• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] For the love of the Bird! ..Teebird that is!

Bringing a TB response over to a TB thread :)

from the Cr*ve thread:
Star Teebirds have been pretty consistent.

Have you thrown a JL teebird btw?

Those are nice.

I cut my teeth on the '06 run of Star Teebird, so to me those are the correct ones. I loved those things and have a slim stack. The newer Star TBs I liked were a flat-ish gummy type from around 2009. They've never bested the original S-TB's though, that was a pure TB. I touched a lot of 'em between doing inventories and picking freebies from 5 years of HOTT events.

I haven't thrown a JL Teebird but they look nice. It seems like a pricier raw material so I applaud that. The only Champ TBs I ever bagged were flat/gummy KC Pearlies, and 150g gummy glassies. Those were a tick less stable, which I liked.

TBs were never a staple in my bag, but more of a utility headwind-QJ. My bag was geared toward neutral with stunt doubles for headwind.

As far as STAR: Special Tacky Abrasion Resistant plastic, I loved it from 06 to 08, and since then I've disliked what it's become. True first run SJ's, SOLS, SOLF, SW, TB, TL, SMS, Valks... all those were fantastic batches and luckily I had many of them. That stuff's up there with CE in my opinion. Since then I've handled thousands of newer ones doing inventory receives, and 95% of the time it's a major let down. There were some dope Star TLs a couple years ago so of course I stacked those up. But Sidewinders in particular, **** a non-FR, killin' me. SJs were promptly ruined, SOLS/SOLF got wonky... they just never seemed like "the good stuff" to me again. Champy-Star is an exceptional exception.

Too long; didn't read: I like the flavors from 06-08 and dislike newer iterations based on dissimilarity to my established prefs

I have a ridiculous number of early Star Sidewinders and true 1.1 SJ's... due to new developments, I'm coming off those hoards real soon :D

As far as STAR: Special Tacky Abrasion Resistant plastic, I loved it from 06 to 08, and since then I've disliked what it's become.

Amen to that. It is amazing how the STAR plastic has changed - mostly just less tacky now. The old stock was grippy, similar to GStar, but with the stiffer plastic. I wouldn't go as far as your CE comparison, but it was close. At the time I remember thinking it was close enough to put away the CE plastic.

I have an old S-TB and an early Star TL, and dang those things feel good in the hand.

Bringing a TB response over to a TB thread :)

from the Cr*ve thread:

I cut my teeth on the '06 run of Star Teebird, so to me those are the correct ones. I loved those things and have a slim stack. The newer Star TBs I liked were a flat-ish gummy type from around 2009. They've never bested the original S-TB's though, that was a pure TB. I touched a lot of 'em between doing inventories and picking freebies from 5 years of HOTT events.

I haven't thrown a JL Teebird but they look nice. It seems like a pricier raw material so I applaud that. The only Champ TBs I ever bagged were flat/gummy KC Pearlies, and 150g gummy glassies. Those were a tick less stable, which I liked.

TBs were never a staple in my bag, but more of a utility headwind-QJ. My bag was geared toward neutral with stunt doubles for headwind.

As far as STAR: Special Tacky Abrasion Resistant plastic, I loved it from 06 to 08, and since then I've disliked what it's become. True first run SJ's, SOLS, SOLF, SW, TB, TL, SMS, Valks... all those were fantastic batches and luckily I had many of them. That stuff's up there with CE in my opinion. Since then I've handled thousands of newer ones doing inventory receives, and 95% of the time it's a major let down. There were some dope Star TLs a couple years ago so of course I stacked those up. But Sidewinders in particular, **** a non-FR, killin' me. SJs were promptly ruined, SOLS/SOLF got wonky... they just never seemed like "the good stuff" to me again. Champy-Star is an exceptional exception.

Too long; didn't read: I like the flavors from 06-08 and dislike newer iterations based on dissimilarity to my established prefs

I have a ridiculous number of early Star Sidewinders and true 1.1 SJ's... due to new developments, I'm coming off those hoards real soon :D

I agree, most of the recent runs of Star just isn't the same as the early batches. The old stuff was just so tacky and nice. The blood red was especially sweet.

I agree, most of the recent runs of Star just isn't the same as the early batches. The old stuff was just so tacky and nice. The blood red was especially sweet.

That explains why the best TB I've ever owned is my old red Route 66 stamped one. I call it "Butterbird".

I even liked the flatter/stiffer/less tacky star runs. It wasn't til they got all soupbowl domey that I started to have an issue with 'em.

Well, I'm coming back home. Took a brief break from Teebirds starting about a year ago. Sold off the few 11X Cals I had and decided to find something a little more affordable to replace....regretting that decision now.

Started with the Proton Volt. Loved it at first. They started to lose some HSS and that's when I dropped them. I throw about 50/50 BH/FH and for some reason I couldn't FH these as well as the birds.

