• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Flat top discs-designed to be Flat.

This is so true. The "speed band" concept is a new one to me, but I can fully relate to it.

Ofc there are exceptions to this, but usually in those cases the flatness comes with a freakishly high PLH. Much more often though the flatness does exactly what you said.

It's new to me too cause I just thought of it. I didn't know if it would make sense to other people or not. Basically I find a domier understable is more forgiving and more controllable then a flat one.

In my mind the flattest disc anyone could ever hold in their hands is the Z Flick, discraft's massively overstable distance OH and skip monster. If others do not suggest it....it is because they have never held it.

Flick is not massively overstable. It's speed stable. It will turn over in 35-40 mph wind because even a noodle arm can get it up to speed in those conditions. But absent the wind, yeah, you'll need a big arm to turn it over.

Lat. 64 gold hex misselen. 15-3-0-4. So thin and flat you can't even see it after you throw. My buddy got it as a joke and it's definately filling that role nicely. Monster skips though!

You don't want flat higher speed (over speed 7) understable discs anyways. I find them to be less predictable and more prone to turning and burning or not turning at all. They don't have a consistent flight in that the speed "band" at which they turn is narrower and also overturn or fade out. The dome somehow creates some function to stabilize the flight and make it more forgiving and a wider band. You also lose glide on the flat higher speed discs which could be part of the problem with the unforgiving and more erratic flight.

This is completely made up BS.

This is completely made up BS.

You throw them finicky and squirrely flat MVP discs like the Orbital and don't understand? Of course not.

Glide equals lift so when you have a low glide understable disc it is more apt to turn and burn. Instead of staying in the air and continuing to turn and eventually straighten or fade out it's in the dirt.

While I agree that most very understable high speed discs are finicky and a bit unreliable (i.e. the Vulcan), I can think of counter examples. Terns, for example, are nearly always flat in my experience, and even the Star Tern I have can handle a pretty good range of power.

While I agree that most very understable high speed discs are finicky and a bit unreliable (i.e. the Vulcan), I can think of counter examples. Terns, for example, are nearly always flat in my experience, and even the Star Tern I have can handle a pretty good range of power.

You can also see it in midranges I think too. Like the Fuses I have. I have a flat one that is more picky and touchy finding the right angles. The domeir ones just holds a gentle turn easily. I compared PLH and they look identical, one has dome and one is board flat. It's like the dome stabilizes the disc somewhat and makes the disc more forgiving and less erratic.

Birdiemachine speaks the truth. Flat/understable combo equals fast, and once flipped the turn can be violent. And yeah, a domey mid is a slower flying mid.

I hate flat distance drivers.

I'm not a fan either. I like the Flick for precision overstable accuracy, but for pure distance I want a driver with dome to it. Flat discs don't glide as well as their domey counterparts.

I've thrown both flat and domey Katanas and Vulcans. The domey ones are universally better. Better glide, better overall distance.

Another good example is the Spectra. Flat, no dome. Lousy flier. It's understable, so if you put any arm on it, it flips over. No glide to maximize distance either.

Last edited:
Flat discs have a propensity to hold their given angles, whereas a domey has more wiggle. Flat discs are inherently more predictable, whereas domey discs will have more glide. I almost exclusively throw flat discs. Accuracy > distance. But that is just me.

Flat discs have a propensity to hold their given angles, whereas a domey has more wiggle. Flat discs are inherently more predictable, whereas domey discs will have more glide. I almost exclusively throw flat discs. Accuracy > distance. But that is just me.

Not sure I agree with being more predictable, I got some domey beefy stable discs like a poppy top XCal that aint doing anything but going straight and fading, even in a 30 mph headwind. Then I got a beat Star FB that is flat and a bit flippy but at the same time has a bite at the end still. Not super predictable because of the little flip.

I would say that flatter discs have lower glide which gives them a more predictable flight distance wise as long as it's stable enough. I do prefer to have my accuracy stable to OS discs to be on the flatter side. From a Stiletto, to a TB, FB, or a Suspect. Understable is a different story as flat under stable disc molds generally don't like being flat topped and are squirrely and unreliable from my experience. Too much dome can be bad too, has to be the right amount to get the right balance.

I prefer my putters and mids to be flat. Serpents, Scales, Truths, Buzz SS and OS.
My buddy had a shaman, super low profile and FAF.

Fairway and drivers I like a mild dome

You throw them finicky and squirrely flat MVP discs like the Orbital and don't understand? Of course not.

Glide equals lift so when you have a low glide understable disc it is more apt to turn and burn. Instead of staying in the air and continuing to turn and eventually straighten or fade out it's in the dirt.

Where do you get these crazy ideas from and pretend like you understand disc flight? All i do is speak from experience and nothing you're saying here is true at all. Ive thrown so many different molds and even found the opposite of what you're saying given the mold.

Where do you get these crazy ideas from and pretend like you understand disc flight? All i do is speak from experience and nothing you're saying here is true at all. Ive thrown so many different molds and even found the opposite of what you're saying given the mold.

Well of course you peddle that gyro.

Not sure I agree with being more predictable, I got some domey beefy stable discs like a poppy top XCal that aint doing anything but going straight and fading, even in a 30 mph headwind. Then I got a beat Star FB that is flat and a bit flippy but at the same time has a bite at the end still. Not super predictable because of the little flip.

I would say that flatter discs have lower glide which gives them a more predictable flight distance wise as long as it's stable enough. I do prefer to have my accuracy stable to OS discs to be on the flatter side. From a Stiletto, to a TB, FB, or a Suspect. Understable is a different story as flat under stable disc molds generally don't like being flat topped and are squirrely and unreliable from my experience. Too much dome can be bad too, has to be the right amount to get the right balance.

Remember that "wiggle" I talked about from domed discs? It comes from a domey disc's propensity to not hold its given angle. Pair that propensity to not hold the initial angle with a naturally overstable mold's flight pattern, it will actually dump sooner than a flat version of the mold, whereas the flat one will tend to hold the angle until it loses speed/spin, that is when it dumps. Just what I have observed.

Also, your earlier comments regarding understable flat high speed discs not wanting to turn consistently only reinforces my notions. I totally agree with you on that BTW, I have been messing around with a FAF CryZtal Nuke SS. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Last edited:
Remember that "wiggle" I talked about from domed discs? It comes from a domey disc's propensity to not hold its given angle. Pair that propensity to not hold the initial angle with a naturally overstable mold's flight pattern, it will actually dump sooner than a flat version of the mold, whereas the flat one will tend to hold the angle until it loses speed/spin, that is when it dumps. Just what I have observed.

I don't disagree with you but it depends on the mold. Understable discs can be often too flippy if they are flat topped. Some mids are just not good board flat either IMO, like DX Rocs. Good Rocs need to have some dome then get beat in for that good Roc hyzerflip flight. I generally like flatter OS discs, but domier high speed and understable.

Latest posts