• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flak 4, X or Ranger

Which bag for my needs?

• Flak 4

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Flak X

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • Ranger

Votes: 23 37.7%

• Total voters

chalos13

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I need a bag that's going to hold extra stuff for my tournament weekends: more towels, shirt, jacket when cold, etc. I like the Flak X, but it doesn't look like it has as much storage as the other two. I need some feedback, if I'm going out of town to play a tourney for two days, which of these will carry the most stuff (besides discs, they all carry enough discs for me).

Take a look at the Luxury E2, tonsss of space in the top compartment as well as a pretty cool design. Other than that, if you're looking for storage space within one of the bags you mentioned above, I would suggest the DD Ranger.

My flak 3 has a huge top pocket and extremely well made. Cannot speak about the new flak bags but the ranger is not comparable quality wise at all. Neither is going to be a bad choice its just about what you want out of the bag.

I think the flak x actually has more storage then the 4. I voted ranger because it's decent bag at a good price. I have a flak 4 and am not super impressed by it. It's not a bad bag it's just not great. I haven't actually seen an X in person

I have an x. About same storage as my grip. Holds more discs though. No chair or umbrella holder though but you can put the umbrella in the bag if you zip one side of the main compartment all the way up and our a stool leg in the side pockets to make it work

absolutely love the flak series. I got my flak3 for this exact reason. I am always de-layering in cold month golf, and I needed to fit my hoody, beanie, gloves, etc, etc... Here is the review I posted with some pics of what I had in top storage: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103186&highlight=flak3+review

I just recently upgraded to the flak4 and it is SO MUCH BETTER than the flak3. Its just all around better built, with more dexterity, more padding on back and straps, and no sag from the top compartment. I cant recommend this bag enough, especially if youre interested in storage space! I will forever own a flak series as long as they keep making it!

The Ranger and Flak4 are probably very similar in their overall storage volume. I'm regularly carrying a couple extra towels, minis, snacks, golden retriever, etc. in the top pocket of my Flak4. When it warms up there is still room to shove a fleece or hoodie in there. But there aren't any other sizeable storage pockets. Wallet/Phone go in one side pocket, Birdie bag in the other.

24 discs is a nice fit for me. I also carry 6 putters so you could theoretically squeeze a few more discs in there, if you wanted. Or you could carry something like 16-18 and have extra space in the main compartment for a jacket/towels.

The Flak-X probably has more overall storage, but the main storage area underneath the flap is a little less conventional.

^^ yeah, ive seen people that don't carry many discs, use the two dividers so that the middle of the main is empty and the discs on the far left and right side.

Anyone able to compare the two flaks side by side? By that I mean, have seen both in person and are not just seeing one and making assumptions about the other. Which has more disc space, more storage, etc, or are they basically the same, with things just in slightly different locations?

Last edited:
I've seen both, but it's kinda hard to answer. Go to YouTube and search flak x, there's a video I think with the disc golf guy and Matt Siri where they break down both bags side by side

The whole reason the Flak 3/4 have all the storage is the large top compartment. Being the Flak X doesn't have that, I would say the storage is greatly less in the flak x. Havent seen one in person, but being a flak 3 and 4 owner, and seeing the videos on the flak x, I still knew my storage needs wouldn't be met with the X.

If you get a flak x DO NOT leave two discs in the side pockets when not playing!!!! One will be a taco shell.

Anybody know if Millenium is still having a stocking issue with the flak 4? I ordered one from Clearwater disc golf on the second of this month, they did not have the green and gray one in stock so they drop shipped me one, and I still have not received it. I have bought stuff on ebay from China, that has been shipped to me quicker than this.

My vote is for Flak 4. I have had a Soldier, Ranger, and now a Flak 4 and it by far is the best.

-Has just about the same amount of open storage as the ranger
-better pockets for mini, scorecard, etc.
-holds 2 large water bottles instead of 1
-holds more discs (both in the main pouch and not including the extra places)
-better location of the putter pocket (IMO)
-more pockets to storage things
-includes a rain fly with a dedicated pocket
-more comfortable on the back then the ranger

I worked directly with the Vahsholtz and they were super accommodating and help me with expediting the shippment of a bag without having to pay extra fees.

Can't go wrong with either Flak. I've waited for the X since the first pictured had leaked but managed to hop on the 4. It was a deal at the time.

Keep in mind with the X, you have the straps under the flap for a hoodie. Plus the two big side pockets. Overall, the X holds more discs and has more storage, but the 4 is a solid option as well. Of course DGC has free shipping on them and doesn't charge the extra $20 on digi camo.

How do the flak bags feel when fully loaded down? I like to carry two 40oz hydro flasks and they can get heavy with 20 discs. Also, does the back breathe easily? I tend to seat a ton anyway, and my current bag only makes it worse on my back.

Not sure with the X because the straps and back padding aren't the same.

The 4 feels awesome though. Even with 26 discs, a stool, plus water.