• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hardest hole you have played

Many hard holes!

Idlewild 6, 14, and 18.
Mt. Airy 5
Charlie Vettiner 18
Trace Gold 7 (Gold set up at Trace State Park, MS. 1041 feet, 3 shots over water.)

I'm sure I'll think of some more later!

Hole 17 at iron hill 860ft par 5 through the woods. The hole snakes through the woods with a slight left, the straightening out and taking a slight right. The basket is placed atop a 20 foot mound that is tough to land on. The entire hole at its widest is about 18-20 feet and the hole plays a total of 65' uphill. The hole is also one of my favorites, because it is fair

I was about to post this.

Moraine #14 is a nasty bunch of WTF

Personally I think 14 is reasonable, though definitely tough. It's all about hitting that hyzer line off the tee to set up the second shot. I find 16 and 6 to be more brutal than 14.

Originally Posted by namar View Post
Hole 4, long pin, at Camden II. Nasty downhill teeshot over a deceptively deep ravine, if you don't carry it to the landing zone you're boned. A shot from anywhere in the landing zone requires not only ridiculous line shaping but also near full power (for most) to end up anywhere near the pin. Top it off with a nice rollaway-encouraging green.

The stupid hyzer hole? The one where there's no gap, but everyone just throws a hyzer and deuces it?

There are no such holes at Camden II. You must be thinking of another course.

A deuce on 4 long would be a double eagle or albatross.

Iron Hill has some awesome holes. Hole 8 is up there in my books. Tough quirky but reasonable fairway uphill, very 3-able, but also very double bogeyable.

sides are pretty unplayable, and the best lies are the center 5 feet of the fairway... oh yeah, good luck landing on a flat spot, think rock garden.

Iron Hill gets my vote as most demanding course. 17 is an amazing par 5. 5 too.

Iron Hill has some awesome holes. Hole 8 is up there in my books. Tough quirky but reasonable fairway uphill, very 3-able, but also very double bogeyable.

sides are pretty unplayable, and the best lies are the center 5 feet of the fairway... oh yeah, good luck landing on a flat spot, think rock garden.

Iron Hill gets my vote as most demanding course. 17 is an amazing par 5. 5 too.

That #8 has gotten me so many times. It is my nemesis.

I hate that I missed last weekend's event. I don't think that will happen again.

Hard to pick just one - So here's a few that have given me some grief(Some have already been mentioned).
Idlewild #6 & #18 - Reasons already well stated by others!
Holler in the Hills #3 - Took a 5 & a 6 there in the May tourney.
OB line the entire way on the left and a creek on the right. Trees right off the tee affect your shot selection and a narrow gap in the tree wall to line up on or attempt to clear. Trees thicken and the fairway narrows the closer you get to the basket.
Armco Blue #4 - 750+ from Blue Tee to long placement
Fairway slopes to the right the first 350'+ with a Mando tree on the left to avoid along with numerous trees! At about 350 it turns hard left up the hill with trees to avoid and a road the entire length of the hole on the left that is OB. Basket sets back a little from the crest of the hill under some mature trees.

Hard to pick just one - So here's a few that have given me some grief(Some have already been mentioned).
Idlewild #6 & #18 - Reasons already well stated by others!

I just got a 4 on hole 18 2 weeks ago. i was stoked. however hole 6 still gets me. I took a 6. i almost had a 5 but chained out. :doh::doh:

#7 Sakuna Pines, Black Forest, Colorado. 750 ft par 5 through a forest that this private resort refuses to cut even one tree. 500 feet through woods, then a wall of younger pines you have to tomahawk over, then about 250 feet uphill to a basket with a 15-20 foot drop off the back. I have made par once there, and it was the best feeling in the world.

Some of the holes at Addison Oaks are pretty hard. Water that I probably shouldn't try and cross, 30' wide fairways, 500' long, carved out of 5' tall grass etc.

Hole 18 at Harmony Bends in Columbia, Mo.
Hole 6 at Idlewild
Hole 8 at WR Jackson

Hole 18 at Harmony Bends in Columbia, Mo.
Hole 6 at Idlewild
Hole 8 at WR Jackson

Agreed on Idlewild 6: played doubles there with a 970 rated guy & we only managed a five. As a Rec to Int rated player myself, a five feels good, and a six (or even a seven) isn't going to lose much ground to your division. Tough hole!

ONE time, and one time only, I made three perfect throws up the twisting fairway, and had a 12' putt for a FOUR! Never felt so much pressure on a short dinker putt. When that went in, it felt almost as good as an ace.

First ones that come to mind are 9 and 18 at Rollin Ridge, black to black

14 longs at Stony Creek is pretty tough.

Agreed on Idlewild 6: played doubles there with a 970 rated guy & we only managed a five. As a Rec to Int rated player myself, a five feels good, and a six (or even a seven) isn't going to lose much ground to your division. Tough hole!

ONE time, and one time only, I made three perfect throws up the twisting fairway, and had a 12' putt for a FOUR! Never felt so much pressure on a short dinker putt. When that went in, it felt almost as good as an ace.

Birdie Idlewild #6, and you should sign the basket. :) It definitely fits the "bogey is a good score" description.

Once, I took a 9. I rather not talk about it, lol.

What is difficult?

I'm being serious. We have a general feel for it, but "difficult to do what?" To score low? That's very problematic. By that standard any wide open 1000 ft hole is difficult.

Or is difficult "to make the score that an expert for the skill level of the course would make"?

And that ties into "difficult for what skill level"? I submit that it is theoretically possible to design a Green level hole that is more difficult than a Gold level hole. That means a Green level hole that it is more difficult for an 800 rated Green level expert than a Gold level hole for a 1000 rated Gold player.

Ashe County Park, hole 11 Long (to Blue basket) is one of the most difficult holes for me to get a par 5 on. It is a true Blue level hole but at best I am a White level player. It is also the most unique hole in NC that I have played. I disliked it at first, but now it is my favorite hole on the course precisely because it so challenging!

The hole has a narrow fairway ending in the first wall of rhododendron bushes that you have to go over the top of, to a narrow tree lined landing zone blocked by a second wall of rhododendrons to go over the top of, to a fair but densely tree surrounded basket. If you ever go off the fairway there is usually only a short pitch back to your best landing zone for your next shot.

FWIW, with my skill level my perfect hole would be 1) drive in fairway, 2) thumber over the 1st wall of bushes, 3) thumber over 2nd wall of bushes, 4) make the birdie putt for 4. My best score so far is a 5 and that happens so rarely that I always feel elated when I get it.

a3ec83aa.jpg