. The guy told him he didn't know how it got there and told him to keep it.

i lost a disc last year in a course in arcata, ca (northern california), i live in southern california. a week after i lost it i got a call, i told the guy to keep it.

just yesterday (a full year later, mind you), some guy from washington texted me saying he has my disc, i told him the story and was amazed that my name wasnt scratched out and the second person to find my disc actually made the effort. i told him to keep it.

but, in reality, writing my name on discs seems rather redundant. because if i lose a disc, im not just gonna not search for it, im gonna search, and after a while of searching i will give up and move on. its just a plastic disc, after all. ive made the effort, ive called off the search, and have cut my losses. the person who finds the disc, can have it.

The thing about this debate that always bothers me is the assumption people make that discs that are lost are "abandoned". There is absolutely no way of knowing how or why the disc you find came to be where it was. You don't know if the player who threw it searched for 10 seconds, 10 minutes or 10 hours for that disc, or whether or not the player is even aware they left it behind.

There are just too many scenarios in which a player can be forced to abandon a search unwillingly to assume that they left the disc behind because that was their intent. Tournament play forces players to walk away after 3 minutes. Darkness if the player is playing late in the day can end a search early. You don't know that the disc's owner isn't coming back to continue the search...a search that will be entirely fruitless because you've already picked up the disc and guaranteed they'll never find it.

Assuming the disc is abandoned just because you happened to find it is nothing more than an arrogant attempt to rationalize laziness (too lazy to make some sort of effort to return it) and theft (taking the disc for your own use).

The thing about this debate that always bothers me is the assumption people make that discs that are lost are "abandoned". There is absolutely no way of knowing how or why the disc you find came to be where it was. You don't know if the player who threw it searched for 10 seconds, 10 minutes or 10 hours for that disc, or whether or not the player is even aware they left it behind.

There are just too many scenarios in which a player can be forced to abandon a search unwillingly to assume that they left the disc behind because that was their intent. Tournament play forces players to walk away after 3 minutes. Darkness if the player is playing late in the day can end a search early. You don't know that the disc's owner isn't coming back to continue the search...a search that will be entirely fruitless because you've already picked up the disc and guaranteed they'll never find it.

Assuming the disc is abandoned just because you happened to find it is nothing more than an arrogant attempt to rationalize laziness (too lazy to make some sort of effort to return it) and theft (taking the disc for your own use).

additionally, regardless of where you found it, the original owner may not be the person who put it there. for the majority of discs that i have returned, i have not been the first finder. many of those that are "abandoned" may have been abandoned by a person who pretty much snaked it from someone else. you may be able to return it to someone who hasnt seen it for a long time

There's got to be a simple way to handle this matter. On one hand, you are the one providing a service for people and should be compensated for your time and effort. On the other hand, people who lost a disc should have a chance to get it back. Perhaps a solution would be to announce in advance that you're having a 'dive day' and will charge X dollars as a finders fee to return discs. If people know in advance they have a chance to get their disc back, they tend to be more receptive to the idea of paying the couple bucks. If they don't want it back, keep the disc, sell it or donate it to a local club/kids organization to help invite newbies, as well as provide some good PR for the game.

For those who play the 'it's my disc card' card, there's a flaw in that logic. If your disc is in the bottom of a lake, you're saying you'd rather it stay there than allow someone else to have it? If you're not willing to compensate someone for their time and effort of finding your piece of plastic, why shouldn't he just throw it back in the water, back where he found it?

OP, as long as you're trying to help fellow DGers out, you're providing a useful service to others. It's the ones who are essentially pro divers and online hawkers who are dregs of society.

Last edited:
The only mistake you made was coming here to ask. Just shut up about it. If there are discs from people you know, return them. No name or no contact info, they are abandoned and yours.

If I throw one in the water or deep shnarb and walk away I have zero expectation of getting it back.

People who think they are entitled to get a disc back that they threw in the water and didn't go after are delusional. If its your property then maybe you should try and recover it yourself.

Whoever called the OP a scumbag is an idiot.

The only mistake you made was coming here to ask. Just shut up about it. If there are discs from people you know, return them. No name or no contact info, they are abandoned and yours.

If I throw one in the water or deep shnarb and walk away I have zero expectation of getting it back.

People who think they are entitled to get a disc back that they threw in the water and didn't go after are delusional. If its your property then maybe you should try and recover it yourself.

Whoever called the OP a scumbag is an idiot.

Agree on all accounts.

I have a no disc left behind mentality, so if I really LOSE a disc, I too have no expectation of getting it back.

Would it be nice to receive a call about my lost disc? Absolutely. But why should someone put in more effort than I did to find my own disc, just to turn around and go on a witch hunt to try and track me down and return my circular plastic toy?
That mentality reeks of entitlement.

Call the numbers. Chances are, 75% of the people won't answer or reply back anyway (at least in my experience). The ones that do...well, you'll make their day by returning it, and hopefully it'll make yours, as well.

Karma is real, and will come back and bite your arse. Do the right thing.

This x1000 :clap:
MarkDSM & Darth Anovin could learn a thing or two from JC

Latest posts