• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Has this ever happened?

Though not in a competitive scenario, I did have a similar experience.

Back in summer of 2008, I was playing a few rounds with my buddies. We were at Plymouth Creek on hole 6. I threw a forehand hyzer with my Star Firebird, which had "BEEF SUPREME" emblazoned across the top of the plate. With lightning bolts. Pretty distinctive disc. Puke green, red stamp, black Sharpie job. Anyways, I hear some yelling. I run to the apex of the hill. Apparently, someone picked up my tee shot and made a break for it. Down the old hole 1 fairway. I was not catching him. I was pissed. We finished the round anyways. We decide to go to Sunnyside Park since one of my buddies lives in the apartment by hole 5. We pull into the lot at hole 1. A group of three is playing the bonus hole, AKA hole 10, which is from the bleachers to the practice basket. And what do I see come around the pine trees? BEEF MUTHAF*CKIN SUPREME. I jumped out of my car, pounced on it, and rattled off a train of expletives that remains unrivaled to this day. The kid tried to say some BS like he bought it from somebody, but I was not hearing it. My disc was stolen no less than an hour ago. And I found it. I had my disc back. I have had many tee shots stolen, but that is the only one of mine that I have ever managed to get back. The two that really bother me are the lovingly worn Z Surge some jerk stole from me after a perfect drive on hole 15 old config at Acorn, and the barely broken in SP Hurricane some jerk stole from me after I crushed one on hole 7 at Central. Both of those were ace discs. Coincidentally, every time I have had a disc stolen, it has been on a blind shot, usually obscured by hills.

What are you talking about? I always write BEEF SUPREME on all of my Christmas discs, in Metallica font. I just assumed everyone did...

For the sake of inevitable thread drift, it doesn't matter how the tourney player ended up with the disc. Nor does it matter if the non-tourney-player is right or wrong.

If the group saw where the disc came to rest, you mark the approximate lie.

If the group didn't see it, I suspect you'd treat it as a lost disc. If a disc is lost, you rethrow with a penalty; if later discovered to have been moved by someone, you deduct 2 strokes. This would seem to be the closest rule, even though you know from the outset that it was removed.

If the aggrieved non-tournament player will tell you where the disc was, though, I suppose you could go with an approximate lie. But I think I'd throw a provisional.

Seems to be the point of the the thread, despite BD's apparent outrage at the drift he seemingly sought. :\

Agree with David here. Had a disc picked up by a child in a tournament. It was witnessed by the card. We agree to a spot to mark the disc and played on.

Seems to be the point of the the thread, despite BD's apparent outrage at the drift he seemingly sought. :\

Agree with David here. Had a disc picked up by a child in a tournament. It was witnessed by the card. We agree to a spot to mark the disc and played on.

Exactly. I've seen a disc stolen at a tournament, in plain view but too far away for the player to catch up with the thieves. We gave him an approximate lie.

My point was that the ownership and history of the disc have nothing to do with the rule that will apply.

And, besides, there are probably a few other threads where disc ownership can be debated.

Exactly. I've seen a disc stolen at a tournament, in plain view but too far away for the player to catch up with the thieves. We gave him an approximate lie.

My point was that the ownership and history of the disc have nothing to do with the rule that will apply.

And, besides, there are probably a few other threads where disc ownership can be debated.

But how would you approximate a lie if the disc is taken on a blind hole?

I'm really just angling for good stories about disc ownership arguments during tourneys. :popcorn:

For the owl business the crux is if the disc stopped moving before the owl grabbed it. If not, then ace.

We had a fox carry one of our LED discs around a few years back. We were looking at it wondering thats gotta be the strangest roll ever, until it could not be a roll by its own force anymore.

this is amazing

For the owl business the crux is if the disc stopped moving before the owl grabbed it. If not, then ace.

We had a fox carry one of our LED discs around a few years back. We were looking at it wondering thats gotta be the strangest roll ever, until it could not be a roll by its own force anymore.

Who's to say that the Owl swooping in and catching the disc in mid air made the hole in the flight plate. There is no way to see the disc as the result of the 360 degree 700'+ throw. It's way too far to see if the talon was what penetrated the flight plate or if the thrower was just throwing an illegal disc that got noticed due to the extra attention his throw received as a result of the immaculate reception.

Again, the disc did not stop moving it was in the air when it was redirected by the owl.:popcorn: (first use of popcorn ever...I think:D)

so it would be like skipping off a chipmunk youre saying?

in that case trained owls are the future of the sport.

