• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Harrassing Texts from Disc Thieves

Status
Not open for further replies.

juju

Double Eagle Member
So our Twin Cities Disc Golf group has had numerous cases of disc thieves finding discs and instead of returning them they will call and text, taunting the owner that they are keeping the disc.

In many instances our group is able to track them down by their phone number and the community will send texts harassing the thief in return. We have even found their identity since these people have their number listed on facebook. In one case, the thief's identity was leaked on a 4chan style site and the members created fake Craigslist ad's and sent them NSFW photoshopped pictures from their FB account. Even their employer found out since someone ended up being a coworker. It only took a day for his number to be changed.

What would you if a thief sent you a taunting text/call?

I've had it happen. I was about 10 minutes away from Standing Rock in WI, and had just left a Pro Wraith behind after getting caught in a pretty heavy downpour (we were also on our way to Highbridge, so time was of the essence). Got the call, put it on bluetooth to my car stereo, and listened to what was nearly incomprehensible babble. Only after the call did my buddy and I look at each other and realize that somebody had just called to talk trash about finding my disc.

i would play the course during busy times and dial the number whenever im near another player. what happens from there depends.

i would play the course during busy times and dial the number whenever im near another player. what happens from there depends.
Haha, didn't even think about this but I like your style.

When people take the time to return discs, that's very very kind of them. Having said that, how about this can of worms:

These people aren't thieves. They're just tremendous jerks. The people who originally lost their discs left them for whoever might come along and claim them, and writing your name/number on something doesn't change that fact.

So, having said that, I would ignore it because I've never left a disc that I expected to get back.

When people take the time to return discs, that's very very kind of them. Having said that, how about this can of worms:

These people aren't thieves. They're just tremendous jerks. The people who originally lost their discs left them for whoever might come along and claim them, and writing your name/number on something doesn't change that fact.

So, having said that, I would ignore it because I've never left a disc that I expected to get back.

:thmbup: :thmbup:

I tend to agree with you that what they are doing isn't illegal, just very cruel. With that said, I still consider them thieves and think they deserve some justice. Does stooping to their low make us just as bad? Possibly, but I'd rather harass them enough where they think twice about it next time.

Never will get the social media vigilante justice thing. Somebody made a prank call and you gather your homeboys to deliver swift, faceless retribution in the same fashion, to teach the scufflaws a lesson. What is next, drive by shootings. It is a phone call from an adolescent (either in age or mentality). Get over yourself, have a quick laugh and write off the disc. (which you should have done upon losing it).

What is next, drive by shootings.

30550314f044d524962bfa95df8d92716d1b0fe65ee74f20c49e3cc5d086b972.jpg

I have a good job and a family to take care of. The value of a single disc represents such a small amount in comparison to my income and other things that the last thing I would do is commit a crime if I got such a call. In no event would I do what the OP and his clubmates do because that is criminal behavior in my jurisdiction (and probably in his too).

However, if the thief (and they are a thief if they take a disc that they know belongs to someone else) were to call me to harass me as described by the OP, I'd go visit my local law enforcement agency of choice and have the dumbass receive a call. In my area, I'd most likely also visit with the park officials and advise them of the situation. I'd bet even money that I could get the thief/dumbass banned from the park if he didn't return the disc along with an apology.

I'd probably also document the whole thing somewhere on the web, names and all.

I certainly didn't think of the person as a thief, just as an *******. If I was that worried about a piece of plastic, I would have searched longer.

Whoever found it, should be happy they found it, and if they want to keep it, then just keep it. No need to call and taunt.

However, if the thief (and they are a thief if they take a disc that they know belongs to someone else) were to call me to harass me as described by the OP, I'd go visit my local law enforcement agency of choice and have the dumbass receive a call. In my area, I'd most likely also visit with the park officials and advise them of the situation. I'd bet even money that I could get the thief/dumbass banned from the park if he didn't return the disc along with an apology.

I don't think your law enforcement agency would care one bit about your lost disc. They certainly wouldn't call someone on your behalf. Also doubting the park officials would do anything.

The police might be interested in the harassment you received, the disc not so much. Especially if it's ongoing.

Personally I'd laugh at them for being so pathetic in life.

*ring*
"Hello?"
"I have your disc! HAHAHAHA!"
"Sir, are you aware that you've dialed a murder victim's phone? I'm going to need your full name, address and will need you to vouch for your whereabouts last night between the hours of 10 and 12."

if you take something that is not your property, its theft. There is no such thing as "claimers keepers". The law is very clear and you are just wrong.

^Exactly, if I lose my wallet and have given up looking for it, the person who finds it is still legally obligated to turn it in or try and return it themselves. You are not forfeiting your property just because you have stopped looking for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts