• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

For anyone who uses Nikko's Putting Style

@ HCD. Some of us are trying different things to find what works for us. There's nothing wrong with watching pro's and emulating their style. For me, I shoot free throws completely flat footed without a stagger. This seemed like a natural evoluation in my DG game for my putting technique as well.

Now there's an analogy I had thought of. I shoot free throws with both toes on the line as well. Maybe free throws are why I keep comming back to the stradle putt.

I am playing with this style as well.
There is a lot of similarity with Ken Climo's putt, and some differences.
The obvious pros are straightness and conssistency.
The obvious Cons are distance and power.

I like that there is more major muscle group activity with this putt and less wrist action.
Still trying to figure it out, and I usually miss low. The aiming point has been problematic as well.

Have you ever had days when the basket seemed as big as a VW? I've had a few and for some reason squaring up with the basket on a straddle putt makes it feel like that more often.

Right now, I've got my basket in my laundry room. I am putting through my kitchen, from the den, and the basket is just inside of the doorway. I intentionally placed it there so I could reduce the hyzer in my putts. (To practice those instances when I have to putt between obstructions) I did notice that Nikko does have some hyzer on his at times, but there is no right to left movement correct?

the main benefit of the swing putt is the resistance to lateral movement, despite release angle. that means i can putt straight at it, with a hyzer release, and the right-to-left lateral movement is minimal.

its good to know how to make all sorts of putts, but i have found that the hyzer swing putt is the most consistent for me (when its not blasting through right chains...:eek:).

So we're not talking about when he stradle putts, but rather when he has his lead foot in front with his arm swinging freely, like on longer putts? Then, yeah, I use that same technique too for longer putts. On shortish putts I still push putt. For those who say they can't generate good power with it, I find just the opposite. With the swing of the arm and a flick of the wrist, I don't have a problem getting it to the basket. Much easier to generate power this way than with the standard push putt IMO.

I never said that there was anything wrong with watching pros. I have learned a ton by watching pros. That said.... if what someone else does is very unnatural for you then trying to incorporate that shot may not make sense. Watch pros and video of them, then video tape yourself. Find something that feels natural and comfortable and works for you that was my point. I believe in K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid.

Side note... There is a lot of research that suggests if you have to "think" about what you are doing in a competitive sport it will hurt your game. The thinking should take place during practice to make it automatic when it counts.

I have played and hung out with Nikko, and I can tell you that he spends.. in his words "way to many hours a week practicing".

I've heard that Nikko spends a lot of time on the courses! Right now, I'm spending a lot of time in the den, putting through the kitchen into the laundry room.

if youre trying to adopt the swing hyzer putt, which is nikkos bread and butter, you should.

Um, yeah....letting it go on a hyzer angle is much easier. BUT, I can see why you might worry about chain outs. The disc is so skinny when it hits them.

I've heard that Nikko spends a lot of time on the courses! Right now, I'm spending a lot of time in the den, putting through the kitchen into the laundry room.

When he was in Arizona last summer he would spend hours (at least 2) on a basket, doing nothing but putting. There were times that I came out of the bar that is right next to my course, only to find him putting......at 9 pm

I have putted with nikko's style and have switched to a similar but slightly more staggered stance style. He does putt with hyzer but it is not extreme and there should not be a huge amount of left/right movement in the putt. You should throw it right at the basket.

What is very very important is your wrist opening and finger spring. You do not want your wrist to go from neutral to closed to open on the putt. You should start the putt with your wrist slightly bent (think 10 o'clock to 11 o'clock if 12 is straight out as if you were shaking hands...right hand orientation) and then open it very quickly after you start your arm swing forward toward the basket. This is what creates the pitch. If you do not open your wrist quickly it can bend backwards which you DO NOT want to happen. This will rob you of a consistent release point and accuracy. The power for the putt should be created by your arm swing, pushing the disc off your palm and springing your fingers open all at the same time. The ideal grip according to the pros I have talked to is to use a fan grip with all four fingers underneath the flightplate of the disc. Your index finger should not be extended along the edge of the disc but curled under it so that your first knuckle/joint of your index finger is located on or inside the bottom edge of the disc. Some advocate having your pinkie against the rim of the disc. Whatever your grip, it should facilitate all of your fingers coming off the disc at the same time. If your putts are floppy then your are not springing your fingers off the disc at the same time. You will get more distance if you can spring all your fingers of the disc at once. If you watch Nikko he releases the putt almost before the disc comes in front of his knees. When you throw his pitch style putt your arm makes an arc from between your legs up to pointing at the basket. Your wrist should extend and your fingers spring off the disc at the bottom of this arc just as your arm is starting to come forward.

When he was in Arizona last summer he would spend hours (at least 2) on a basket, doing nothing but putting. There were times that I came out of the bar that is right next to my course, only to find him putting......at 9 pm

Doesn't surprise me heh. He sinks a lot of rediculously beautifal putts.

Nikko is a great putter for basically one reason, his work ethic.

When Nikko makes his way down to south Texas, he usually stays at my house. I have a basket set up in the back yard.

The times Nikko has stayed with me, the minimun amount of time he spent each day putting in my backyard was 2 hours with the average around 3 hours. It was incredible to watch.

He spent some time with my son and helped turn him into a better than average putter.

I didn't ask Nikko for help myself but after watching me putt for about a half an hour, his only advice to me was to take two weeks off and then, give the game up. LOL

I believe Nikko's philosophy is "Anything worth doing is worth doing in excess."

Woodpecker