• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flywood

Betcha they fly better than Groove.

Somebody ask somebody if the PDGA is looking at these for approval.

Those are a pretty good deal relative to plastic discs.
Anyone quote this weirdo warranty yet?
"Refund, Returns and Cancellation Policies:

Due to the nature of our natural sporting products, refunds will only granted for product satisfaction excluding play. This is a natural product which can be damaged. Please approach this product in awareness of all natural characteristics including weaknesses. If you feel that this product has not met your standards for play, please contact us and we will resolve the issue. Thank you!"

I have special ordered two of these. One SuperFly Walking Stick (driver) and one SuperFly Harvest (midrange). I'm getting both made at 168g.

I have talked with the owner/inventor/craftsman Brad and am very confident about them so far. I will have them by January 15th to review for you all.

Here's what I can say on their durability without ever actually holding one: they are made of 7-ply (alternating), pressure-treated, hardrock Canadian maple - just like a professional skateboard deck. I have skated for decades and I know that those are super freaking tough. I have seen skate decks (which weigh 30x what a disc weighs) fall nose first on the concrete from 25' in the air and only have a tiny nick. I've also owned a couple of handcrafted wood boomerangs made of thinner, 5 ply maple that fly just as fast as a disc... and have had them come down, on their edge, on the pavement with nothing but a little scratch. To add to all that, I also do the Yo-Yo thing and I only use wood. Wood just spins and balances better than plastic, composites or metal. I expect to get the same results from these discs.

As for warping or weathering, I used to drag my skateboards out in the rain frequently, without any oil or wax treatment, and they never seemed to suffer from it very much.

Since Flywood will also make custom shape discs based on any other model, I imagine I will be placing another order soon to try to get a wooden Buzzz and TeeBird... if my above expectations are met. He also mentioned that he DOES offer custom etchings.

Yes, the website grammar is a bit whack... but he built and maintains the site himself. I guess that's not bad for a one man does it all operation. I may offer to help him correct some of that...

For the PDGA approval: No, these will not meet approval ONLY because of the guidlines that say, "...must be made of a plastic material..." and "...must be able to flex 50% of the diameter...". I can't see any reason that those two conditions exist other than safety... but it's not going to stop me from throwing them until some TD makes me stop.

I'll provide some pics and a review soon:)

Last edited:
I ordered 3 of Flywood's in-house models (the "Log" putter, the "Harvest" midrange and the "Walking Stick" driver) to give them a test run and they arrived today. They look phenomenal, feel fantastic in my hands and even smell great. Mine came pretreated with tung oil, hemp oil and beeswax to give them a good water-resistant, grippy, protective coating - they feel really nice. Another thing I instantly noticed when I picked them up is how well balanced they feel - the difference between them and how balanced my best plastic feels is astounding - the wood is just plain better.

Of course, it wouldn't be my life without some poetic irony; I'm getting them on the first day of the season where the weather is complete crap. So, I haven't been out to the course to throw them just yet, but if they fly as good as my first impressions have led me to believe, it will be sweet.

Here's some pictures. You'll see that I got the exact weights I ordered too.

MyFlywood01.jpg

From left to right: Harvest 167g, Log 175g, Walking Stick 169g

MyWalkingStickTop.jpg

MyWalkingStickBottom.jpg

Walking Stick top and bottom on scale.

I'll get you a review after the weather gives me a break so I can go pitch 'em. (further than into the practice basket in my basement.)

SSS = Super Solid Spruce, right? ;)
I got the Log, too. Its just Plain Jane but it feels good.
I need to buff that Boobee wax a bit more, though, before I throw it.
They do feel neat.

Good for trophies, clocks, and wall hangers. I imagine after a few rock hits those things would give you nasty splinters. Pretty discs and nice craftsmanship, but I would never put one in the bag. For those who bought some keep us posted on how they actually fly.

I can already guarantee there will be NO problems with splinters, cracking, warping or otherwise. I have been a skater for 25 years and, since these are made exactly the same way from exactly the same wood and process, they will be sturdy and take a massive beating. They may just even outlast most of the plastic out there. Just think about all the wood sports equipment you've ever used. Did those baseball bats get all screwed up from nailing 70mph hardballs?

For yearofrolling: treat it with some tung oil or hemp oil (or both) and then give it a rub down with the beeswax. Then buff it to a nice shine. That's how the owner of Flywood said he did mine before he mailed them.

For Dj1001: As for the putter dropping to the ground at the 44 second mark in the video, did you see the whole throw? The guy gave it no spin at all and had terrible OAT.

For elevated plastic: these have nothing at all in common with the wood trophy discs I've seen... nothing at all.

I'll give you some info on flight later, like I said.

Last edited:
I've been skating for 30+ years and have shredded decks and seen what can happen. So I'm still a little skeptical on these. Wouldn't mind getting one for a living room clock though.

I've been skating for 30+ years and have shredded decks and seen what can happen. So I'm still a little skeptical on these. Wouldn't mind getting one for a living room clock though.

Yeah, I've skated for more than half my life, and I know I've thrown a board into smooth concrete and chipped the nose to hell. Just doing flip tricks on flat ground will tear a board up in a couple months if you actually skate it.

If you hit me with one of those discs - expect to see me in court next time we meet!

Well, I guess I've just found out that I'm on the fringe again. I'm frequently at odds with the majority (movies, music, food and now disc golf equipment), so I should have known to just keep this to myself for now. What can I do... I've already started it rolling.

I've certainly seen my skate decks get chipped and nicked and so forth just like you guys have, but that was something that weighs 30x what a disc weighs, was under 160 pounds of person with a significant multitude of pounds of force... all against concrete. I'm not expecting to find much need for jumping up and down on these discs on the concrete or to find too many cement trees in the woods to throw them into. I think that maple against the bark on the trees on the course will do OK, but I'll try to be careful.

I've never hit anyone with a disc before because I refuse to throw a disc at all if there is anyone within any range that might possibly be in the way of the absolute worst possible throw I can muster. In my home town we recently had a guy get his skull busted by the rim of a star plastic driver, so plastic at that thickness is still as dangerous as the next material of the same weight and speed. I will indeed be very safety concious of these discs, just as I am with all my throws, and I am very aware of and appreciate your concern.

brettricewku, you are right and I obviously picked a poor example that just doesn't come in line with what I was hoping to convey. Dumb on my part.

I'll just give up on being publicly excited about these until I have some testing experience and allow them to be thrown by several other players. I may report back some time in the future when I can speak from more of a position of authority and experience.

Last edited: