• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Half year in, How to keep active in winter???

ScottishDiscman

Birdie Member
My question is more or less as the title suggests, although I am in California it is too cold to go when I am off work (6am-8am) and too dark to go when I finish work so what suggestions do you have for keeping active at winter?

My question is more or less as the title suggests, although I am in California it is too cold to go when I am off work (6am-8am) and too dark to go when I finish work so what suggestions do you have for keeping active at winter?

What's too cold for people in California, below 80F :p ? As for dark, seethrough plastic (VIP, Champion, etc.) + LEDs = all night long DG (hell, there are local tourneys here that are held in the late evening/at night purely for LED throwing).

Don't know which part of Cal you live in, but what are we talking temp wise? 40? 50? 60? I played winter league in -8 once. Man up.

Exeter CA -- average December and January highs of 58 degrees? Average lows of 35 degrees? Get out there and frolf, brau.

Sigh.....silly Californians. When the temp drops below zero here, it is time to hit the gym. A couple of the machines can be used to specifically address strength excercises for disc golf, and general fitness/weight loss always helps my game. Get a basket for the yard and work on putting for the winter.

First of all I am laughing so hard at some of these comments!

Take up woodworking.

Only if I am making a wooden Golf Cart!

Practice your putting.

Have we played? Thats a valid point though!

No such thing as too cold or too dark.. Keep on discing!

Getting old and having come from Scotland I am not a fan of the cold, this global warming is colder than I thought it would be! Maybe I could disc in gloves?

What's too cold for people in California, below 80F :p ? As for dark, seethrough plastic (VIP, Champion, etc.) + LEDs = all night long DG (hell, there are local tourneys here that are held in the late evening/at night purely for LED throwing).

Still too much of a noob to do night tourneys! I can lose plastic in broad daylight!

Don't know which part of Cal you live in, but what are we talking temp wise? 40? 50? 60? I played winter league in -8 once. Man up.

40-60 I would guess (I am a centigrade man so Farenheight confuses me!)

Exeter CA -- average December and January highs of 58 degrees? Average lows of 35 degrees? Get out there and frolf, brau.

Thanks for the encouragement, I took my lead from my DG mentor who gave up last month for the winter but I miss it!

I, for one, have a pair.

Love it! I don't throw pink discs, does that count?

Sigh.....silly Californians. When the temp drops below zero here, it is time to hit the gym. A couple of the machines can be used to specifically address strength excercises for disc golf, and general fitness/weight loss always helps my game. Get a basket for the yard and work on putting for the winter.

Gym sounds like an option, I am a little flabby!

Loosen the straps on your bag so your arms fit through with a couple extra layers and play on. Try the LED's. Glow is almost more fun than day golf.

Glow Golf

You say you lose disc during the day. But if you put a flashing light on it (LED) you can spot those babies from hundreds of feet away. It is easier to find a flashing disc at night than during the day if your throw get off the fairway.

I have a basket in my basement for winter putting. Hang a sleeping bag about 2 feet from a wall and put the basket in front of that so the missed putts don't damage wall or disc.

Pink discs are easy to find.

Loosen the straps on your bag so your arms fit through with a couple extra layers and play on. Try the LED's. Glow is almost more fun than day golf.

Rain is the main problem mate, for a state in a drought we are getting a hecka lotta rain!

You say you lose disc during the day. But if you put a flashing light on it (LED) you can spot those babies from hundreds of feet away. It is easier to find a flashing disc at night than during the day if your throw get off the fairway.

Noob question, do discs come like that or is it an add on?

Snowshoes through the Sequoias!

Not that high mate (too many jokes I know)

I have a basket in my basement for winter putting. Hang a sleeping bag about 2 feet from a wall and put the basket in front of that so the missed putts don't damage wall or disc.

Pink discs are easy to find.

Basket might be the way forward!

Rain?!?
Those of us north of you see some rain (23rd straight day today, totalling 14 plus inches), and some cold. But we get out there and frolf, brau.
Joking aside, put on a jacket, maybe get an umbrella, and go throw. There is only one season -- disc golf season.
And basement putting is a good way to stay sane and sharp.

I live in Wisconsin. I play leagues & tourneys during winter. I've even done winter glow leagues in the past...you live in Cali. I practice my putting in my backyard 15-30 minutes every day, even when it's snowing. I have a different bag setup just for the winter months. I switch up the plastics of my discs, not the molds (Champion to Star, KC Pro to JK Pro/DX). If I don't there's a good chance of cracking my discs. I've cracked KC Rocs/KC Aviars in the past. My JKs firm up nicely when it's cold out. That way they're more like my KCs. In short, I agree with the "man up" comments.. If you wanna get/stay good at anything you've gotta stay dedicated. For me, there is no off season.

I lived in CA for 4 years. I usually skied 50-80 days/year.

Latest posts