• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand throws must suck

Johnnytothec

Bogey Member
I was playing a tag round the other day, and threw a forehand on a 318' hole that curves right after a gap. Despite throwing the shot well, my friend suggested that I just should just use my forehand for escape shots and then on normal throws to throw an anhyser "like the pros would." Although I would have preferred it if he had just said nice shot, he did bring up a interesting point.

When you watch videos of the USDGC or Worlds, there are almost no forehands! Why do you see the world's best throwing anhysers over forehands?

Well, when your rating is 1000+, you can do magical things with just backhand. They propably feel more comfortable using just one kind of throw (BH), there are many exceptions, but most of the top pro's use 99% BH. I guess there ain't no reason to use other shots when you can do just about everything with BH. Avery Jenkins is the only one pro I've seen throwing an FH more than once.

I think your friend is just jealous and he sucks! Throw what ever plastic, in what ever style you feel comfortable. Just do what works for you.

SkaBob said:
Mark Ellis is a forehand machine. Just insane.

I have never seen him play, but in the Discraft Forehand Video, he says he is forehand dominent. I know there are FH guys who are crazy good, but what I am wondering is why top players, who would BH a hole that favors neither BH or FH would still BH a hole that favors FH.

I am RHBH, but if the hole or approach has less resistance forehand I will throw that route. It is not that I can't throw an anhyser well, but it just seems that a forehand is more forgiving for a right turning shot. If I throw an anny a little too low, it hits short left and cut rolls way left. If I throw it too high will flex out and end up way left. If I throw a forehand too low, it could skip and still end up on the pin. If I throw it too high, it will come up short right, but still be much closer than had I thrown an anny too high that flexed out left.

Maybe I will just have to revolutionize the game with my RHBHFH when I turn pro :lol:

Johnnytothec said:
I know there are FH guys who are crazy good, but what I am wondering is why top players, who would BH a hole that favors neither BH or FH would still BH a hole that favors FH.
There are also a lot of holes that favor left handed players but I only know one Finnish player who can switch to lefty on those. So I guess what you must think is does the hole favor FH in general or does it favor your FH. I'm no good with BH but even a lot worse with FH so that's why I have to stick to my BH even on holes that would favor FH. So simply put, if you trust in your FH why not use it.

the reason forehands aren't primary in my game
bh has way more potential then a forehand in 80% of the courses.
because not many people throw sidearms you have to figure out the line your self instead of cookie cutting the other guys line in competition.

also when a high stress competition comes in to play means a higher margin of error. people just feel more comfortable with their bh?

if i see a fh line thats easy to hit i'll take it
but if I had a bh line i'd take that over forehand.

Injury potential could be a huge gamble also.

most players learn backhand, most players play backhand and most courses are designed for right handed backhand players. The newer courses are changing some of that and more athletes are learning the game and throwing both left/right handed or forehand/backhand.

If you can throw both, I believe it helps you. It's another tool to use to improve your score. Most of the time though, if you don't have a forehand, you can get by. Avery developed his forehand and uses it well. It gives him an advantage on some holes and some shots.

I would say use it when it's applicable and don't when it's not. There are a few shots where the fairway curves to the right which are better backhand anhyzer shots, but there are also shots that cater to the forehand. Don't give up on the forehand just because others don't throw it. I imagine that the pros haven't thrown it much and it's really too late now to start learning it. Greg Bennett is another forehand player who gets great distance.

Here's my take. Injury prevention. A tournament round can take a long time. With pros, they probably take even longer. Most holes call for backhand. If you throw a forehand full force without being warmed up, you're probably gonna tweak something.

Even if you warm up and throw some FHs and thumbers before the round, if you don't throw another one until hole 14, your arm isn't going to be loose for forehands anymore.

Can't throw any between holes to stay loose, because they would be "practice throws" So, unless they really like to throw forehand and throw it often, most guys will just try to cut it with backhand.

most people who don't throw forehands when it's obviously the best option, just doesn't have the throw. That's it. And most people don't have that throw.

MDR_3000 said:
most people who don't throw forehands when it's obviously the best option, just doesn't have the throw. That's it. And most people don't have that throw.

