• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flywood

S_P, thanks for the info. I actually have a hemp disc similar to those....got it too many years ago to count at a show at the Warfield in SF. I can remember where I got it, but not who was actually playing.... ;)

Question: What's up with the overstable/stable Harvests you show in your pic? I see they have different sized rims (area between edge and dye). Mine looks like the stable ones in your pic. Is this the difference between the 'fly' and 'superfly'? Mine was labeled 'fly'.

BTW, I'm just going to go ahead and use this thing. We have a course nearby that's all grass at a park with a fair amount of trees. I'm thinking this is the perfect place to test-drive this amazing piece of craftsmanship.

The Overstable Harvests are a prototype Flywood was testing as a possible new model. Yours is, indeed, the regular Harvest.

The Fly vs. Superfly relates to how many layers the disc has. There also used to be a "Classic" series. The whole Classic/Fly/Superfly series thing is kinda fading away at this point - it used to be something you could specifically order where you could say you wanted "Classic": 6 plies of regular hardrock maple, "Fly": 5 plies of maple plus 1 colored layer or "Superfly": 5 plies of maple with 2 colored layers. Over time, they learned that it was simple best to always put the colored ply on the top of the flight plate because the wood was lighter and softer - which was both better for gyroscopic rotation and helped prevent warping as the discs dried and/or became exposed to high humidity and heat.

So, the Walking Sticks all have plies because the disc needs to have a low profile, so they're all "Fly" series. The harvests still come in both, but are becoming more standardized and the Logs are almost all "Superfly"/7ply at this point to keep them taller. It's all evolving as Flywood customers provide feedback about what works best.

For me, that whole process has been kind of cool - as I have been throwing them for a long time now and personally have 4 Logs, 3 Harvests and 4 Sticks. Each of them is from a different point of evolution, so I get different characteristics from them. At this point, it seems they've got the Harvest and Walking Stick nailed down. The Log is still undergoing changes to find the perfect shape that can be reproduced consistently (a challenge since these are all hand made, one at a time). The only one's I've "retired" are my first Walking Stick and my custom prototype driver - they just turned out too overstable.

At some point, I need to take a picture of the 8 woodies I keep in my bag and use every game - just to show their current condition.

I seem to be unable to post an edit, so:

The first sentence in the third paragraph above should read, "So, the Walking Sticks all have 6 plies..."

Please post a few pics of the used ones when you get a chance. Still haven't thrown it yet, probably have some time this weekend.

Got a purple Walking Stick on the way. And I'm Going To THROW IT!
Can't wait.

OK, finally to those pics of the 8 woodies from my bag that I throw every game.

It'll certainly take several posts as I didn't want to lose too much detail by making them smaller and putting them into a collage.

First, the oldest and most used Flywood in my bag.
This is the Dog Log, the 172g (it's lost a little weight over time) putter that my dog decided to chew up a few weeks after I got it. I had calculated that I'd thrown it at around 3500 baskets - to which my wife asked me last week, "When you figured that out, I assume you were counting all the throws you make every day into your practice basket downstairs, right?" :doh: "No, I was just counting the courses." So, I have no damn clue how many thousands of times I've actually thrown it at a basket.
Anyhow, the little off color spots you see all over the top of it are the places where I put filler in the spot where my dog chewed it up. The worst of the bites were actually along the purple bottom rim, so I patched that up quite a bit and used a permanent marker on the filler down there to make it match the rest better... eh, it looks OK.

DogLog01_zpseb9f572f.jpg

DogLog02_zps148298d6.jpg

DogLog03_zpsf0a4455b.jpg

Next up, this is the Log I use for longer, understable approaches that I think I can sink.
I've had it since June of 2012. Thrown it about 700 times on the course.

Log01_zpsf057f469.jpg

Log02_zps3e189ebe.jpg

Log03_zps56817748.jpg

This one is my second oldest Flywood from my bag, a Classic Harvest. I've had it since Feb of 2012. It's an understable midrange that has a long slow fade - good for drawing my backhand s-shot. It's been thrown about 1200 times on the course.

