• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting the wife to play...

Buy a lighter disc (150-160) and teach her to throw sidearm. Most people get some distance quicker throwing sidearm......Get her 2 of them the same disc (so when one goes in the water she doesn't have to learn something new on the fly) and just play with that disc until she gets the throwing motion down.
Yes
Also give her 5-6 different choices for stable distance drivers (valkyrie, wraith, XS, starfire, etc) and ask her which one feels the most comfortable in her hand. Then add a midrange and a putter to her bag.
No. Get a midrange first. Best choices are Cobra, Stingray, Storm or Impact , or something similar. Get them in her favorite color.

I would go with just the two of you for a while if she's super-competitive or really bothered by "looking bad" otherwise get a group of wives/girlfriends to go. That will make it more social and enjoyable, but she probably won't learn as much. :)
Also yes. And I like the suggestion someone else had about you not throwing at all, or just throwing goof-around shots so she's not frustrated by the distance you're getting that she's not. If your course has lots of trees, try letting her practice at the local ball field first, too.

I've tried everything I can think of to get my wife even to walk the course with me. I've bought her a custom dyed Tinkerbell disc (thanks Vettecrazy), I've given her my old starter set (150 class Leopard, Shark and Aviar), I've even tried to get a competition started between her brother and herself. Nothing seems to work, so I just take the stroller, the kids and go have fun myself.

I bought my girlfriend pink and yellow 135-145 sharks, a beast, leopard and a rubber putter(she thought it was cute). She would get real frustrated playing with me. So, her best friend's boyfriend plays. What we do is, take beer or vodka, me and him tee off. Then they wait to we are 3 holes or so into the round and then they tee off. They score and play much better that way. My girlfriend isn't so conscious of her throws around me as she is of thinking she is holding me up. And trust me I don't play fast or throw far, it's just in her head. So....we all go to the park, we all play, we all(but one) drink, we all have fun. No problems. Also, for any females that may be on here in the Charlotte, NC area...they have a women's league that plays every Monday night at Elon Park. It was created by women for women only.

Have fun!

My girl had same problem. To the point of frustration and unwillingness to keep trying. I kept knocking her down in weight classes but she never got it. Finally found a few 130 class ACEs-which are about as neutral flight pattern as you can find. They have enough glide that even if they don't go far that the hangtime to appear better. I got her used to the pro-style grip as well. She's getting 150' drives which is night and day better than the 30'ers before. She's since picked up 150 class Valk and JLS. She's still struggling but has gotten a taste enough to keep trying.

You could also try something I've done with my kids (wife has played a few times, and didn't mind it, but didn't catch the bug): get a Zephyr or other SuperClass disc and play along from the short tees with it. The weight, different flight characteristics, and unfamiliarity will go some way toward equalizing things and making your play less intimidating to her (unless of course you've been secretly working up your SuperClass game).

No. Get a midrange first. Best choices are Cobra, Stingray, Storm or Impact , or something similar. Get them in her favorite color.
The only reason I would disagree with this is because my wife started with a cobra and a leopard and was just so frustrated that she couldn't get them to fly very far. Then she switched to a Starfire and boom, she picked up maybe 80-100ft. It was such an "a-ha" moment for her that I figured you could save someone else the pain if you jumped straight to a distance driver. At the same time, I would pick a easier, straight disc though like I mentioned.

The only reason I would disagree with this is because my wife started with a cobra and a leopard and was just so frustrated that she couldn't get them to fly very far. Then she switched to a Starfire and boom, she picked up maybe 80-100ft. It was such an "a-ha" moment for her that I figured you could save someone else the pain if you jumped straight to a distance driver. At the same time, I would pick a easier, straight disc though like I mentioned.

The other counterpoint to that is that she learned the tenacity, and "snap" of trying to get the other discs farther first, which is the most important part. Then after she had the will to throw farther, the bigger disc let her.

Wow these are some really good ideas, I'm trying to get my girlfriend to go. She says she'll play with me, but she's really not interested in it.

My wife comes along with me when I play La Mirada even though she doesn't play at all. She feeds the ducks and then sits and reads until I'm done.

Well last weekend we were there checking out the "new" pro shop (now, sadly, devoted 95% to tennis) and she spots a bunch of minis sitting in a mini basket. She says, "What are these?" and as I explain, she starts flinging them at the basket. Pretty soon she's nailing them from 20 feet out and saying "This is fun! Can you play with these?" So there's hope!

And then (damn I love that gal) while I'm playing, she scores a 168 g tie-dye Surge SS for me for Father's Day. Gave it to me last night :D :D :D

There have been a lot of good suggestions on here. I think you and I's situation is similar. My GF doesn't really have any athletic background but I got her into disc golf and she loves it. Here's a couple of suggestions;
1 - Pick the right course. I highly recommend a course in Golden at Mines College. It is a very open, easy, short, boring course that is perfect to teach somebody to play at. It also doesn't get a lot of traffic so you and your wife can go out there and really mess around with it. It'll definately help her because you don't need much power to play.
2 - Find her discs she's comfortable with. My GF's favorites are her 2 Sidewinders (150 and 165), her 150 TeeRex, and her X Putt'r.
3 - be patient and encouraging. I don't know about teaching her to sidearm...I've known some women who are really good sidearmers and some others that just can't pick it up. I mostly throw sidearm, but I taught my GF to throw backhand and she's more comfortable. Also, sometimes it can be tough for your significant other to accept criticism, especially if you feel like you can help her on every shot...so if you can find another couple to play with where they can maybe split up the advice giving, it might help you out....if you're ever in the Denver area, I'm sure my GF and I would be happy to join you guys for a round!

One more thing...I asked my GF her favorite disc and I forgot that we just found her a 146 DX Beast that she absolutely loves. It gave her more distance and has helped her develop a nifty little backhand S-curve.