Yeah, I'm with you.

Well, they do call it a "trick shot" after all :wink:

I used to sidearm Nerf footballs a lot, so I picked it up quick with discs.

My FH is really starting to come around, but I still only use it sparingly. My elbow doesn't like it, but it's been getting better this summer as I've spent a little more time on it. Now I no longer dread flipping it over and having it turn and burn. I can actually rip decent drives with it from time to time.

Throwing a Z Tracker helps. It has a stability of like 1.8 I think, but it should say 3.7.

Mark Ellis is fantastic from what I hear and let's not forget about Geoff Bennett. He played tournaments essentially every week last year and cashed in almost all of them.

black udder said:
MDR_3000 said:

Yeah, I'm with you.

me too

Geoff Bennet uses a forehand on shots that look to be near impossible for that style shot, but they work (clearing a 480' pond, 350' tunnel shots...see MSDGC 2007)

In my game, I use the forehand as much as a backhand, if the course calls for it. IMO, the forehand shot is better than an anhyzer shot because annies will carry farther if they are a little high or off line. with a forehand hyzer, it might skip a little, but you know its going to fade and hit where an anny could flex out, carry, and then skip leaving you with a tougher next shot (upshot, putt, whatever it may be). this doesnt mean i dont throw anhyzers ever (but it is the weakest part of my driving game). just that sometimes, the forehand shot is more favorable than the backhand anhyzer...

but ill let you know if that changes when i become a top pro :twisted:

black udder said:
MDR_3000 said:

Yeah, I'm with you.
+1

Unfortunately I'm in that category, but from time to time I work on it so that eventually the forehand will be a shot I can use in competition. That, and rollers. Looks like I have a long way to go.

Eric O said:
black udder said:
MDR_3000 said:

Yeah, I'm with you.
+1

I throw BH and FH equally well (not well, just equally well), and there really are times when FH is the best choice. Practice it till you're confident and it isn't a "trick shot." You'll have options most other people don't. The key is to really get comfortable with it, and that takes a lot of repetition. I had an injury and couldn't throw backhand for a few months. I had to learn forehand and it's the best thing that's ever happened to my game.

If you aren't sure where it's going to go, then it's still experimental.

Guess I'm really in the minority, Been playing a little over 3 years and am about 90% Forehand with a little Backhand (Left turns under 200') and quite a few Thumbers & FH rollers.

Never learned to get any D on the BH (never practice so that's reason #1) shots so I stick with the Forehand that I can easily get 350+ with. I also prefer the forehand because I think it's easier to him tight gaps on wooded courses, but I understand that talented BH players would disagree.

Everyone's gotta go with what works.

I love using FH in tight situations. Tight wooded holes that turn right. Sometimes I'll use it for placement. I like the accuracy and the fact that you don't have to take your eyes off your target.

What I don't like is my apparent lack of distance and incurable flutter probably due to a sloppy release. I've spent some time on it, but it hasn't improved yet. I do OK on 200 foot shots.

CJ1998 said:
I love using FH in tight situations. Tight wooded holes that turn right. Sometimes I'll use it for placement. I like the accuracy and the fact that you don't have to take your eyes off your target.

What I don't like is my apparent lack of distance and incurable flutter probably due to a sloppy release. I've spent some time on it, but it hasn't improved yet. I do OK on 200 foot shots.

The way I started nailing forehands was to shorten my reachback to almost none and add a massive hip turn as I flick. Not reaching back too far helped me keep the disc level and not torque it over or make it flutter. Hip turn should be easy to get right because your'e turning the same direction and same angle as for hitting a ball.

If you can make your flick pure acceleration (motion covers virtually no time or distance) you'll get immediate improvements. Keep it short and crisp. Flick angry, flick hard.

I was flicking 280-290, then I asked Blake for advice. He told me to shorten my reachback, and my next practice session, I was flicking 340. Wish my backhand insta-improved like that! I'm not trying to learn how to flick farther though. I have already blown out my elbow once and taking too many forehand reps gets it sore and inflammed.

Latest posts