• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flywood

I would think throwing a disc against a tree, and skating on the concrete is going to have very different results. It would depend on the tree, as there are different kinds of trees. Depending on the wood that's used for the disc, and the wood of the tree that the disc collides into will ultimately make the damage different.

And I mean... If you hit concrete with a disc, like 80% of the time, you had a horrible shot.

I don't see how most people think they aren't going to be durable. The crossed grains, pressed and layered laminate is not going to make for a weak disc. With multi-piece guitar necks, each piece has it's grain going in the opposite direction of the other piece to add strength.

Looks weird.... Just weird.... I don't know how to explain it other than that. Almost seems lik a ridiculous hoax haha.

Weird

These disc look really nice. They would make great trophy discs for a tournament. Not sure I could bring myself to throw one with as nice as they look.

Cheers - Koffee

The way I figure it, As long as it doesnt split in two or warp, you can always sand it down or file any major dents. Even take a router and experiment with your own shapes.

Your definitely going to turn some heads with the sound it makes.

For what it's worth to the folks here, I took the Flywoods to the course today and threw them on all 18. It was a really cold, windy, wet, nasty day with snow still on the ground but turning to slop. I should have stayed inside, but I had to give these discs some play.

I took the time to throw them right along side the the discs that they most resembled to me personally: The Walking Stick vs. Archon and the Log vs. VooDoo. (The Harvest was for purchased for a friend, so I chose not to throw it today.)

So, how did they do? That seems to be the million dollar question.

The grip on them is really nice and comfortable and easy to get used to. All the Flywoods have a grip similar to something like the Gateway Element SureGrip (still flat at the edge of the lip, but the have a rounded tapering where the lip meets the flight plate). They were great for forehand shots that came out of my hand fast and level without the usual small amount of oat. It was kinda weird to get used to the complete lack of flex at first... but that turned into a good thing after a few throws... especially on the long putts.

The Walking Stick driver flew very similar to my Archon - very stable and straight off the box with a slight mid flight right hand turn followed by a long straight middle, but definitely had more low speed glide near the end which led to a slower and longer fade. It was really windy (like I already said) and I witnessed what seemed to be a greater tendency for the Flywood driver to get a bit more lift and float in the wind near the end of flight; sometimes that was good, sometimes that was bad. A real shiny point for this disc was the roller - since there was no bounce when it hit the ground, it went straighter and faster than normal.

The Log and the VooDoo flew pretty much identically when I got consistent releases and consistent wind. It was, again, a damn gusty day so slow speed throws were a bit of a crap-shoot... but there were still enough baskets in protected positions that I could get a decent comparison. The biggest difference between the two was grip and the sound of contact. It was actually a blessing to me to have the lower profile lip and rounded angle at the flight plate: I felt like my release was a little more stable, especially on forehand putts (which I struggle with). The sound it makes when the Log hits the basket is kinda neat to me - kinda reminded me of two boken (wooden practice katana swords) striking one another. I usually have been throwing soft putters, so this didn't seem to stick to the chains as well at first... so I pulled out the disc of beeswax that came with the discs and rubbed down the edge real good. Yup, that did the trick.

OK, obviously the big debate has been about durability. Are these going to get nicked and splintered up from impact with trees and the ground? Are they going to split and warp in the wet weather? Are they going to crack? Admittedly, this was just day one of testing... but so far, so good.

I both intentionally and accidentally chucked the driver into several trees at full speed today. I also threw that roller. Nothing more than a little bit of roughness in one spot. Seriously, the edge of the disc seems brand new except in that one place where you can only feel (not see) a slight roughness to it where the finish is spotted. No scratches or marks on the flight plate yet either.

The putter actually took on a few minor dents in the very edge from long putts that missed the chains and bonked off the rim of the bucket and one that came in fast and low right into the post. It's nothing I haven't seen on a DX putter before, but didn't get any burrs or gouges... just dents.

Since it was such a wet and yucky day, I also got to test how they would react to being wet for a whole game. That was surprising as well. The tung/hemp oil finish did it's job better than I expected and the water just beaded up and wiped right off. There's not one sign of any water staining, splitting or anything else - it's like they were never wet.

