• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting Discs "Up To Speed"

Is "getting discs up to speed" real?

• Total voters
yes. it is real in the sense that all discs have a power requirement to make them achieve their desired flights, but i would not say that all speed x discs require the same amount of power to achieve said flights.

this whole issue has been muddied by the creation of high speed understable discs, which essentially circumvent the "speed x" rating. i believe disc speed ratings are a function of how well the disc translates your snap/spin into its flight speed/flight decay compared to other discs as well as its speed CEILING. how fast it CAN go. not necessarily how fast you need to throw it.

i think stability/flight pattern is more an indicator of power requirement, but chances are if you're throwing a speed 13 disc even if it is understable and not reaching the target length for said disc, you really aren't getting it "up to speed."

it's really not a simple topic.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what would be the proper cruising speed for say a boss or destroyer? And does that required speed decrease over the life of the disc?

Hopefully Climo saying in his in the bag video that he doesn't have the arm to really throw the more overstable destroyers will get that point out there a little more.

Snap isn't just spin, it's spin and speed, both of which are necessary for proper disc flight.

Have you thrown one of those new Destroyers?? Theyre ridiculously overstable... All the previous star Destroyers ive tried i can get to fly straight (sometimes with a slight left tracking turn) and they end with a nice fade. The new ones are as overstable as the flat glow firebird i just bought, it fades so hard it lands on its edge and bounces instead of landing flat and skipping.

Easiest thing you can do is look at the Innova flight characteristics and see how they fly at high speeds and low speeds, turn for high, fade for low. Just shows you right there.

AFter that try to launch a high speed driver that you can drive far with your right arm and throw it with your left. Its hilarious when even after training my left arm for months I still cant get my 13 speeds up to speed and just hook when I can bomb them with my right hand with both having proper form for the most part. Just not enough snap and power from my left yet, it looks ugly with my left as they just have the low speed fade thru the entire flight.

poll result speaks for itself.

Can anyone tell me what would be the proper cruising speed for say a boss or destroyer? And does that required speed decrease over the life of the disc?

You gotta give it to Vibram over Innova for how they explain their #'s :thmbup:

Probably upwards of 50MPH. How did I arrive at that # you ask?

Vibram's flight guide has the Lace at recommended 50MPH.
The Destroyer's a tick slower with bit more stability, so I'd say you wanna be greater than 50MPH to get the "most" out of a Destroyer.

Last edited:
A disc has a given cruising speed and if it's not reached it will not fly as it's intended to. It's as simple as that. Obviously there are other variables that can affect the flight, but discs have to come up to speed to fly properly.

Last edited:
Thank you, but it happened in more than one thread :D

Haha then why the super lopsided poll i wonder? People just hate to be wrong.... On a different note i guess if people like throwin 250' hyzers with their destroyers and 350' straight shots with their teebirds then i won't stop u but seems that makes. no sense to me

yes, and i dont know why its so hard to understand
i have friends that have been playing a lot longer than me, and i try to explain this to them and they look at me like i am nuts
they are thinking, if not saying, "you havent even been playing that long, you dont know more about my game than i do"
and i say or think "you dont need to have played for 20 years to know a nuke isnt needed when you can only throw275' "

There's truth to getting discs up to speed... it's not fiction.

That said, I can just get out beyond 300 ft on a good rip, and that's with discs like R-Pro Bosses and an Air Bolt. I can hit 275 or so with my Renegade and or an Archon.

I can't throw any mid or fairway driver close to 300 (Leo's, JLS, XS, XL), and in attempting to do so, I'm throwing so hard that my form is crap and I have next to no accuracy.
I'm around 240 - 260 with my fairways and about 215 - 230 with my mids.
Under 200 is Challenger turf, and from 200-220 I'll throw my Challenger or a mid depending on the situation.

Technically speaking, I'm not coming close to the distance potential of my discs, and on paper, I have no business throwing speed 11 or 13 discs (hell, I have no business throwing 9's or 10's for that matter).

But, I don't play on paper (or even on the intewebz). The fact is, I can definitely throw my distance drivers farther than my fairways, and my fairways farther than my mids. When I'm driving well, my long range drivers turn over (at least a little) before fading back, and that's thrown flat - not on a flex shot, or with any OAT/wrist-roll (I'm quite aware when I do that, sometimes painfully so :eek:).

At distances where I'm sorta in between long range and fairway drivers, I'm more likely to pull out a faster driver because they take less "oomph" to reach that distance, which results in a smoother, more controlled release, and a much greater likilhood of a decent look at a deuce.

I may not be throwing my molds as far as I "should" or as far as most people can, but at this point, I know my game and it's limitations, and that's what works for me. I suspect others have found stuff that defies "conventional" wisdom that works for them.

Let the ripping commence...
:popcorn:

Last edited:
^ Just to clarify: distances above are what I can throw comfortably with repeatable results.
I can throw each of them farther, but not comfortably or with much control.
I can't get much beyond 300 with anything unless I'm throwing downhill.

R-pro boss' arent real Boss' IMO... Plus all the Boss' ive thrown have been straight to understable with power. I dont really care what people throw anyways. People dont generally listen when I try to take their beloved crazy fast and overstable disc out of there hands and offer them a Leopard or Teebird. In most cases straight is Far (OMG)!

Let the ripping commence...
:popcorn:

anybody that rips on someone for scoring better is an idiot.

i think that there needs to be a clear distinction between people who know their limitations and use higher speeds in order to stay competitive/enjoy their round more and those who are stubbornly using them as a crutch despite being able to improve.

hi speed fallacy

You wont significantly improve by gripping and ripping hi speed stuff all the time. As an old guy the highest speed i throw is a nuke ss which is a cheating hi speed. The margin of error is definitely greater with this disc. I can throw my volt just about as far with more predictable results. Just my thoughts

Latest posts