• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip EQ A-Series Large Tour Bag

Rather than ask about storage, just buy the Golf Mahal. Better construction and storage will never be an issue. Spend the extra $8 or whatever it is.

unless you carry less than 25 discs during a tourney this bag is useless

I feel like there are a couple of bridges out there who are missing their keepers, or is the toll automated now?

I freaking love my L-series grip, and the A series look sick.

I have scrawny skinny shoulders, if i was built like a linebacker i would have already bought a Voodoo Spinal Tap. The Golf Mahal looks silly and also looks uncomfortable, (I think the Voodoo could be more comfortable) it will but a lot of weight distributed to my lower back which is the problem i hope to remedy with a backpack bag. I think i will still get a grip A, i just want some reassurance that the storage for your accessories and maybe a jacket is sufficient.

Need to get back on topic....but......in regards to the Mahal.

How can something "look uncomfortable." The bag was designed by a discgolfer using technology desigend by a company that is owned by a world renowned hiking expert. The bag comes in 3 sizes depending on height, features an adjustable yoking system to add additional sizing ability, has a lumbar support bridge, and 3/4" thick vented padded straps. It is by far the most comfortable pack I have ever worn. You can call it ugly, that's fair, but uncomfortable, that's just an incorrect statement by someone who has never worn one.

Back on topic, I checked out a guys new A series Grip. I can't see a significant difference in it and the L series. I'm assuming the added bulk increased storage capacity as it's considerably larger.

Need to get back on topic....but......in regards to the Mahal.

How can something "look uncomfortable." The bag was designed by a discgolfer using technology desigend by a company that is owned by a world renowned hiking expert. The bag comes in 3 sizes depending on height, features an adjustable yoking system to add additional sizing ability, has a lumbar support bridge, and 3/4" thick vented padded straps. It is by far the most comfortable pack I have ever worn. You can call it ugly, that's fair, but uncomfortable, that's just an incorrect statement by someone who has never worn one.

Back on topic, I checked out a guys new A series Grip. I can't see a significant difference in it and the L series. I'm assuming the added bulk increased storage capacity as it's considerably larger.

I wouldn't say considerably larger. The a series is taller but doesn't seem more bulky. The side pockets don't look bigger. They are though. I was able to put a xxl medium weight hoodie in the side of the a series. Wouldn't fit in my first run L.

I'm an engineer, by the design of the bag it "looks" like it would put a lot of torque on your lower back, this is achieved by putting the bulk of the weight at your lower back and having it stick out further from your back. When gravity is pushing on the bag, it makes your back lean backwards like a lever with your lower back being the pivot point (because the upper back is being pulled by the straps). If you have a back pack that has weight evenly distributed and all across your back, your back does not act like a lever (no unnecessary bending forces) and you will be more comfortable.

Padding can help this kind of thing but when it gets down to it I see this as a design flaw. One that makes the Mahal a product not worth my money.

But hey the world don't go to the beat of just one drum.

Now back on topic...

Last edited:
The only additional depth that a mahal has that grip doesn't is the putter pocket. Otherwise, both are designed to hold discs in the same orientation, thereby limiting the size.
The only other way to bring the weight closer to the body (which, I agree, will reduce the forces) is to turn the discs so they store parallel to your back. Then you end up with an issue of having to have multiple tiers so you don't stack too far out and end up with the same problem. This means you have to place half the weight at the top, which would make for a bag that's hard to stand up alone (which DGs are very keen on). Also it would be a pain to access the bottom tier-back discs...

Also, if you're really an engineer, you're treating the body as a static anchored object. But its a complicated system, and there's more support and durability at the hips, than the shoulders. The issue is, as we're taking it off and putting it on over and over and over, a waist strap becomes a hassle.

So for a DGer's particular needs...a proper backpack is hard to design.

just thought I would share

I love my new grip A

however....

I would find myself often leaving the vertical side storage pockets unzipped
(I guess I couldnt see the zippers were down)

so today i just added a small piece of red nylon air line to the zipper pulls
it made them stand out and easier to see what position they are in
plus it gives the bag a little razzle-dazzle

Attachments

• zipper pulls.jpg
    zipper pulls.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 141
I've been lucky enough to have had a chance to try the majority of the new backpack style bags (Mahal, Prodiscus, Ergo, Voodoo, 1st Grip, Revo). In doing so, one plus was that I could see what they all have or lack. Every one has their own idea of what makes a good bag for them. Mahal: best made bag out there, but is lacking in the design dept. Ergo: Compact and a great idea in how to place the discs, but needs some improvement in the complete design (storage) of the bag. Voodoo: Grip on roids, but a few design hicups. Prodiscus: Sound design overall, but NO Cordura. NO likey! Revo: Wow, just a poor design all the way around.
Grip: When I bought the 1st bag. I said it would be perfect if I could just fit a few more discs. So now I can fit 26. Tight fit, but it works! I really tried to pick this bag apart, but after trying all these others. It had the oppisite effect. I realized just how well it was designed the 1st time around. I can carry all my discs, it carries all I need for storage, and it's pretty well built. The only thing that pissed me off. Was that it didn't shave 10 strokes off my game like the rumor mill stated. So I still suck at disc golf, but now I look good doing it :) Oh and my back isn't screaming in pain after a few rounds as well.
For ME this is still the king of the hill, but as I stated....FOR ME!

Note: have not tried PF's or HB's bags

How people carry a disc in the flap?
Today I started putting my Saint in there, which works great
Because I use it the most of the time It made easy to get to,
also it didn't interfere with getttig other discs in and out of the bag
I tried putting my Fury in there also but two discs seemed a lttle tight, but I am sure it would strech out a little.

Anyone receive an email from DGPTV regarding their free lifetime membership? I haven't.

Anyone receive an email from DGPTV regarding their free lifetime membership? I haven't.

This is what i got yesterday from them...

"Hello GRIP EQ Customers,

We are pleased that you have opted to become DGPtv Lifetime Members, as made possible with our affiliation partnership with GRIP EQ.

Many of you have been asking about your memberships, which is understandable. Please know that we were on the road for all but about 5 days in June, but we are now back in the office and working diligently to get your memberships processed and mailed out this week! Nearly 200 of you have opted into the DGPtv Lifetime Membership, so it will take a little work to get these cards printed and packages shipped. But please know we are working on it now.

For a look at our most up-to-date Membership List, you can go to:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/okqtaljc0hj7k03/DGP_MembershipList_08July2013.pdf

Thanks again and your membership packages will be mailed out shortly.

All the best,
John Duesler, Principal
DGPtv"

Last edited:
so what do i need to do to get my membership? Sign up on Gripeq's website and then what?

Anyone have any experience with the Blue/Grey and how dirty it gets/how easily dirt shows up? It's between that and the black for me.

Latest posts