• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gimmick Holes

I don't know man...at Flyboy the runway hole was certainly a gimmick and a way to have the longest hole in the world but the relatively narrow fairway and OB made it challenging.

The current long hole is VERY challenging and requires more finese than pure power.

Still haven't played Moseley and when I do I will play one of the wussier layouts anyways so no comment there. :p

Is that the hole along the shore of the lake? 17 or something,right?

Because that hole is a bitch.

Go play moseley though,the front 9 is some of the best golf in Georgia,and it has a couple cool ones on the back,not a fan of the back to back throw your arm out with a mando par 5's though.

Is that the hole along the shore of the lake? 17 or something,right?

The par 5 around the lake is (or at least was last time I played there) hole 15. That hole is tough! One of my favorite holes in disc golf.

The runway hole used to be hole 18 but I know the course has gone through changes and I'm pretty sure this one is no longer in play (maybe for tourneys?).

A 1600 foot fairway on a runway is a gimmick. The 1600 footer out at White Oak, over rolling hills and field, is just a beast(I've gotten the par 5 a couple times). The 1076 at Mosley isn't a gimmick, but the almost 2000 from the platinum tees on the same hole is. Thus, the 4 sets of tees.
Like I said, you can't really complain that the Hippodrome is gimmicky when the adjacent course is such a technical beauty.
What about tonal poles and wind chime baskets? Where do those fall?

I wasn't even thinking about 15, I was thinking about the anthill hole, 7.

I have a hard time accepting that a couple hills remove gimmicks. If hole a 1600' is a gimmick due to length then so is hole b and c.

Your argument that it is because it was on a runway is invalid too, what if it was on a hunting road exactly as wide as a runway and had trees on either side at the same location as the runway lights? Is that a gimmick?

It was on a runway because there happened to be a runway there and it tied the course together. Now when you finish 18 you walk for a 1/4 mile.

Hole 7 is a good hole. Depends on how well my round is going whether I play for distance or pure accuracy off the tee.

Since when are there 1600 foot holes at White Oak and Moseley? Guess I need to get back out there and check them out.

I happened to stumble across this thread, and thought I'd give you guys some insight into "The Runway Hole" at Flyboy. It has always been one of my favorites, and gimmicky or not, it's one of the most fun and talked about holes on the course. As it turns out, putting disc golfers on an active aircraft runway wasn't the best idea I've ever had, and now as a result, the Runway Hole is no more. At any rate, to address your questions and comments:

Although the Runway Hole is no longer in the layout, I do still play it occasionally for fun, and it is featured as a "bonus" hole in the upcoming Clash DVD release pitting Climo/Feldberg against Phil Arthur/Double G. For those of you who've never seen or played it, the hole is 1600 feet long and exactly 90 feet wide between the yellow runway lights, down a manicured Bermuda grass runway, not out in an open field. I designed the hole to be the ultimate mental challenge, and as #18 in the flow, it came right when your mental and physical stamina for the round was starting to waver.

Standing on the tee looking up the runway, the basket, in front of my hangar, can barely be seen...about the size of a gnat. Most folks have never seen a basket that far down a fairway before, and here begins the mental struggle, as something about that particular visual creates an urge to frigg'n kill it and try to go long. The 90 foot wide fairway seems plenty wide if I rip it, right? Wrong, usually. Turns out, accuracy is WAY more important than distance on this hole, and I've seen this proven many times as the quote, "big arms" lose several OB strokes to the guys who know to back off and keep it in the runway fairway.

The mental conflict continues as the hole progresses, especially as players try to make up for OB strokes by trying to go long yet again, often digging their hole even deeper, sometimes resulting in a double-digit score! It was not uncommon to see a card swap 3 or 4 strokes between players on this one hole. The focus required to execute 4 or 5 consecutive accurate drives is difficult to maintain, either due to complacency after getting it right 2 or 3 times in a row, or due to distractions or sheer mental exhaustion. I tended to blow the hole quite often with an unfocused up shot, and missed putt, after managing to make five good drives. Of course, this discussion mostly describes the average disc golfer's experience on the hole...Climo once threw a roller on his 4th shot which rolled OB almost it's entire run, only to return in bounds at the end and curl around the basket for a drop-in 5 (par is 7)...but that's Climo.

I used to enjoy observing different players (especially those a little bit cocky about their big arms) attack the Runway Hole for the first time, get their hinnies handed to them trying to bomb it, and then play with them again at a later time and observe them swallow their pride with a much more conservative, accurate approach. The learning curve is very steep on this hole, and hey, if it teaches you something worth learning, that makes it a pretty good hole in my book.

Kelly

Attachments

• ADGO FALL EVENT 09 133.jpg
    ADGO FALL EVENT 09 133.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 33
The par 5 around the lake is (or at least was last time I played there) hole 15. That hole is tough! One of my favorite holes in disc golf.

The runway hole used to be hole 18 but I know the course has gone through changes and I'm pretty sure this one is no longer in play (maybe for tourneys?).

Don't get me wrong,I love the hole....

I've just lost a couple soldiers on it :(

Great insight Kelly. It's nice to hear your opinion! I agree with almost everything you said about this hole. The only difference being it was my least favorite hole on the course. I never thought it was fun (because I was always approaching with dread lol). I do agree that it is a tough hole mentally. Maybe the reason I could never get used to it is that it is so different than anything else I've ever played. All that aside I can see why it is such a talking point and attracted attention for the course.

One thing I loved about it was being on the runway. I grew up with a love of planes (my dad was a pilot) and it was always exciting to grab your disc and run off the fairway while someone landed or took off a few feet away.

While I know you're reading I'll take the time to say thank you again for all your hard work making this disc golf destination a possibility. Holes 3 and 15 are some of the best holes I've ever played and there are many others that are only the start of making this the best place to play disc golf. This thread is the closest I've ever come to saying anything bad about the course.

The Pachinko hole (#17 Sunnyside) at Blockhouse (Grange) fits the description. Many folks hate it, I like pain. :D

Latest posts