• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hardest region for disc golf

Although most of the courses around here are pretty heavily wooded, maple isn't the best example of that. There's at least 5 or 6 holes on every layout with room to really air out a monster tee shot.
There are a couple courses around with more space than maple tho.
Buffimville dam is pretty wide open for most of the course.
Borderland has enough space to miss trees on most holes, plus some really epic scenery(they just filmed the new ghostbusters inside the mansion there) to keep your gf entertained if she loses interest in throwing plastic.
Pretty much everything else I've played south and east of Woostah has more trees than Maple.

Yeah we played tully, lost driver on the first hole in the lake. Havent taken her to buff yet, she might like it. She did enjoy Barre Falls but i mean her drives were only 150 feet so....that par 6 became a par 12 for her. I mainly play pyramids and Newton hill. Coggshall is just a death trap, that course made her want to quit.

not true, at least past the Hartford line (closer to NYC)! I'm a ma$$hole (born in boston and grew up in RI), and the CT drivers drive freaking fast here the 95 and merrit (you know typical new england 55mph but really going 70-80 in the middle and left lanes).

All my friends seem to get tickets from Mass cops (mass turnpike, ect).

I've only gotten one ticket ever in 17years of driving and it was in one of those obvious speed trap zones in the florida keys. I just drive wicked fast if everyone else in the lane is going fast.

you should do the CT and Westchester County NY courses (FDR and Kisco) then end at the Skylands area NY, NJ -Mighty Gaw, then best of the best Warwick.

Glad to know there is a fellow Ma$$hole! All my tickets have been within 5 miles of my house ......leading me to have to take drivers retraining $250 40hr course on a saturday...

Anyways I guess im willing to go to Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Rhode Island (especially on drill weekend for the Army thats where my unit is stationed) New York (not near the city though) Pennsylania possibly (8hrs on jersey turnpike last time i went to PN)

I have played sanctioned tournaments in the Southeast, Northeast and Midwest and noticed more "baggers" play down in the Southeast more than the other areas. E.g., Advanced Masters players in the NE and Midwest are typically rated between 820 and 910 while in the SE, Advanced Masters fields at tournaments are filled with 930 - 950 rated players who refuse to move up.

I'll never understand the "problem" that is playing your rating. There's a reason the PDGA sets those guidelines.

sounds like wickham is what you are looking for. actually it sounds like you all need more practice before going on roadtrips for disc golf. no offense, but why take an extensive drive anywhere just so your gf and friends can get frustrated and quit?

sounds like wickham is what you are looking for. actually it sounds like you all need more practice before going on roadtrips for disc golf. no offense, but why take an extensive drive anywhere just so your gf and friends can get frustrated and quit?

They all want to play open fields that if they mess up no biggie. I get pissed when i hit a tree thats 2 feet in front of me too but i can play utility shots from the woods, they cant. Additionally, its fun to go to new places. I do love my home course but it gets old after a while. Just like skate parks when i road bikes.

Thanks for understanding! My dad lives in CT maybe I'll take a trip down. Just to drive there with your damn staties. Can't go over 1mph without the helicopters giving you tickets
Been driving(and discing) all over New England for the past 8 years. If you keep the speed at 9 or less over the posted limit you will be fine.

Also pays to find a bait car(someone going 10+ over) and follow about 1/4 mile behind them. Sorry to the guy in the Honda CRV this past Sunday morning on the Berkshire Spur(I-90) :p

Been driving(and discing) all over New England for the past 8 years. If you keep the speed at 9 or less over the posted limit you will be fine.

Also pays to find a bait car(someone going 10+ over) and follow about 1/4 mile behind them. Sorry to the guy in the Honda CRV this past Sunday morning on the Berkshire Spur(I-90) :p

Haha I dont go over 5mph anymore. Also control road rage by dipping.

Weather in North Carolina is going to be in the 60's for the next couple of weeks (mostly). If you want fun mostly open but still challenging courses and want to travel to NC i would recommend Cedar Rock Park (2 courses- Cedar Rock long and open, Wellspring shorter and wooded) in Burlington, Patriot in Kernersville, Catawba Meadows in Morganton. Those are my favorite open courses around here.

I've only played in Southern California and in the Boston area and I can def say New England is a harder disc golf experience than SoCal (big surprise.) But the courses I've played in Boston (Maple Hill, Pyramids, Borderland, both Devens courses, Riverhead) have been universally excellent.

Just wanna road trip to a place that's not so difficult for my buddys.

Here are some recommendations for less wooded courses in New England.

Mass: Barre, Gordon Conwell, Pye Brook, Olin College.

CT: West Thompson, Wickham (very long), Strawberry Park.

Maine: Boom Field, Pleasant Hill, Sabattus (Hawk).

Good course design will add length, incorporate elevation, and present challenging greens where there is a lack of obstacles like trees. The short and open courses listed above (Gordon Conwell, Olin, Strawberry Park, Boom Field) are not rated highly for a reason.

I much prefer heavy woods rather than wide open because it keeps the sun and wind out.

What an easy question!

Wherever I play :)

Seriously, Monterey Bay area in Northern California has some tough courses: Delaveaga, Ryan Ranch, CSUMB, Pinto Lake, even Black Mouse isn't easy for such a short course, but thats all I really know well, so I can't compare to anywhere else ;)

If you are looking for fun courses that are not too hard, Florida has a bunch on open flat courses & not to mention an endless summer.

Charlotte from what I have played as far as natural course layout. Tournament layouts with alternate tee/basket placements and OB ropes may differ- come play Rennaisance and Nevin back to back, and remember to bring some lube.

Thanks guys. I really gatta make a list of courses now. Maybe 50 courses by summer my goal

From what I'm reading in this post, it sounds like you need to take your lady to a 9-hole course that's not going to be rated as high on here. The best courses are going to destroy someone who throws 150'. That's why niners exist. They're a better, more enjoyable introduction to the game. They won't rate as highly to serious players, but a rec player like her will have more fun. That's why the course that's 1/4 of a mile from my house is always crowded. It sucks for the rest of us unless we're working on approaches, but less serious players can enjoy it without feeling slaughtered by a Blue Lake or SeaTac style course.