Next I went to the Pinnacle Rival. Didn't last very long. Flight wise they were great, good HSS and a dependable fade. Just not near as much glide as a Teebird for me. Also the bottom of the wing feels sharp, and that didn't jive with my FH.

Then the Release of the Saint Pro. A Teebird-esque disc in sweet Swedish plastic?!?! I bought 4 optos and immediately fell in love. Briefly. Good HSS and fade, decent glide, awesome plastic. After about 2 months of use they lost a significant amount of HSS while retaining most of the LSS. UGGGHHH.

So back to the old trusty birds. I've been able to rid my bag of all OOP and with the prices of good 11x Cals these days I'll be sticking to production birds. I have a flat glow on the way that should fill the OS slot.

Are there any production Stars that are flat these days? I don't mind a mild dome but some of the stars I've seen on the shelves lately are suuuuper domey.

I threw a brand new glow dx yesterday & it flipped in the slightest headwind. I thought I remembered dx having more hss when new, maybe not

all my dx have had turn out of the box. the most recent TB i bought from MST seemed harder than the rest and is more stable.

on a happier note, my "seasoned" dx bird got to fly in a tailwind today. like a frickin' ROCKET. for a bit i was wondering if the eagle would kick them out but there's nothing quite like being able to really just crank the crap out of it, watch it zoom off perfectly straight. 360' uphill, still about 8 feet off the ground and TRUCKIN' until it hit the tree directly in front of the basket. :\

but i parked the next hole i threw it on. :D and threw my new yellow for an all-time "closest to pin" record for me on another hole

good things, man. there's something to be said for just having a fresh dx TB and a seasoned one in the bag, but the fresh one might get booted in favor of QOLFs, which are more wind resistant and just as long for me. i find myself in more situations where i want a seasoned dx TB and rarely ever care if i have a fresh one.

i think my fairway lineup will look like this:

seasoned dx TB
seasoned dx eagle x
star eagle x (or fresh dx, not sure yet)
champ eagle x

i really don't see much i can miss between the eagle and TB. great combo and glad i gave it a shot, you guys are really onto something with the teebird. ;)

good things, man. there's something to be said for just having a fresh dx TB and a seasoned one in the bag, but the fresh one might get booted in favor of QOLFs, which are more wind resistant and just as long for me.

I know you're on a DX trip, but you might want to try a G* TB. It reminds me of a new DX without any turn and slightly more HSS. It's the premium plastic TB I've been wanting forever. I've only thrown the proshop release, but I'm extremely impressed so far. Just hoping they don't get too soft in the heat that's heading my way.

I know you're on a DX trip, but you might want to try a G* TB. It reminds me of a new DX without any turn and slightly more HSS. It's the premium plastic TB I've been wanting forever. I've only thrown the proshop release, but I'm extremely impressed so far. Just hoping they don't get too soft in the heat that's heading my way.

haha, you're right - i do tend to hype up just about every new disc i get. the dx, i consider how it beats almost a "feature" but i'm very VERY nervous about how easily it will get bent out of shape once we start getting above freezing regularly and the plastic softens up - i bet on a 98 degree day after a point-blank tree that wing AIN'T going back to its normal shape ever again.

with the above in consideration, you must've read my mind because i definitely have been thinking about a gstar teebird with people stating they fly similar to dx and all.

It would certainly complement your seasoned DXs after you get a couple where you like them. I've tacoed (creased) DX TBs on full power throws into trees off the tee. They're surprisingly easy to work back into shape. I wouldn't be too nervous as long as you're willing to work on them for a few holes.

That's my fairway set up, DX TB, GS TB, Champ TB.

edit - Destroyer set up is the same as well except reg Star not Gstar

Last edited:
The main Tee-Bird in my bag for a long time, has been a Totem. Started out as overstable as my firebird, but now has dropped some of it's HSS. Now it's a great flyer, can throw it out straight and let it flip flat, glide for a while then fade without dumping off. Has great glide too since it has a decent dome to it. Going to add another to my bag soon to have a more OS one.

What weight is your G* ?

Is there flat G star Teebirds ?? Like CAL flat? If so I'd love to see a pic of the profile.

All my GStars (I have five...help me....) are flat, but not CAL Flat. There is a mild shoulder, but they are certainly flatter than recent Champion, DX and especially Star runs. I love my G Stars. Everything tbird has been saying is totally true. They are money. I can just lazer beam these things without any hyzer angle. 1/3 of my bag is Teebirds right now...Brinster, AJ, Flat glow champ, Regular Champ, GStar and my beat Star. Gonna start putting with these and just throw nothing but Teebirds.

My g* tb's all look like the early CA 11x molds in shape. Dimple top, low dome, and pretty standard PLH. Glide for days once the flashing wears.

The G* TB's are definitely taking over all my non meathook duties. I have one 11x I am in love with for straight drives, so I am trying to focus on using one g* to get it to glide so well as it slows down.

So that folks can see the dome and shape of these I am posting up some comparisons in a few min.