• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

for those dedicated to rocs or buzzzes

If you're dedicated to the roc or buzzz, do you still carry other midranges in your bag?

• Yes

Votes: 70 69.3%
  • No

Votes: 31 30.7%

• Total voters

funnystance

Par Member
do you carry other midrange discs in your bag, either more overstable or understable?
I don't on any kind of regular basis because i feel like i can get one of various buzzzes to do whatever another mid would do, though i have occasionally dropped a skeeter or stratus in the bag.
i also havent tested many midranges b/c i'm so enamored with the buzzz, so wondering if i might be missing out

I'm a buzzz guy. 2x one z and a champ gator for when i need to turn on the right blinker (LHBH).

I have some really flippy Rocs. I had am old dx Ontatio that went more right that forward.

Then I've got some dx Rocs that are very Stable (like the one Frank sent me a while ago with a Christmas Stamp on it...perfect dx shape!)

And I guess if I needed even more stability, I could put a 2005 Glow in my bag. That thing is straight Sir Loin.
image.php

The Roc has been a constant in my bag for 2 years now after jaunts with the Element, Comet, Buzz, and the Roc (originally). It's by far the disc I feel the most comfortable with, so I don't think adding anything would really do me that much good.

I do have an ultra overstable mid range driver in the bag occasionally (A Blaze), but only when I'm throwing a lot of short spikes or it's 30mph+.

Furthur said:
Then I've got some dx Rocs that are very Stable (like the one Frank sent me a while ago with a Christmas Stamp on it...that thing is awesome!).

I'm glad you're enjoying that roc.

I throw rocs but the comet has permanently made it way into my bag.

I do a little of both scenarios... sometimes just the various Ranchos, sometimes several different mids.
I really like the Comet/Roc combo and I never had trouble swapping back and forth between the two molds.
Right now I only have Rocs in the bag but I will probably add a Cobra. I found myself not wanting to throw my beat Roc in some scary situations. They take too long to beat just right!

I don't think I have ever had more than 3 in the bag at once. But I'm thinking about the Aftershock/Buzzz/Meteor combo...

I voted No (and was apparently the first one to do so!) but I should explain a little...

I carry Rocs exclusively. I've tried other mids before (Buzzz, Comet, Element) but have always come back to the Roc. That being said, I still needed something more stable than a new DX Rancho Roc for sidearms, thumbers/tommys and trick shots. Since Innova hasn't yet released a regular-production Champ Rancho Roc and I wasn't going to pay a premium price for a USDGC Roc, I decided to carry a flat Z Wasp instead. I find that it suits my needs for an overstable mid and is still close enough to the Rancho Roc that I don't feel like I'm throwing a completely different mid. It's basically just a slightly beefier Roc that isn't going to lose stability after a few tree hits/spike hyzers/etc.

Of course, that's my opinion and I'm sure others will vary widely on this issue.

sleepy

marmoset said:
I found myself not wanting to throw my beat Roc in some scary situations. They take too long to beat just right!
While I am primarily a 'carry several Rocs in various stages of wear' guy, I too have found that it takes quite a while for me (given the infrequency with which I play) to get a new Rancho Roc beat in enough to be a dependable turnover mid.

My solution has been the DX Ontario Roc. Out of the box it holds an anhyzer line almost all the way, and after a little bit of wear it will hold it the entire way. It is also a very straight flyer when you can't get a full throwing motion. An excellent compliment to a Rancho Roc, or as an 'Oh my God, I just lost my beat Rancho and need another turnover mid ASAP' disc. :p

sleepy

I imagine the poll results will be skewed as the majority of buzz throwers carry something for overstable needs while most roc throwers just carry rocs. At least that's my experience.

In the winter, I throw Buzzz's.

In the summer I throw DX Rocs

In reaally hot places (like in the us) I throw KC Rocs

The reason for this. In the winter my fingers gets really cold so I can't grip my Rocs, Buzzz has the best grip ever. I actually dislike the grip in rocs but can live with it in the summer. In hot places I even can grip KC Rocs, they get so soft anyway :D

abcd said:
I imagine the poll results will be skewed as the majority of buzz throwers carry something for overstable needs while most roc throwers just carry rocs. At least that's my experience.

hmm, i carry buzzzs and just use heavier z buzzzes with hyzer for more overstable needs. the only time i consider other mids is for understable turns (i dont get a decent S out of a buzzz at all- it just goes wherever i throw it)

Just Rocs. People underestimate just how stable Rocs are when fresh in my opinion. If I need something overstable I just pull out the Firebird - one of the easiest discs to execute range control with in my humble ass opinion.

Jsw said:
Just Rocs. People underestimate just how stable Rocs are when fresh in my opinion.

I used to carry Rocs + a QSentinel until I figured this out for myself. Now it's 3-4 Rocs 95% of the time, and I'll occasionally throw in an old Shark or a Cobra if I want something REALLY flippy (typically reserved for specific courses).

I carry 3 rocs in my bag at all times in various stages of wear. But I've been known to throw an element x in there occasionally. Great overatable mid. The element (not the x) is also a great mid that acts like a beat in roc when it's fresh. I should put one in my back permanently

1 ESP Zone
2 Z Buzzz
1 ESP Comet
1 Z Comet

I use the Comets more than anything else but when the wind picks up I know I have options.

I just got into rocs recently. I'm throwing ranchos and I'm gonna add a z comet for lower ceilings and right turners. I haven't had discraft in my bag in more than 2 years. I've got a couple san marino's coming too, which may negate the need for the comet. We shall see. I'm gonna be experimenting a lot this winter, and not like a college co-ed but like a high school virgin on the science team.

rooneytunes said:
I just got into rocs recently. I'm throwing ranchos and I'm gonna add a z comet for lower ceilings and right turners. I haven't had discraft in my bag in more than 2 years. I've got a couple san marino's coming too, which may negate the need for the comet. We shall see. I'm gonna be experimenting a lot this winter, and not like a college co-ed but like a high school virgin on the science team.

So not at all?