• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flak 4, X or Ranger

Which bag for my needs?

• Flak 4

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Flak X

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • Ranger

Votes: 23 37.7%

• Total voters
How do the flak bags feel when fully loaded down? I like to carry two 40oz hydro flasks and they can get heavy with 20 discs. Also, does the back breathe easily? I tend to seat a ton anyway, and my current bag only makes it worse on my back.

The 4 feels bulky. It's not uncomfortable per se, but defiantly cumbersome. Honestly at first I hated it, but as I've used it a fair bit it's grown on me some. It's almost like all the padding does more to bulk the bag up then actually make it more comfortable, if that makes any sense.

The 4 feels bulky. It's not uncomfortable per se, but defiantly cumbersome. Honestly at first I hated it, but as I've used it a fair bit it's grown on me some. It's almost like all the padding does more to bulk the bag up then actually make it more comfortable, if that makes any sense.

ive put on bags with less padding and structure which SUCK comparably. Its bulky but needed for such a big bag. If that padding wasn't there you would really notice IMO.

I'll pitch here. I own a 3 and a 4. Have seen and handled both the X and the Ranger.
The Ranger was the least impressive of the four. Just didn't do anything for me. Nothing against it.
The changes they made between the 3 and the 4 weren't things that bugged me. So the better for me.
The 4 might seem bulky compared to the 3. Doesn't to me. I think the 4 wears better.
My normal bag is 19 discs, 2 20 oz water bottles, towels (3 min), protein bars and the normal junk. Plenty of room.
Not tried to stuff a hoody in my 4. But routinely carry a rain jacket and long sleeve t-shirt.
If I were going to change. IFFFF. Not likely at this point. I would look serious at the X or the Ergo 2.

ive put on bags with less padding and structure which SUCK comparably. Its bulky but needed for such a big bag. If that padding wasn't there you would really notice IMO.

Eh, I don't really agree. The Grip bags have significantly less padding (especially in the straps) and are actually more comfortable because they fit and distribute the weight a lot more efficiently. Sure, this particular bag would be uncomfortable with less padding. But a more ergonomic bag wouldn't need that much padding in the first place.

I'm not ragging on the 4. Im happy with mine and use it a lot, it's just not a perfect bag. You have to pay a fair bit more to get a nearly perfect bag, I think the flak series is as good as it gets for this price range

I just picked up a new DD Ranger bag and I love it. It has dedicated pockets for phone, wallet, keys, etc. and plenty of storage for clothes, extra discs or a few cold ones. I carry between 15-20 discs max so the Ranger is plenty big. Great price too. I guess it all comes down to how many discs you want to carry and what storage needs you have. From what I've seen and read, you can't go wrong with any of those choices.

All depends on the build of the person. I've had an L Series and I'm using the 4. Not that a Grip doesn't feel good but I prefer the extra padding on the four.

Well, pulled the trigger and ordered the X yesterday. I mean it only made sense since I had a 3 and am currently carrying the 4...might as well give the X a try too!
It is shipping today and once it arrives I will give further review of the X itself and how it compares to the 4.

I'm not wild about any of the bags, but looking at the features I'd say the the flak 4 bag. There looks like more storage potential and most importantly there are disc dividers in the main compartment. The Velcro dividers make all the difference in the world when not carrying a full load.

ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE FLAK X!!! Seems like everytime I get a new Hyzerbomb Bag, they find a way to make me love it more than the previous one!
IMO, its as if they took a little bit from a few different bags to make one awesome bag.
- The top pocket is much like Grips quiver. It will hold 2 putters and has snaps to choose whether they go completely into bag, or sit 3/4 in for easier grabbing.
- The second pocket on the main flap is also much like Grips storage pocket for personal belongings. Deep enough to hold a good bit of stuff yet shallow enough to not have to dig around and find what you want. And has an inner clip for keys or bag tags.
- Has a second mini pocket on top of bag which is convenient for those that don't carry mini on person.
- The main compartment is completely open, similar to a Golf Mahal. There is no "mouth" type opening, so each disc is just as easy to get in and out as any other disc, regardless of where it sits in main pocket. No more jamming and squeezing to get that disc in our out that is on the far sides of the bag.
- The straps and yoke are, IMO, improved from the Flak4. The yoke looks very similar to both Grips and Lat 64s design on the luxury bag. And the straps seem like they have less padding, but more support. Leading me to believe overall it is more ergonomical. The less padding I noticed, as on my flak4 there was so much padding there that the straps would be saturated with sweat from wearing the bag. So much that I would notice everytime I picked up the bag cause my hand would get damp. 2 rounds in 95* weather yesterday and the straps never felt moist.
- The side slip pockets are the same as flak4 but bigger. Could literally put like 3-4 putters in each one. I just carry two, which sit down in there nice and even with each other, where on the flak4 2 putters was about the absolute max.
- The side zippered pockets aren't like any other bag I know of. They are plenty roomy without being overly big. Currently in one I have 3-4 towels and a birdie bag, and in the other I keep a couple of cliff bars, other snacks, and my wallet. How much you put in these pockets doesn't seem to effect any other pockets, or cause any bulging issues. You could put 3-5 discs in these pockets if you wanted.
- Between the front mini pocket and the main compartment is another thin slip pocket. You could put a disc in there but it would slightly get in the way of easy grabbing of main compartment discs. I find this pocket to be perfect for a scorecard. Keeps it separate from any other items so you don't accidentally lose it, and keeps it from getting bent or damaged.

All and all I love this bag and it is for sure my new favorite bag. If anyone has any more specific questions about the bag, feel free to ask.

I won a ranger bag so I got to do some comparing. Go with the Flak 4. It has higher quality materials around the bag. The zippers on the ranger got stuck occasionally, not the same case with the flak. The padding on the flak was thicker, but I do like the design on the ranger. The ranger's putter pocket can fit about the same as the flak. The ranger had 1 big storage pocket and 1 extra small one. The flak has 1 slightly smaller large compartment but makes up for it in the putter pockets which come in handy for towels, along with 2 more compartments. The flak has 2 bottle holders while the ranger has 1, if your not including the stool holder, which is about 1/2 the size of the other one.

The X has less padding in the straps/back than the 4.

Siri even stated that in his review video. The production run was suppose to have the same as the 4 but it didn't.

Hard to see the X as improved because of less padding.

Last edited:
All and all I love this bag and it is for sure my new favorite bag. If anyone has any more specific questions about the bag, feel free to ask.

Have you tried putting a hoodie under the flap? If so, does it cause the flap to bulge or does it hang the same as if the hoodie wasn't there? I know it is summer time, but this is the one aspect about this bag no one seems to talk about.

The X has less padding in the straps/back than the 4.

Siri even stated that in his review video. The production run was suppose to have the same as the 4 but it didn't.

Hard to see the X as improved because of less padding.

I see it as improved for the reason stated. The thick strap padding on the 4 got saturated with sweat. And I felt the extra padding was to make up for the not so ergonomical design as far as distributing weight. I feel like the yoke and strap combo on the X are better. Maybe the yoke makes the bag carry better and not needing the extra padding. I played with the X Fri, 2 rounds Sat, 2 rounds Sun, and dubs last night....all in 95* heat, and the straps did not get soaked, nor did I feel any added discomfort from less padding in the straps.

Have you tried putting a hoodie under the flap? If so, does it cause the flap to bulge or does it hang the same as if the hoodie wasn't there? I know it is summer time, but this is the one aspect about this bag no one seems to talk about.

Havent tried yet. With the X, you have two options of where to snap the hanging flap in place. You can snap it straight down flat against the bag of the bag. I personally didn't like this option as it made the top putter pocket and the middle belongings pocket much tighter and confined. The other option snaps it in place slightly higher than the straight down version. This causes the top area to push out a bit, making the pockets much more roomy and accessible.
I feel like since I use this option, I will see much less change when I put a hoody back there. Where if you go the straight down method normally, you will def notice a big difference once you put a jacket behind it.

anyway, I will test this out this evening and let you know.

My straps don't get soaked but the back can get a lil wet. Which I don't care about. It's suppose to in the Summer time.

How are the bottoms of the Flaks holding up? I think I would prefer the rails on other bags, but not really a sticking point. Still think the Flak X appears to be the best designed bag and will almost certainly have one waiting for me under the Christmas tree. I know that is a long time to wait, but the Mrs. might find a shallow grave to leave me in if I dropped $200 on a bag that I don't really need right now.

The material on the bottom + the 4 feet are really water resistant. I don't believe the material on the grip changes in the bottom, just is up off the ground. I don't see any issues.