So, while I'm sure that I haven't changed any minds... and they didn't provide a disc golf epiphany... my initial run made me very happy. I'll get more later, hopefully after I've had some local pro's throw them.

Good write up on the wood discs. Do they hurt your fingers if you snap them out hard?

No, they were actually pretty easy to release consistently and the edge of the lip is a little more beveled than most plastic. The nice smooth finish on them helped with both grip and ease of release. Best description for the feel of the wood is to compare the finish to that of the skinny end of an expensive pool cue.

I'll add this to my above comments as I had a chance to throw a little in an open field today over my lunch break. It was still very windy today, but much warmer and dryer.
All assuming a RHBH: The Walking Stick driver was more overstable than the Archon when throwing with the wind at my back and resulted in less distance by about 50'. When throwing into the wind, the Archon was turning right early and pretty understable - the Walking Stick held its line longer... still had a little bit of right turn but straightened out and faded slow, giving it a slight edge on the distance over the Archon (about 18').

I'm certain these could get more distance and be less overstable if the edge were sharper. The craftsman/owner for Flywood seems to be intentionally giving them a rounder leading edge in an attempt to increase impact durability. From the experience I've had so far, I think it could easily be sharper without much compromise for durability.

I'm not a big distance thrower, so I tend to get far more distance out of understable and stable discs, where it seems to me that the big-guns tend to get more distance out of overstable discs. I still look forward to getting the Walking Stick into the hands of a local pro for a better idea of its capabilities.

All said, the discs I ordered this time were the stock Flywood models. He will do custom orders... so I'm probably going to see what he can do in the way of a TeeBird on my next order as that's my favorite disc.

Last edited:
P.S. Jack Daniels pointed out something I never considered... which is pretty obvious. They float! That's a great bonus considering I haven't found a floating plastic which I like yet.

Are you sure they float? Even though they are made primarily out of wood, if the weight is similar to a golf disc, then the flight plate must be thicker than a plastic golf disc, in order to give it a specific gravity less than one.

Decided to put it to the test to be certain DGRZ001 and... yup, they float:)

Here is a profile of the Walking Stick I did by taking a photo and tracing it with vectors in photoshop.

I'd love to get some serious insight from some disc aerodynamics experts on what characteristics the disc "should" have from looking at this.

WalkingStickProfile01.jpg

The Log is almost an exact match for the profile of a VooDoo, but has the rounded inside lip just like the above drawing.

They look great, but I can hardly believe they can be that consistent. Wood, even within a given tree variety, varies too greatly from one sample to another.

If you think Innova runs a bit inconsistent... :\

Trophys are a good idea. Maybe one could get a custom wood burned image. Kinda like a CFR disc.
^this! Perhaps as a commemorative trophy disc for tourney winners. :thmbup:

Last edited:
Splinter central. I would throw one for fun just so I could get even more weird looks for throwing a disc through the woods :thmbup:

Decided to put it to the test to be certain DGRZ001 and... yup, they float:)

Here is a profile of the Walking Stick I did by taking a photo and tracing it with vectors in photoshop.

I'd love to get some serious insight from some disc aerodynamics experts on what characteristics the disc "should" have from looking at this.

WalkingStickProfile01.jpg

The Log is almost an exact match for the profile of a VooDoo, but has the rounded inside lip just like the above drawing.

Really appreciate you putting out your comments and clarifying the different concerns and curiosities on the thread.:hfive: Some things people will always have different opinions on and time will tell with the durability and consistency, etc. Please keep more info on the reviews coming. I would like to hear more about how the mid and driver fly and if you end up getting a teebird custom from him.

This kind of disc to me kind of seems to fit in with the whole eco-friendly, return to nature and simple living movement, like cooking from scratch, etc. I just came up with an all natural bamboo tone pole (kind of similar to prerube's) with only one screw in it to hold the top on that was the only non-biodegradable element. It would be cool to play that kind of basket with a wood disc.

Here's the course I just created last month while on vacation in Colombia with the tone poles:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5051

I think that these kinds of discs and poles can have a long life when maintained well for weather, and if you don't they will just return to the ground from whence they came!

I'm seriously considering getting some of these discs, but would like some more flight feedback from various people.:thmbup: