• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Get out of Trouble Disc?

If you have no RHFH, the obvious advice which you didn't ask for is to start to develop one, which others have already mentioned.

In the meantime, consider heading out to the field with some of your most overstable discs and practicing a thumber - (not a tomahawk, but nothing wrong with that shot). The thumber pans left, and with enough air and angle ends up finishing right. The advantage here is that you can throw it freely when you would otherwise be blocked from a backhand by foliage, and it can act as a crutch when you have no backhand as a shot that ends to the right.

I like thin kinda fast discs for these shots, Insanity for US and Resistor for OS, always depends on the look/shot, etc. If its a really straight controlled out you need I grab an Alias. it really depends, but a thin understable disc may be what you're looking for. There are a LOT of options, a Lat64 Diamond is kinda nice or Vibram Onyx

Here are some get-out-of-jail shots I use, coming from someone who also has basically no FH.

Rollers - Of all kinds. Fast/hard to blast through or under some bushes, or big lofty touch rollers over trees or bushes that land going like 5 mph and quickly die. Both FH and BH.

Pancake - Idk what people call this, but I mean an OH shot where you hold the disc upside down. I made probably 12 birdies last year using this shot as a putt to get over bushes, but if you practice this shot, it is money for 50-100' up shots where you want to get over/around something, or slide under something

Grenade - Thrown like a RHBH shot, but hold the disc upside down. Amazing for dropping out of the sky and sticking; throw a hyzer for that. Sometimes I will do that in the woods also - it's kind of like a roller, you increase your chances slightly bc the disc is vertical for most of it's flight. Also super useful for 90 degree skip shots, or skipping out and under something.

I use all sorts of discs for all of these. I think every disc I bag has been used for an escape shot at some point.

I'd like to venture out and try another brand of disc if possible...maybe a disc from Prodigy. How would a PA1 or a M2 work in the get out of trouble spot? Is the 400G a firm, grippy, and durable plastic?

Thanks again for all the input!

TripleB

For a slower get out of trouble disc I use the Stego from Reptilian Disc Golf. But, right now it's not available so that's of little help. I've used it to get around some serious crap and I only throw LHBH, been a huge help.

Hopefully they get that molded back up again!

I'd like to venture out and try another brand of disc if possible...maybe a disc from Prodigy. How would a PA1 or a M2 work in the get out of trouble spot? Is the 400G a firm, grippy, and durable plastic?

TripleB

Trouble spots vary per person and situation, another brand or disc is not the answer. Hence the range of discs recommended on this thread - from slow neutral putters to very OS drivers.

Agree with those who support learning the technique instead of getting a new disc. Forehand rollers and overhand shots are my go-to's when I'm scrambling.

TripleB

Not really out of trouble discs. those are like workhorse style discs. In the spot where you can't get much runup or arm followthrough a fast/thin/undertable disc works well (for me anyway)

SO MUCH depends though, on the look, shot, etc, your style/skill. But I would say a Plasma Insanity is really nice at those as its super thin and fast and understable, doesn't need much oompff to get out - the Diamond by Lat64 is lightweight and can be finessed easily. Same with Onyx by Vibram. idk, from what I'm thinking for the TYPE of disc I would say one of those would be good.

As many people have said, the discs themselves aren't nearly as important as learning to execute the "get out of trouble" sort of shots. Personally, the discs I end up reaching for most often to get out of trouble are:

Dagger (my putting putter): For short forehand straight or anny shots, usually either running the basket or pitching back to the fairway.
Pig: Reach-out forehands, forehand rollers, or overhand shots.
Firebird: Same as Pig only for longer lines when my stance enables me to generate some power.
Polecat: Straight or anny backhands where my stance doesn't allow me to generate power such as "patent pending" or no reachback situations.

Discraft Z Flick is a great out of trouble disc as its fast, uniquely OS and super thin. It helps to avoid the branches and such, thin headstrong disc DOES help. learning the types of throws is more important, but id really think a lightweight US fairway driver is a unique out of trouble disc, but overall its just practice. With limited movement the lighter weights make a full flight easier - do a lil research and practice, I still suggest a thin US driver and thin OS driver and just get comfy with getting creative. It's my favorite part of the game, though it stink to HAVE TO make those shots haha

TripleB

400 and 400g are good plastics. I like the M3 and M4; haven't tried the M2.

