• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand driving putter?

Zone, Pig, Rhyno and VP (and others like them) have the problem that they're really damn overstable. If the reason you're learning to throw putters is to get better form, don't go for the most overstable putters you can find. A regular neutral putter will be much better for diagnostic purposes, even an Aviar can be flicked far with a clean FH.

That said, out of all the putters I've ever thrown FH the JOKERi is probably the best. It's very HSS and doesn't flip easily, even with a lot of power behind it, even in Basic. It can handle wind with ease. If you put some spin on it, it'll glide better than a Pig, Zone, Rhyno or VP would. It grips great for FH, and has a flat top that is usually favored by FH throwers.

What separates it from the majority is that while it's very HSS, it's not too LSS, meaning you get a much straighter, Wizard'ish finish. And the best part I've found is that as it beats, even if its all covered in dents, it doesn't really lose that HSS, but the fade gets smaller, meaning you get even straighter flights out of it as it beats in.

The Premium is practically indestructible, and not too much more LSS than a brand new Basic. It doesn't glide as much, but it's still quite alright in that regard. If you want a great driving putter (whether FH or BH), give the JOKERi a try. But if you're just trying to work on your form, an Aviar P&A or something along those lines will be a great tool.

I really like forehanding Wizards it kinda the disc that got me to driving with a forehand flick in the first place (thought I would never forehand when I first started playing it would go 25 ft then dump till I picked up a wiz and they were going strait for me with 10x the distance) when I was doing putting pratice.

Zone feels great with a forehand grip. It's pretty overstable and you won't overthrow holes as often.

Ridge for sure.

personally i cannot FH drive a putter and i have never seen anyone do it...never really thought about it, nice thread

I'll reiterate: Zone is easy to throw FH because it's so damn overstable, but if you're trying to learn clean form, it's not going to do much for you.

another zone supporter...ESP for the stability when needed and D for when its not a necessity

I use both my challenger and zone but could use any putter.
My fh is nasty off the tee but clean on putters and mids........if i could just get it to transfer to the pad..

whats wrong with using a putter? it wont hurt his game

forehanding a putter doesn't teach you how to throw a driver. Forehand will not ever achieve the same spin that a backhand does, it's very velocity dominant which is why forehands turn more. A Buzzz throws more like a driver and requires less spin and glide to get to where it's going. It's stability is still touchy enough that a rolled wrist or oat of any kind will flip it over. Putters require more height and glide their way down the fairway, it's very difficult to get a high forehand while maintaining nose down like a putter or mids like a comet need.

A Buzzz has a thinner rim, and also shallower, which seems to be easier to grip for most people on a forehand. A Roc is usually difficult to get a handle on otherwise a roc would do just fine as well even though it also likes a little height. So, just getting a Buzzz of some sort, and trying to shape hyzers and anhyzer with it out to about 200-250 will help a lot more for both mids and drivers than throwing a putter forehanded.

to comment on all the ESP zone +1's, that thing has no glide. It's an overstable, shallow rimmed, glideless "putter" that really is just a mid in disguise. It reacts better to speed, and not spin, and can handle low lines.

forehanding a putter doesn't teach you how to throw a driver. Forehand will not ever achieve the same spin that a backhand does, it's very velocity dominant which is why forehands turn more. A Buzzz throws more like a driver and requires less spin and glide to get to where it's going. It's stability is still touchy enough that a rolled wrist or oat of any kind will flip it over. Putters require more height and glide their way down the fairway, it's very difficult to get a high forehand while maintaining nose down like a putter or mids like a comet need.

A Buzzz has a thinner rim, and also shallower, which seems to be easier to grip for most people on a forehand. A Roc is usually difficult to get a handle on otherwise a roc would do just fine as well even though it also likes a little height. So, just getting a Buzzz of some sort, and trying to shape hyzers and anhyzer with it out to about 200-250 will help a lot more for both mids and drivers than throwing a putter forehanded.

to comment on all the ESP zone +1's, that thing has no glide. It's an overstable, shallow rimmed, glideless "putter" that really is just a mid in disguise. It reacts better to speed, and not spin, and can handle low lines.

I agree & disagree...

I agree...
-FH does not generate as much spin as BH... (I have been working on ways to get more spin with some success though) Hamerpounds and working wrist snap.
-It is harder to throw a FH with nose down... it is harder but it can be done and spin has a lot to do with this.

