• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hardest hole you have played

Hole.... 9 I think, at the Kodiak course of Woodland Valley in Limerick, ME. Their two older courses are fantastic, but the pro course is stupid hard and not in a good way. The hole in question is a par 5 and starts off with a 600ft straightish fairway with impenetrable woods on either side. It starts off about 35ft wide, then narrows to about 15ft - 20ft wide and heads downhill. At the bottom of the hill is a 120 degree turn to the left on a very tight corner, then another 300ft of hilly, heavily wooded fairway. Best I've ever seen anyone shoot on it is a 6.

(A little self promotion / self pity here)

Disc Side of Heaven Championship Course #18 Par 5: 999' from the Gold Tees. 930' from Blue and 880' from White. I designed the hole, I know every nuance on the hole, I know how to attack the hole... the best score I have ever recorded on it is a Bogey 6. Very challenging / demanding hole to finish a very demanding round. (What the heck was I thinking?!?)

I have played this hole twice, walking away with a 7 both times. I'll attest to it being an extremely tough hole. I can't think of any other hole I have ever played like that. It is definitely among if not the toughest hole I have played.

Double dogleg left (big wide U shape). Played as-

-350 feet across a valley.
-Turn hard right.
-300 feet through a tunnel.
-Turn hard right.
-350 feet down a tunnel.

Dang. I saw the thread title and Blue Valley #9 instantly popped in my head. This pretty much sums it the hole up, save for severity of the elevation changes.

It's tough to walk, much less play.

Oh, and the last shot is blind downhill to the pin which is on a downslope, behind some trees or both, with a steep falloff to a runoff stream behind. Just what you need for a pick me up at the end of that epicness.

Ya know what's not in there? That whole mess of brush and trees in the valley! I RHFH'd my champ Viking and didn't quite make it past that mess. I hunted for over half an hour until it got too dark to see down in there, and all I found was an unmarked Groove. :doh: Came back a day or two later with my wife, and still didn't find it. Someone eventually found it and called me, so I got it back. (Thanks, again, for getting that back to me!) :D

Also, I almost hate to call the first tunnel a tunnel, since if you didn't land far enough up the first hill you have to go up and around the trees if you want a chance at one shot to the next landing zone...

LOL And talking about it makes me want to get over there again soon. I wonder what the weather is gonna be like Wednesday afternoon??? :)

Last edited:
Dang. I saw the thread title and Blue Valley #9 instantly popped in my head. This pretty much sums it the hole up, save for severity of the elevation changes.

It's tough to walk, much less play.

Oh, and the last shot is blind downhill to the pin which is on a downslope, behind some trees or both, with a steep falloff to a runoff stream behind. Just what you need for a pick me up at the end of that epicness.

Ya know what's not in there? That whole mess of brush and trees in the valley! I RHFH'd my champ Viking and didn't quite make it past that mess. I hunted for over half an hour until it got too dark to see down in there, and all I found was an unmarked Groove. :doh: Came back a day or two later with my wife, and still didn't find it. Someone eventually found it and called me, so I got it back. (Thanks, again, for getting that back to me!) :D

Also, I almost hate to call the first tunnel a tunnel, since if you didn't land far enough up the first hill you have to go up and around the trees if you want a chance at one shot to the next landing zone...

LOL And talking about it makes me want to get over there again soon. I wonder what the weather is gonna be like Wednesday afternoon??? :)

Believe it or not, I got a 3 on #9 at BV last year in Wide Open practice. Threw 2 perfect shots to be sitting at the top of the ridge going into the last tunnel. Canned it with an Aviar from like 300 feet.

Me and Nikko Locastro are probably on a very very short list of people to 3 that bitch.

EDIT: If you recall, Nikko got a 3 on it at last year's Wide Open by throwing a huge sky anhyzer over all of the trees and into the fairway for #11. Essentially cheated the design of the hole, although obeyed the first mando somehow. I'm told there will be another mando further up the initial fairway to prevent this.

Last edited:
IDGC - Jim Warner Hole 15. Par 5. Was the only hole I was ever glad to get a snowman. Giant S curve uphill in tight woods.

Been thinking about this one:

Hornet's Nest--Web Layout # 3. The (seems like) extra wide strip of OB @ the creek crossing mid-fairway makes this tough if you don't nut the tee shot. I generally don't make it all the way down through the last gap, and am always tempted to try to turn the corner and get past the OB on the 2nd shot...which seldom ends pretty.

Honestly, if things start to death spiral there, you can just treat it like algebra, and say the hardest hole ever is Web #x.

Last edited:
Although I've played it probably over 100 times, Hole #8 @ Basil-Marella - 500+ feet through one of, if not the, tightest wooded "fairways" I've ever played. Damn near impossible to consistently card a 3 on the hole, and I'm almost certain it's only been deuced a few times ever.

Indian Hills DGC in Carson City, Nevada:

Hole #13 - Tee pad is about 500+ feet from basket placement (on the side of a hill, which leads down another 300-400 feet). Wind is constant at 15-20 MPH, headwind at that.

It was the worst hole I have ever played, but I was able to throw a miracle par shot into the wind that dropped in from about 55 feet.

Hole 17 at iron hill 860ft par 5 through the woods. The hole snakes through the woods with a slight left, the straightening out and taking a slight right. The basket is placed atop a 20 foot mound that is tough to land on. The entire hole at its widest is about 18-20 feet and the hole plays a total of 65' uphill. The hole is also one of my favorites, because it is fair

I love hole 11 on the backside of La Mirada park.

325' par 3 with double mandies far right and close left, a low canopy tree dead center 30' in front of the basket, and asphalt OB either side of a 20' straight fairway.

A few options but a left to right skip shot off the sidewalk/street or a l-r anny over the tree with a very gentle drop are about the only two options for an ace.

Maybe not the most difficult hole I've played, but hole 16 at Stub Stewart is probably the hardest hole for me, personally. I don't recall ever getting a par on the hole, and I'm a pretty decent golfer.

I don't know the actual length, but I think it's around 430' or so, 20' hallway with slight bends the whole way. If you kick off the fairway, it's very difficult to make forward progress and get back into the fairway. If you kick off to the right, the ground slopes and the disc can sail for quite a while. It just plays really tough for me, and I don't ever get a decent tee shot off.

d71d14fa.jpg

It's probably not the hardest but it's my nemesis and I hate it.

Number 3 gold/gold at Oregon park. It's a 540(I think) par four. Starts out in a tight tunnel with no headroom two narrow channels with trees all around and some spotty copses all around the basket. Not to mention the first shot(and second if you don't nail your drive are blind.

It's also on a hill so if you catch a bad angle it can roll about 500 feet into a creek(has happened to me) I have parred it once. I birdied almost every other hole on that course in all four configurations but that one is a rough hole.

I'll throw Pyramids #13 out there. Long drive down a narrow fairway, and I don't think I've ever executed a clean drive. A kick to the left puts you down the hill where you need to decide if you try to get back on the fairway or go straight at the hole with some risky overhand shots. If you make it down the fairway, there is a hard dogleg to the basket across a valley with some rollaway possibilities. I kind of like that the eagle 3 is a possibility, but you're almost certainly making a mistake to even think birdie.

I can't argue with Lakeside #7, a Nevin hole or two, or one of several holes at Hummel. Those have all kicked my ass over the past couple months.

This hole costs me tons of strokes, and the same weight in plastic, but feels great when I master it:
Hole%2016D%20Tee%20View%20(2).jpg

The basket is that yellow speck in the upper left.

The play is across the water to the right shore, then (1) back across, if you think you can make it, or (2) further up the narrow shore, then across on the 3rd shot.

But the trick is, the road and beyond is O.B., so it's an island shot on the drive, and a hopscotch double-water-crossing. Go O.B. on the drive, O.B. from the drop zone, and suddenly a double-digit score seems possible.

I don't know if I can single out one hole, but the following come to mind:
Nevin #5
Toboggan #2
Hudson Mills Monster #14 (you'd think I'd have figured that one out by now, but it always kills me)
Probably a few at Handyman Ace Hardware... that course violated me as it annihilated me.

Latest posts