I generally use 4 types of shots to get out trouble depending on where I've got the most room.

open low to the right : stretched out RHFH with a mid (stability depends on direction I need after getting around the immediate obstacle)
open high to the right : stretched back RHBH spike hyzer with a mid (stability depends on how much I want it to come back left but usually a wasp)
open low to the left : stretched out back heel RHBH with a mid (stability depends)
open high to the left : back heel turn with an US mid (generally a very light DX shark)

Occasionally I'll try a roller but I struggle with getting the release angle correct so it's last ditch option.

I never throw overhead shots. I'm too old and my shoulder won't take it. I'm sure it's a form issue but it hurts so much I don't even want to practice it to improve.

There are a LOT of options, a Lat64 Diamond is kinda nice or Vibram Onyx

Would discs such as the Valkyrie or Jade (I think they are -2/2 instead of -3/1) in the 150s work as well? Only reason I ask is because at one time I was considering these two disc as a step up in stability from my Sidewinders. Figured if something like those would work for my get out of trouble disc then I could kill two birds with one stone :D

400 and 400g are good plastics. I like the M3 and M4; haven't tried the M2.

I appreciate the info on the 400 plastics. I think I've decided not to look at the PA1 or the M2 for my get out of trouble disc, but am seriously looking at giving the M2 a shot as my OS Mid...to replace my now straight flying Roc.

Thanks for the input!

TripleB

ps: thought I had already posted a reply exactly like this one but it never showed up...sorry if it double posts!

Lots of discs can work...if you have developed and practiced the shots. If you want to improve your game, the time spent agonizing over discs would be better spent practicing a basic FH throw and the "patent pending" throw, since it sounds like you don't have either at the moment. Here are a couple more videos for you in addition to the earlier one.

You really have two bags as a disc golfer. One is the actual bag of discs you carry. The other is the "bag" of shots you can execute (BH, FH, OH, rollers, etc.) Right now your first bag is filling up while your second bag only has one disc in it.

Once again... Any disc is a get out of trouble disc if you have a plethora of different throws you can use.
Is a valk? Yes.
Is a jade? Yes.
Is a Polecat? Yes.
Is a firebird? Yes.

Would discs such as the Valkyrie or Jade (I think they are -2/2 instead of -3/1) in the 150s work as well? Only reason I ask is because at one time I was considering these two disc as a step up in stability from my Sidewinders. Figured if something like those would work for my get out of trouble disc then I could kill two birds with one stone :D

I appreciate the info on the 400 plastics. I think I've decided not to look at the PA1 or the M2 for my get out of trouble disc, but am seriously looking at giving the M2 a shot as my OS Mid...to replace my now straight flying Roc.

Thanks for the input!

TripleB

ps: thought I had already posted a reply exactly like this one but it never showed up...sorry if it double posts!

Absolutely . It is always important to have the right kind of disc, but in trouble spots its more about manipulating the flight.
I love trouble shots, you get to be creative - I think my best attribute as a golfer, I can throw nice straight tunnel shots and my out of trouble shots are usually decent so I rarely get bogies, I may not slay a course but im pretty consistent. Practice as much as you can if you really want to get good at it. But who goes to a course to crawl in the bushes and practice tomahawks :D

Once again... Any disc is a get out of trouble disc if you have a plethora of different throws you can use.
Is a valk? Yes.
Is a jade? Yes.
Is a Polecat? Yes.
Is a firebird? Yes.

Yeah but in my experience any lighter version of your go to mold(s) can be great when stuck in a jail spot with bad footing or limited reach back. I messed with a 114g upshot for some super finesse out of the woods stuff as well as a 134g tesla and 150 ion. All worked better for accurate and longer throws when REALLY in trouble.

That tesla would just fly like normal but only needed a simple flick of the wrist and boom! Same with tbh ion. It is still an ion but you can focus on control vs power.

The same thing can be achieved with US molds but I prefer to keep the same molds if possible.

I agree with your comment Aims... I was trying to convey that there is no magical disc that will get you out of jail, but good form and technique is the key.
I think 3xB should be asking questions like, what type of throws are better options when you can't take your regular shot. Or... What type of disc should i consider... Not what exact disc is going to save me.
My .02.

Champ Roc3 is my go to. It's a freakin tank and can blast through small twigs. It's good as a FH roller too. Very controllable. If I have more room to throw, I love the control I have with my Sexton Firebird.