• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Wizard

"With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know."
I've never understood that. If there was LSD on my sleeve, the only one licking it would be me. :|

So I pulled out the first Wizards I ever ordered to putt with...a pair of black SSS and man they are still great. Probably 6-7 years old at this point.

I love my old wizards. I still occasionally throw my OG proto as well as an 06(?) Am nats stamped one. Both ars beadless at this point and clovered well

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I've started driving/approaching with my SS and SB Wizards, and really like how that's working. For those of you who drive with Wizards, do you use premium plastic ones, or suregrip? Ir the latter, how do you cycle between your driving and putting Wizards? If the former, how do the premium plastic Wizards compare with suregrip? And are they consistent between runs?

I've started driving/approaching with my SS and SB Wizards, and really like how that's working. For those of you who drive with Wizards, do you use premium plastic ones, or suregrip? Ir the latter, how do you cycle between your driving and putting Wizards? If the former, how do the premium plastic Wizards compare with suregrip? And are they consistent between runs?

Buy 10 Erasers.
Buy 10 Organics.
Buy 10 Softs
Buy 10 Super Softs.
Buy 1 (one) Diamond.

Cycle daily.

My putting Wizards usually are just old driving Wizards. They are all some sort of S plastic.

I stay away from premium Wizards. The Sure Grip holds up pretty well, and if you get a batch of them it can take years to cycle through, especially if you bookend with something like a Rhyno/Zone/etc. The Wizard absolutely crushes at cycling, so imo base plastic is a must. If you're serious, buy a box of 10 and get to work.
My putting putters are completely separate, and usually less stiff than my drivers because I have a bit of spin, but ymmv.

The consensus is some variety of shur grip. Theres a lot of talk about which blends on here. I have a few Evos that I like, but they are not much or any more OS than my other wizards and they seem more sensitive to oat.

I have no real method to my Wizard madness. I throw pretty much all some variety of Suregrip, but that's a pretty wide range from firm to SS and including a ton of similar variations like chalky, eraser, organic, etc. I have never clicked with any premium plastic Wizard. I generally go for the flatter, lower-shoulder varieties to keep it consistent.

I have pretty much kept the same two as my main "putters" for years. Typically for throwers I've got something fresh, and something pretty beat.

Typically my fresh thrower holds its spot until it starts to show some turn, then it gets relegated to the backyard practice putting pile. At some point in the distant future it may re-emerge as an understable thrower.

Yup I am similar but I prefer high shoulder for throwing and low for putting.

Pure whites are a favorite but I love some SB, Swirlys, Firms and Erasers

Yup I am similar but I prefer high shoulder for throwing and low for putting.

Pure whites are a favorite but I love some SB, Swirlys, Firms and Erasers

I forgot about PW, which is funny because my main stable thrower right now is a relatively fresh PW.

The firm Nikko reds are still my favorite all-time throwers out of the box, but they break in quite a bit faster than the PW's.

I forgot about PW, which is funny because my main stable thrower right now is a relatively fresh PW.

The firm Nikko reds are still my favorite all-time throwers out of the box, but they break in quite a bit faster than the PW's.

Gateway was making Firm/Hard again? I should have gotten one of those Nikko discs for my dad as a backup, his disc in the Hard is worn in to the point the disc is still OS at the end with
the dump Wizards are known for but the rest of the flight was US.

Gateway was making Firm/Hard again? I should have gotten one of those Nikko discs for my dad as a backup, his disc in the Hard is worn in to the point the disc is still OS at the end with

the dump Wizards are known for but the rest of the flight was US.
They dont have anything as firm as the old Firms anymore but they are close options. And yes they have brought back the medium and firm names for blends.

They dont have anything as firm as the old Firms anymore but they are close options. And yes they have brought back the medium and firm names for blends.

That is because I think the old firm would not pass inspection, or be right on the edge of not passing. Yeah those old Firm/Hard did break in fairly quickly as evidenced by my dads disc, the first putter he had. He later found other putters to work better as his main putter and the Wizard became one of his driving putters, the OS option.