I got a bug up my butt one day and decided to strip it, sand it and stain it to see what kind of color I could put on it. I used a regular wood stain for the rim and used some red Rit dye for the flight plate.

ClassicHarvest01_zps7c5bb3dc.jpg

ClassicHarvest02_zps7a7701dc.jpg

ClassicHarvest03_zps4d8e7893.jpg

Next up is my SuperFly Harvest. 171g slightly overstable midrange that is one of my favorite woodies because it's so consistent and fits great for those shots that are too long for my Buzzz but are too short for my TeeBird. This ones been in my bag since March of 2012 and has been thrown about 1800 times. It's hit a lot of trees, a lot... but it really still looks like it's only been thrown a few time. This one is made from a really tough tree.

SuperFlyHarvest01_zpsc335e515.jpg

SuperFlyHarvest02_zps2c4bf424.jpg

SuperFlyHarvest03_zps14799c7e.jpg

This is my 168 Fly Harvest. This one is what the Harvest Brad is making right now are like. I've only had it since August, so I haven't put more than probably 250-300 throws on it (bad weather), but it is amazing. Straight as an arrow - holds any line and hardly has a drop of fade to speak of. This disc will get a lot of play in 2013. (the pics just reminded me that I need to get my phone number on this)

FlyHarvest01_zpse514ab7b.jpg

FlyHarvest02_zps816fba5d.jpg

FlyHarvest03_zpsa8ee75b8.jpg

Continuing on with the pics of the 8 Flywoods that I keep in my bag...

This is my favorite driver, period. My 169g Walking Stick. This was one of the very first cuts of the current Walking Stick design and I don't think I can imagine my bag without it. It is very flat and stable out of the hand, makes a slight understable turn very late in flight, then has a long hook fade. It's very easy to predict.
I've had it since April of 2012 and I've thrown it probably 3000 times on the course. This is clearly the most abused of my woodies, next to the Dog Log, having been blasted into hundreds of trees and taking nosedive trips into the street on about 30 occasions - fortunately, it's weathered the pavement better than I would have thought.
You can easily see the markings from all the rough treatment, but the shape of the edge is true.

169WalkingStick01_zps283fdcf3.jpg

169WalkingStick02_zps0a89ccd8.jpg

169WalkingStick03_zps0aa8ef02.jpg

This one is my lightweight, 135g, Walking Stick. I use it for something a bit more understable than the 169g Stick above and like it for going uphill. Other than the late turn being a bit more understable than the other, the flight is the same. I've had it since May 2012 and I've thrown it about 750 times on the course.

135WalkingStick01_zpsa08f10ff.jpg

135WalkingStick02_zps2289503d.jpg

135WalkingStick03_zps876d3d52.jpg

Finally, this is my weird, hyzer-flip Walking Stick custom job.
Locally, there are quite a few holes that required a very long, slow right hand turn on an RHBH or a really powerful RHFH bomb to get a good look at the basket. I don't have a powerful forehand, so I use really understable, flippy discs. I had Brad take the Walking Stick design and lower the parting line about 2.5 -3mm and this is what I got.
It's 134g and when I release it from a RHBH throw with a very hyzer angle, almost pointing at the ground, and shoot it straight out, it sits up into a very quickly and starts a long, slow, steady glide that just keeps cruizing right. Very little fade.
I've had this since July and thrown it about 350-400 times on the course.

CustomWalkingStick01_zps759e054c.jpg

CustomWalkingStick02_zps5ce7866d.jpg

CustomWalkingStick03_zps0d8e2883.jpg

Well, that's the 8 discs that I throw on a regular basis. Sorry for the marathon posting... but those pesky image restrictions...

Folks wanted to see what my old ones look like that I throw and how they've held up... well, I hope this helps.

Of all these, my favorite is my first one, my "Dog" Log.

Here's two final pictures of the wood gang:

The8FromTheBag01_zps3dfc6991.jpg

The8FromTheBag02_zpse41a87f3.jpg

Do these ever show up in the Marketplace? I'd love to take a stab at one of these beauties.

Late to the game, but thanks for posting the used pics. I've taken mine out a few times and I really like the flight on it.

Latest posts