• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hardest Hole You've Ever Played.

The Monster hole on the Monster course @ Hudson Mills. Only because of its length. Slightly over 1,000' from the blue tees and as I recall somewhere around 630' from the red tees. Take a 4 or a 5 and move on!

upper course at Sylmar for the Summertime open, its the big dogleg to the right by the fence line. I took a 10 on it. Its a par four. Terrible day.

Hole 10... (I guess depending on the year).
More people seemed to have trouble with number 17. (Island Hole).
DSCJNKY

hole 17 at iron hill. I assumed it was par 5 but it is listed on this site as a par 6. 860 feet through the woods. then an 'elevated' basket.

63eb8800.jpg

first time I played it I put down a snowman :) second time, a 6. which felt like a bogey. i don't know if it's really a par 6.

WOW !!! Did those steps exist prior to the course or were they built as part of the course? So cool!!!!

I just played Sontag last weekend. There are some brutal holes there. I had back to back 6's on my card on the long round.

Here is the hole info.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2523&mode=hi

My two 6's were on holes 12 & 13 from the blue tees.

I find it interesting that hole #4 is listed as a par 5 from all 3 tees. It was perhaps my best hole of the tournament. We played 2 rounds fron the whites. I got a three each time by making 60ft+ putts. On the red tee I also got a 3 and I had the opportunity for a 3 from the blue tee but I missed a 70ft putt and ended up with a 4. My playing partners were consistently carding 5's and 6's because the last 300+ feet was a slow turning left to right and backhand shots would fade out into some hard to navigate trees.

^^^^. Yes, I don't recall the exact holes, but after playing that course I remember feeling like a battered child. There was a couple brutal holes from the longs.

Iron Hill is also a tough one.

hole 17 at iron hill. I assumed it was par 5 but it is listed on this site as a par 6. 860 feet through the woods. then an 'elevated' basket.
first time I played it I put down a snowman :) second time, a 6. which felt like a bogey. i don't know if it's really a par 6.

Crickey that hole has every challenge their is, nice.

I know which one you're talking about. I was using that hole to describe what kind of course Jackson is to someone the other day. Would love to go get another crack at those courses.

Yes you were. I totally want to get down there to play IDGC sometime. My brother in law is in the military and stationed down there, hopefully he's still there this fall so we can visit him.

Not sure about the hardest hole in General but I think the Hardest hole I have played blind would have to be #5 at Nevin. It is a tight 656 hole with several turns along the way. If you don't play it smart I could see someone easily going into double digits on this one hole. First time I played it I took a 9 because I kept trying to have an amazing shot when all that I should have done was lay up. Once you play the hole and realize it is a 100% placement hole it gets a little easier. Here is the teebox. Basket is a left turn, then up a hill, then a right, then down a hill, then past an angry bear.

55b5251f.jpg

Back to the OP, 3 at DL is brutal. I take a 6 almost every time, and a 5 (par) is excellent for me. Since you're shooting downhill off the tee, it's hard to get a lot of distance without a fade at the end. When the pin is tucked up into the trees on the left, it practically puts on another stroke every time. Add to that the fact that it's often extremely muddy, and it's just a beast of a hole.

I'm sure for some more experienced players with excellent control it's not that bad, but I'm not quite there yet.

Deer Lakes 3 long to long is tough ...its funny most mention hole 14 as the beast

There are so many hard holes....hardest is impossible...I have many candidates

Stoney Hill hole #16, Diamond layout, stiff headwind. It's a water crossing to an island landing area.....then another water crossing to the green.

At the 2009 Stoney Hill Challenge, with heavy headwinds, guys were taking 12s and 14s and 15s and more. (Oddly, none of the Advanced women took more than a "6" until their tie-breaker. Some gibberish about playing smart, or something).

Drop zone rules have been altered since to soften it a bit, but it's still a potential round-killer.

I'd have to say hole 3 at Quakers challenge .935 ft. Par 6. I had 5 great shots finished by a 30 ft. putt and just squeaked by with a par.

thought u might mention Alexandria Hole 2...lol J/K

Quake has some toughies....I got lucky and took a 5 on that hole...problem with courses like quake is your perspective changes and what might stand out on other courses is just another tough hole

Every hole is difficult for me

thought u might mention Alexandria Hole 2...lol J/K

Quake has some toughies....I got lucky and took a 5 on that hole...problem with courses like quake is your perspective changes and what might stand out on other courses is just another tough hole

Every hole is difficult for me

Haha. Yeah I think that would fall under the "most hated hole".....what a disaster

I actually think a couple of holes at Renny are tougher than either of those at Nevin. 13 and 18 Gold come to mind.

Yeah - I would say 13 on Renny Gold is the hardest....."Cedar Hell". At 974' it is a shortish Par-5: 4 240' throws down an amply wide fairway and you are parked for your tap in 5 (or 3 320' throws for birdie). You just gotta stay on the fairway since the cedars lining almost the entire fairway will almost certainly cost a stroke or 2 if you land in or near them.

But.......it is just so dang easy to run up some high scores on that hole - especially with the prevailing breeze that is always swirling. The bends in the fairway, while not too pronounced, really make the landing zones critical to hit to set up for your next shot.......a masterfully designed hole.

Alex Clark hole 12. wide open under 200'. So difficult. You run at the ace and are sitting way long, you run at the two because you can't not get a 2 on this short hole, oops you are long again...

Harry Myers Hole 3 in DFW. 824 foot par 5 downhill uphill double dogleg into around and through the the woods. I've never seen another hole that compares to it. I was ecstatic to get a 6 in tournament.