• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Has Dynamic Discs peaked?

DD is probably not seeing the profit they were a couple of years ago

There's no way for us to know that and I really don't think that looking at what they do with their sponsored players gives us any indication one way or the other.

The landscape has dramatically changed in the last couple years. That can't be overstated. Paul's contract raised the bar incredibly high. Perhaps impossibly high for some companies to match, even if their profits are steady or increasing from year to year. If suddenly the going rate for the top players increases five or ten-fold, should companies blow up their sponsorship budgets to keep up or scale back how many players they sponsor in order to keep their top offers competitive?

DD had Paige poached from their rankings, and that's a blow. However, beyond Paige and that junior player that has a lot of potential, who have they lost? Some middle of the road MPO and FPO players? It's entirely possible that what those players wanted was more than DD felt they got from them in return. Is DD really going to be missing people like McBride, Castro, Gannon, Andyke, and Keegan from a business sense? It seems like some are getting stuck on the idea that you have to be pushing big names in order to be successful and it's impossible to be successful as a company otherwise. A lot of people may not like it, but DD has some of the most active and broad marketing in disc golf. They still have one of the biggest events of the year in the GBO. They've got World's coming their way in 2021.

Also, I think it's unfair to include Paul in this conversation. He's a unicorn in disc golf.

I mean PP was the only big name they had.

The rest of the team cuts were just middle of the road pros.

Seems like a smart business move to me.

In a world of Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers, DD are the Mets at best.

This is fun! We should do for all of the manufacturers. Here's mine;

Innova-Yankees
Discraft- Red Sox
Latitude 64- Blue Jays
DD- Royals
Westside- Mariners
MVP- Astros(before the scandal lol)
Prodigy- White Sox
Kastaplast- Rays
Gateway- A's

This is fun! We should do for all of the manufacturers. Here's mine;

Innova-Yankees
Discraft- Red Sox
Latitude 64- Blue Jays
DD- Royals
Westside- Mariners
MVP- Astros(before the scandal lol)
Prodigy- White Sox
Kastaplast- Rays
Gateway- A's

Lightning - Tigers

Meh, baseball allegories are overplayed. Why not use a metaphor that we can all relate to, like the periodic table?

I always thought Dynamic Discs was the Magnesium of disc golf companies.

Burns out hot and pretty fast?

I'm still waiting for the Miami Marlins comparison. Which manufacturer holds a fire sale every time they win something?

Just be careful not to hit your neon the shovel. If it gets cut, it could take a long time to helium.

Along similar lines -
https://udisc.com/blog/post/dynamic-discs-owner-talks-off-season-losses-gains

When we're creating media, we want our players to be the face and personality of that media as often as possible. A.J. Risley is a perfect example of this. A.J. is one of the most likable guys out there, and he certainly has a quirky personality. Because of that, we focus on ideas/promotions with him that highlight who he is and give him the freedom to be goofy and entertaining. Those sorts of things allow him to shine.

:sick:

It really depends what you are measuring.
Peak of their pro players being competitive?
Yes. They are headed downhill.
But,
I believe this is a great move for their business.
There is limited roi on pro players.
Over spending is burning money imo.
Especially in their market position.

There is limited roi on pro players.

I get your point, but for the sake of argument, you don't think people have bought a crap ton of discs over the years based solely off of the fact that someone like a McBeth, Wysoki, or Pierce throws a particular mold?

I have no factual statistics to back it up but I'd bet Discraft did a much larger volume of sale last year than they had in previous years.

The Latitude 64 van stopped by Picnic Island in Tampa one morning about two weeks ago when I was playing. They had a little crowd but it was easy to pick out Zack two fairways over wearing his white rimmed sunglasses.

Sometimes it's just best to let others comment, if they desire to do so.

Another bad weekend for DD..

Clemons and Oakley at 17th place, , Paige S 15th . . 54 throws behind Paige P!!

Latest posts