• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flywood

Beautiful, I want one right now but I've spent too much on discs this year so this is going on my christmas list.

PS - Screw the pdga and their stupid rules.

Beautiful, I want one right now but I've spent too much on discs this year so this is going on my christmas list.

If you're going to make a specific order, as in you want a certain color and weight range, place that order 3 1/2 weeks ahead to make sure you get it in time. Brad makes all of these by hand and sometimes nailing a specific weight range with your preferred color means making several attempts to get it right. You'll never be sorry for the wait though. The guy is truly a master of his craft.

By the way, you can get pretty much any weight between 135g and 172g on the Walking Stick, 155 - 180g on the Harvest and 165 - 182g on the Log.

I really like the Sticks between 138 - 145. Like a really light Blizzard, but without the super flexibility and they don't ever get "beat-in". They'll always fly the same no matter how many trees you hit.

If I was a Civil War re-enactor and I had downtime to fill between battles, I'd totally get one of these.

After reading this whole thread, I am pretty turned on by the idea. I'd like to buy 2 of each mold, one to throw and one to shelf, once I get the money. They may be about 2x the price of plastic, but if they are as durable as you say, it seems like it would be cool to try them out. They certainly are beautiful and unique. The sounds I heard from the video were appealing. Great job reporting so diligently for us, stubborn puppet. Sorry you got so much negativity for just presenting a new type of disc. I'm surprised at how even disc golfers can be so close-minded.

Thanks!

I know that Flywood's owner has been having a great year and a big holiday sales season. I've personally sold about 25 of them out on the links too.

As for long term durability, the Logs and Harvests have held their edge remarkably well and show no signs of ever giving up. The Walking Sticks are also really tough against the trees - but, with the skinnier edge, they don't much like rocks. All in all, the Walking Stick is far tougher than a DX plastic disc, even against rocks, but I could see how abusing one of them a lot could lead to a life span of couple of years. On the plus side though, they don't "beat-in" like a plastic disc, so mine, which I bought in February and March, still fly exactly the same as mine did the first time I threw them. I don't abuse mine, so I expect they'll last at least 4 years.

I really think I need to make my own video for YouTube. That video is a terrible representation of Flywood. No offense, but those two guys are just plain bad. Mine always sound like bamboo when they hit the basket and sound really cool when they hit a tree.

Now, you want to talk about negativity, I recently carried my bag, which has 8 of them in it, into a DG shop while travelling. When the owner of the shop saw them, he insisted that I get the discs out of his store immediately. He was so offended that he claimed that I don't respect the sport and should be banned from playing the game at all. I was pretty surprised because the guy looked like he was a hippie - I'd expect a hippie to at least respect the fact that these are 100% organic and hand made in the USA.

Eh, I just had a good laugh over it and moved on to where I sold 4 of them to locals at the course just down the street from his shop. One of the guys rang some chains on a fly-by to a 350' hole with his first throw - that led to the sale of the other 3. I figure that this is how sports equipment evolves. Something new comes around, people scoff it at first... then, as more people try it and like it, more people step outside of their "comfort zone" and want to use it and the regulations get updated to include it. Maybe...

As others have said, thanks to stubborn puppet for supplying such a wealth of detailed information on an otherwise-obscure DG company. This is good stuff, gorgeous and innovative.

I'm strongly considering getting one for my brother-in-law, who's an outdoorsy do-it-your-self-er. He'd love it, and it might finally provide the impetus to get him out on the course with me. Either way, it's good to have Flywood on my radar.

For Christmas, my wife bought me a 150g Walking Stick and a 168g Harvest in matching red. They are gorgeous and fly great!

Wouldn't those be harmful to trees out on the course? The wing of the driver looks just like a Gateway Slayer.

Here's a picture of a custom engraved, special order disc that I got from Flywood for a local church who wanted to honor one of their members before he left for a tour of duty.

The actual engraving is pretty bland (sorry), but that's what they asked to have put on it. These engravings can be just about as complex as one likes, their done with a laser.
The disc also has "flywood" engraved in the bottom in a circle, which is pretty cool. I forgot to get a picture of that.

FlywoodBridgeEngraving_zps6eafa135.jpg

Ya, I have to give a shoutout to Flywood both as a disc manufacturer and a company in general. Flywood sponsors our club, and we use their discs as trophies. Until recently, they have been kinda a gimmick locally, but now that players in our area are getting their hands on these discs they (the discs) are certainly being taken more seriously.
An example:

FlywoodTrophyEdit_zps1f4586e4.jpg

My $.02

sorry for the bad lighting on the pic.

Last edited:
Rattling Chains published an article about Flywood today, for anyone interested:

The natural approach - Flywood looking to make a mark on the game

We'll also be having a review of the Walking Stick in the coming weeks. Enjoy!

Fantastic article. Thanks for posting.

I am curious, "What weight is the Stick you'll be testing?" I've got 3 of them myself, 135g, 150g and 170g. They are understable with a mild fade at the lighter end and pretty flat with more fade on the heavier end. Just curious, since it makes so much difference.

Thanks

I've got a 172, and when I really dial it in, it looks like the Flywood flight chart: straight, late turn, nice fade. When I don't get on it enough, it doesn't have that late turn and just goes straight then fades. Nice disc.

So my wife (good Lady) just got me a Harvest for a present. These are so beautiful that I'm afraid to throw the damn thing! I'm thinking I should get a 3 pack (driver/mid/putter) for use and keep this one as a wall hanger. Any updates on the durability?

And thanks S_P for the info....never would have taken these seriously, let alone gotten one of these without all the info you've posted.

What a trip "hempies".
Did you know that Flywood makes some catch discs called "hempies"?

Hempies_2-18-13_sml_zps7797d83a.jpg

8501481953_2a528067bc_o.jpg

Got this beauty after reading the Rattling Chains article.
No way am I throwing this, looks too damn pretty.

I need to get another to put in my bag.

Also, Hempies...

To your durability question - My first Flywood, a Log, which I've used in every game I've played for about 2 years now, has been thrown at over 3500 baskets at this point. It's doing fine. Heck, my dog chewed the damn thing about three weeks after I got it. I filled the holes with wood filler, sanded and re-oiled it... and it's still going strong. It looks well used, but what putter doesn't after that much use? My go to Harvest has been thrown about 1800 times and nailed about 500 trees - it still looks practically new. My favorite Walking Stick has been really abused - thrown about 2300 times, hit about 800 trees at full blast, hit the road about 15 times... it's in as good shape as just about any driver that I've thrown that much. I throw them in the hot of summer, the freezing winter, rain or snow; keeping them re-oiled about every 4 months has done the trick.

The only things I avoid throwing my woodies towards are rocks and places where I will permanently lose them if I am "off". I learned the "no jagged rocks" thing with the custom driver I had him make for me a long time ago - I blasted a tall hyzer to clear some trees and it got an ugly 3/16" dent (not a chip or splinter or delamination) where the edge came down right on a pile of sharp rocks. I've seen worse on a DX driver, but at least I was able to patch it up with some wood-filler and a little sanding.

To Skulboy:

"THROW IT". They'll make more... and the next one you buy might look even prettier.

Here's proof:

Harvests_2-18-13_sml_zpsd5428207.jpg

Sticks_2-18-13_sml_zpsf8768469.jpg

Logs_2-18-13_sml_zpsa5c639d3.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts