• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

flexibility testing of discs (results and pics)

11x KC Aviar would be interesting to see. Some of those are brick hard and old. I bet they would bust right in half. But then you would be out $30.

thats another thing about what I was saying, say u had a 9x,10x,11x whatever KC Roc? We all know that plastic becomes more brittle over time so again, a disc may pass approval when it was made but years down the road, no chance.

z nuke 23lbs
picture.php

Nukes tested like this...
pro d 23lbs
x 19lbs
esp 24lbs
z 23lbs

I hear ya

My problem with all of this is the whiners at tourneys that are going to try to use this to get ahead. The problem seems to be that the PDGA isnt requiring this of every disc that comes thru to them so there are discs that arent mentioned. Then you are going to have a guy at a tourney who thinks someone elses disc is too stiff and whines to the TD and the TD not doing what is right, which is saying he isnt equiped to do such a test on behalf of the PDGA, BUT instead trys to do it and ruins someones favorite disc. It should be as simple as the PDGA approved discs list, if its on there you can use it, if it isnt you cant no matter how that disc actually came out of the factory. We all know that discs come from the manufacturers with variances but that isnt our place to police. If the PDGA wants to step in on that, let them but the only way I can foresee a result of that would be to have mandated quality standards....AND that I dont see happening. Fact of the matter is the PDGA, bless them for what they do have all sorts of rules/issues that they gotta work out, but I guess thats part of being such a "young" mainstream sport vs the casual unregulated one that it all started as.

sorry for my rant, but ive seen so much about this topic lately and i find it rediculous that it all requires so much thought.

My thought is THIS what the PDGA and disc golfers should be spending their time on? I thought this was a FUN sport. Just go throw.

Just took two two very flat firm champ firebirds (one new & one used) - Both 175g (Sorry didn't take time for pics)
New one registered 26.0 on my digital scale
Used one registered 20.1 on same scale (broken in so will flex easier)
The previously new one(until I bent it in half a minute ago) registered 21.5 the second try

Need to pull a pair of glow champs and do the same test - Those things are crazy stiff.

Last edited:
So far what I have learned from this thread/experiment is ....

1. That 27lbs of force is a lot when talking about bending discs.

2. Discs will flatten back out to their original shape pretty easily. With that being said I wouldn't want to test any disc that is valuable and may become damaged just to prove or disprove a point.

3. People will offer opinions and debate testing methods without actually understanding how it works or trying it themselves.

I am trying to keep this a results based thread and leave opinions out of it. I do support free thought, imagination and opinions though.

In the end I believe that even the softest discs can be extremely dangerous and safety on the throwers part is the easiest way to prevent injury. Don't throw if someone is in front of you or in the area a disc may fly should there be thrower error. lol

All these discs look used. I have discs in my bag that are new and very stiff but i have their beat in counter part that is very gummy. I only skimmed the thread so this might have already been mentioned.

You know what would solve all of this? If there wasn't a flexibility rule. I think it would be MUCH simpler if the people of this forum focused on trying to get the flexibility rule reversed as opposed to bitching for weeks on which discs are illegal and which aren't.

P.S. Not saying that these tests and whatnot are bitching, they're interesting. But this will escalate and eventually lead to people having half of their bag declared illegal at tournaments.

Yes the discs tested so far have all been used.

I just now tested some brand new z nukes... they measured 20 and 22 lbs. This is in the same range as the used discs.

Also all nukes tested (new and used) were between 170 and 175g in weight.

You know what would solve all of this? If there wasn't a flexibility rule. I think it would be MUCH simpler if the people of this forum focused on trying to get the flexibility rule reversed as opposed to bitching for weeks on which discs are illegal and which aren't.

P.S. Not saying that these tests and whatnot are bitching, they're interesting. But this will escalate and eventually lead to people having half of their bag declared illegal at tournaments.

I agree with what your saying about the rule may need to be discussed further (not in this thread though, that can be it's own thread)

As a certified official if this was brought up to me I would allow the player to
throw whatever disc they have as long as it is on the pdga approved list.
I believe this to be a pdga rule issue and not something a td should have to deal with. If it became a big issue I would just remove the pdga sanctioning of the event and we would have an unsanctioned tourney.

I don't think dg is as complicated as people try to make it. I throw discs to have fun and we always have fun!

I am going to the course! Be back later!