• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Half year in, How to keep active in winter???

Stop lying you suck at skiing.

I don't know, have you searched his videos? There's some pretty legit stuff, for example:

skifree2_2503.png

Last edited:
I play in the cold mornings. Was 35 degrees a couple weeks ago in Santa Cruz, CA when I started a round at Delaveaga. Wear layers, once you get moving, you can peel them off. People do play in Tahoe year round, and in the snow sometimes, so it isn't like it is impossible :)

Otherwise, you could also get a practice target, put it in your back yard, or I use my garage, and practice putting. You can vary the way you practice, but to warm up you could putt a whole bunch in a row and develop muscle memory. At some point, you probably want to stop between each putt and reset, to simulate a real round. Also, you want to practice easy putts, 15-20 feet, until you get to be 90+% at those distances, and then start to creep out further. You want to build confidence that you can make putts.

Last edited:
It's 38 here today. And wet. I just threw two rounds in a sweatshirt and warmup pants.

Suck it up, Nancy.

You really won't need to throw with gloves on. When it gets cool (20s, 30s F.), I keep a glove on my off hand, but usually don't need one on my throwing hand. When it is colder than that, I wear a glove or mitten on my throwing hand between throws, but take it off for the actual throw. Once you get moving on the course, you'll usually build up enough heat to be comfortable. If you find your hand is still to cold, get a HotHands hand warmer and keep it in your pocket. HotHands last for several hours and are a great way to stay comfortable between throws. If you dress in two or three light layers you should be able to stay warm in whatever your part of Cali throws at you.

No. But a nice mitt is good for when not throwing.

Like a football QB. Keep hand in while moving use off hand to pickup and clean snow etc and let out the hot baby ready to rip.

I might try the cold, I just assumed it was not the done thing! Can you throw with gloves on?

Some folks do - personally I do not, I wear gloves/mittens, sometimes I use a zippo handwarmer, but usually I don't need it. When it's time to throw, I only take my hand out of my mitten to grip and throw the disc, then straight back into the pocket/mitten/glove/with handwarmer. Works for me, I've been out there at -30F before.

Somewhere on these forums I wrote the 10 rules for discing in the winter, I'll see if I can find them, or if someone else remembers they can post a link.

It's 38 here today. And wet. I just threw two rounds in a sweatshirt and warmup pants.

Suck it up, Nancy.

38 is shorts weather -- how's that midrange form going? ;)

A polar fleece shirt and long johns are great for really cold weather, they keep you dry which is the key to staying warm.

No. But a nice mitt is good for when not throwing.

Like a football QB. Keep hand in while moving use off hand to pickup and clean snow etc and let out the hot baby ready to rip.

Football means something different to the Scot.

I wear fingerless wool gloves on the coldest day. Same ones I wear to flyfish in 0 degree temperatures. But mostly we just see constant soul sucking rain up here. Get a jacket, maybe an umbrella, and a few towels. Then get out there and frolf, mate.

You say you're getting old. I'm 62 disc golf years young. In Western NY there is no off season for me. Played in the rain this morning, about 50 degrees. Piece of cake.

Seriously though there are some miracle fabrics out there to keep you warm and dry with minimal weight. NO gloves! At least on the throwing hand. Get some handwarmers and put one or two in your pocket. Wool or polyblend socks are a must.

My question is more or less as the title suggests, although I am in California it is too cold to go when I am off work (6am-8am) and too dark to go when I finish work so what suggestions do you have for keeping active at winter?

Ok, first you need a girl, preferably a limber one, then you need this indoor swing, I think they have them on Amazon, wait, is your ceiling load bearing ?

Yeah you'll be fine. LED's or glow discs if it's dark. Gore Tex and an umbrella if it's raining. I play more in the winter than I do in the summer. And if it gets so cold that you need a glove? Wear one on your non-throwing hand and keep your throwing hand in your pocket. That's what I do, and it gets colder and wetter here than it does where you are. Not Midwest cold, mind you, but still around or below freezing. Get out and play!

I suffer from Raynaud's syndrome, so my hands will go from "pins and needles/burning" to "who the hell shot my hand up with novacaine?" when they are exposed to cold. Because of this, gloves are important. For my first round, the glove stays on my throwing hand until it is time for me to throw. Then, it goes right back on. Once my crappy circulation gets going, usually after a fast-paced round, I can take the gloves off and be fine. I don't know if I could play winter rounds without a good pair of gloves. I have some old school Levels that have the gimmicky mouth vent that you can blow your breath into, to heat your glove up. These are crucial. The point here is, if I can deal with the elements and be alright, anyone should be able to. To quote my old man, "Grow a pair, you Sally!"

Scotti,

You kinna throw w'out the long johns 'neath your kilt. Keep a haggis in your pocket to keep your hand warm.

Rain is the main problem mate, for a state in a drought we are getting a hecka lotta rain!

Noob question, do discs come like that or is it an add on?

Not that high mate (too many jokes I know)

Basket might be the way forward!

It's an add on. If you go to www.extremeglow.com you can get a pack of 2 for less than $2. I don't recommend the mulit phase one as they are not as bright. White is the bightest but cost .12 more per pack. Blue is almost as bright.

Don't forget, a beer coozie in winter is for keeping your hand warm not your beer cold.

I suffer from Raynaud's syndrome, so my hands will go from "pins and needles/burning" to "who the hell shot my hand up with novacaine?" when they are exposed to cold. Because of this, gloves are important. For my first round, the glove stays on my throwing hand until it is time for me to throw. Then, it goes right back on. Once my crappy circulation gets going, usually after a fast-paced round, I can take the gloves off and be fine. I don't know if I could play winter rounds without a good pair of gloves. I have some old school Levels that have the gimmicky mouth vent that you can blow your breath into, to heat your glove up. These are crucial. The point here is, if I can deal with the elements and be alright, anyone should be able to. To quote my old man, "Grow a pair, you Sally!"

Have you ever tried these 4400mAh EnergyFlux hand warmers? They have great reviews and double as a USB charger for digital devices, and only $32.50.

http://www.amazon.com/EnergyFlux-4400mAh-Rechargeable-Double-Sided-External/dp/B00Q7PZXS6