I disagree...
-Throwing FH drives with putters will not improve your form. It has greatly improved my form and massively reduced OAT in my FH. If you can release a putter without OAT and without any wrist roll it will improve your FH drives.

-Buzzz's stability is touchy. Not anywhere near as much as an XD or other understable putter. I can get my XD's almost out to 300' on a FH throw and when I started working on my putter drives this summer they were only going 200'. My driving distance and line shaping ability with drivers has been greatly affected by throwing FH putter drives with an XD as well. The Buzzz will hide a lot more form flaws than most putters will.

I agree that there are some limitations to throwing FH but I have an injory that prohibits my BH ability. If you want to get good at a certain type of throw all it takes is time and practice.

I do agree with your statment about the Zone....

Last edited:

i dont disagree about the glide, but like when do you make the jump from a putter to a mid (on a single shot, not just in general)? the whole point of me flicking my zone is so that it only goes as far as i throw it - i dont want a putter to be uber glide-y and just hang there anymore than it has to [or i drive an ion].

for the record i drastically favor the pro-D for "dailydriver" purposes (not that i flick all the time, but you get what im saying hopefully) while the ESP is way more of a circumstantial i-need-that-exact-flight kinda FH drives.

I play 95% FH. The best putters I have tried FH have been the Ringer, ESP Banger, and Crystal Challenger. I would use these mostly on distances between 75-150ft. Im not powering up, but with a simple flick they fly nicely at that range with consistancy. Currently Im using the Crystal Challenger for FH approaches or backhanded putter drives. If you can find an ESP Banger I would ues it. I dont know what it is, but that disc was the best of the three FH putters. Great feel in the hands.

And for longer distances past 150ft you can simply power down and flick a buzzz, buzzz ss, or meteor

I agree & disagree...

I agree...
-FH does not generate as much spin as BH... (I have been working on ways to get more spin with some success though) Hamerpounds and working wrist snap.
-It is harder to throw a FH with nose down... it is harder but it can be done and spin has a lot to do with this.

I disagree...
-Throwing FH drives with putters will not improve your form. It has greatly improved my form and massively reduced OAT in my FH. If you can release a putter without OAT and without any wrist roll it will improve your FH drives.

-Buzzz's stability is touchy. Not anywhere near as much as an XD or other understable putter. I can get my XD's almost out to 300' on a FH throw and when I started working on my putter drives this summer they were only going 200'. My driving distance and line shaping ability with drivers has been greatly affected by throwing FH putter drives with an XD as well. The Buzzz will hide a lot more form flaws than most putters will.

I agree that there are some limitations to throwing FH but I have an injory that prohibits my BH ability. If you want to get good at a certain type of throw all it takes is time and practice.

I do agree with your statment about the Zone....

You misunderstand me. It won't help how to throw drivers. You might gain lots of control over glidey, slow discs, but you won't be able to get full snap on a driver. I can bet you don't reach 400' with a driver on a forehand, but you are able to throw something like a leopard 325-350. That's because by practicing with the XD, you've created a spin dominant forehand throw. What you want, is the ability to throw fast, with spin. A Buzzz can handle the speed on a smooth throw, but it does need spin in order to keep it from turning and to keep it gliding in the air.

i dont disagree about the glide, but like when do you make the jump from a putter to a mid (on a single shot, not just in general)? the whole point of me flicking my zone is so that it only goes as far as i throw it - i dont want a putter to be uber glide-y and just hang there anymore than it has to [or i drive an ion].

for the record i drastically favor the pro-D for "dailydriver" purposes (not that i flick all the time, but you get what im saying hopefully) while the ESP is way more of a circumstantial i-need-that-exact-flight kinda FH drives.

My putter flicks are very different than my driving flicks. I'll have to make a video sometime just to show the difference, but there is definitely one. I can flick a putter up to about 150', without hardly moving my arm at all. Outside of that is where I lightly flick a buzzz, and as I need more distance, I start moving my arm. The putter accuracy flick though is very close to how a flick in ultimate is done (kind of how he throws at 4:00)

wizards and VPs. i really like the lack of glide in the vp esp for shots around 50 to 75feet very accurate since you really have to throw the disc.

is the zone like that. it just falls out of the sky once it slows down?