• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Spirit

pspunch

Double Eagle Member
While thumbing through the used bin at PIAS tonight I happened on a Evolution HPP Spirit for $5! brand new, 172g, feels great in the hand.

Does anyone throw these? There were a couple old threads, but nothing specific. I'm going to try it out for thumbers, just curious if anyone else has one in the bag or any experience throwing them.

It's the most overstable disc I've ever thrown. It's also the longest thumber disc I've thrown. But I found it really uncomfortable in a backhand grip, less versatile for normal drives, and my Preds go nearly as far on an OH shot so I never bagged them.

Never thrown a Spirit, but I love Gateway's HPP plastic if you get it in the right color. Their dark blue plastic is nice and gummy, and I have a scout in that plastic that I absolutely loved for driving.

It's the most overstable disc I've ever thrown. It's also the longest thumber disc I've thrown. But I found it really uncomfortable in a backhand grip, less versatile for normal drives, and my Preds go nearly as far on an OH shot so I never bagged them.

you just made my night! I see what you mean about the backhand grip, we'll see. it feels natural for thumbers, I'm pumped to throw it.

I had an Evo one last season. Shallow rim, FLX-like floppy grip, and crazy overstable. It was practically unthrowable for a week, but then it started breaking into a really workable OS with more glide than my Nuke OS. It began warping after a few trees, so I kicked it out of the bag. Part of it was because everything else I throw has a deeper grip and I wanted to keep the grips similar. The other part was it wasn't as tough as my Nuke OS or XCal. Still, not a bad disc.

I'm not sure about that specific plastic/run, but as others have said it's a fast, very overstable driver that breaks in really well. If you don't find a use for it as-is, try tuning it. You can make a crazy 'S' flight disc if you tune it enough.

The flat ones are almost useless unless you have 450+ ft of power. The ones with dome actually manage to stay in the air, but are still quite overstable.

Latest posts