I have an actual question that has nothing to do with this thread, but whatever. This thread reminded me of it. I was playing unsanctioned this weekend and a guy on my card made a nice long putt, probably 40ish. Once he let the disc go I started walking toward the basket becasue my disc was deep past the basket. Putt goes it, dude jumps up and down congratulating himself for a minute and I'm at the basket before he has even picked up his mini. I cleared the basket, walked to my lie and putted in with his disc. Everybody stopped and looked at me and the guys goes "did you just putt in with my disc? Is that legal?" I said "sure it's legal. It's a legal disc, right?" Nobody questioned me.

I have no idea if it was legal. It never even crossed my mind until the guy questioned it. I figure if you can buy a disc mid-round and use it, you can putt out with somebody else's disc.

Far as I know that's legal, but asking first might be preferred.

+1 for screwing with their heads though.

I'm really just angling for good stories about disc ownership arguments during tourneys. :popcorn:

You would approximate it approximately.

I went fishing today. Didn't catch the dog, which is a bonus.

I had a putt fall out of the BOTTOM of a damaged basket it a tournament. Had to drop in for an added stroke. Wedgies counted at that time.

Shouldn't this thread be in the "rules discussion" and that "we've improved" one be up here?:thmbup:

Keepin' it real, and oop :shoulderbump:

Though not in a competitive scenario, I did have a similar experience.

Back in summer of 2008, I was playing a few rounds with my buddies. We were at Plymouth Creek on hole 6. I threw a forehand hyzer with my Star Firebird, which had "BEEF SUPREME" emblazoned across the top of the plate. With lightning bolts. Pretty distinctive disc. Puke green, red stamp, black Sharpie job. Anyways, I hear some yelling. I run to the apex of the hill. Apparently, someone picked up my tee shot and made a break for it. Down the old hole 1 fairway. I was not catching him. I was pissed. We finished the round anyways. We decide to go to Sunnyside Park since one of my buddies lives in the apartment by hole 5. We pull into the lot at hole 1. A group of three is playing the bonus hole, AKA hole 10, which is from the bleachers to the practice basket. And what do I see come around the pine trees? BEEF MUTHAF*CKIN SUPREME. I jumped out of my car, pounced on it, and rattled off a train of expletives that remains unrivaled to this day. The kid tried to say some BS like he bought it from somebody, but I was not hearing it. My disc was stolen no less than an hour ago. And I found it. I had my disc back. I have had many tee shots stolen, but that is the only one of mine that I have ever managed to get back. The two that really bother me are the lovingly worn Z Surge some jerk stole from me after a perfect drive on hole 15 old config at Acorn, and the barely broken in SP Hurricane some jerk stole from me after I crushed one on hole 7 at Central. Both of those were ace discs. Coincidentally, every time I have had a disc stolen, it has been on a blind shot, usually obscured by hills.

What are you talking about? I always write BEEF SUPREME on all of my Christmas discs, in Metallica font. I just assumed everyone did...

It was actually closer to the Iron Maiden font than anything hahahahaha.

I actually write "BEEF MUTHAF*CKIN SUPREME" on mine. Wait, does that mean...?

The closest rule, as far as I can see, is the lost disc rule.

You'd rethrow, without a penalty because the you know the disc had been removed.

I have an actual question that has nothing to do with this thread, but whatever. This thread reminded me of it. I was playing unsanctioned this weekend and a guy on my card made a nice long putt, probably 40ish. Once he let the disc go I started walking toward the basket becasue my disc was deep past the basket. Putt goes it, dude jumps up and down congratulating himself for a minute and I'm at the basket before he has even picked up his mini. I cleared the basket, walked to my lie and putted in with his disc. Everybody stopped and looked at me and the guys goes "did you just putt in with my disc? Is that legal?" I said "sure it's legal. It's a legal disc, right?" Nobody questioned me.

I have no idea if it was legal. It never even crossed my mind until the guy questioned it. I figure if you can buy a disc mid-round and use it, you can putt out with somebody else's disc.

100% legal. The rules only state that discs used in play must be uniquely marked. They say nothing about only throwing discs with your unique mark.

nothing to add but love the avatar Bro D!
tumblr_nzxqjeNR9c1qmig5yo2_540.gif

It sounds like it became and illegal disc to me according to 801.02D if it wasn't subsequently approved by the TD.:rolleyes:

"A disc that is questioned by another player or an official is illegal unless it is subsequently approved by the Director."

Edit: I think your question fits perfectly into the context of this thread

Last edited:
If you lost a disc, its no longer your property. Anyone who finds it isn't necessarily obliged to call you either.

If you lost the disc and didn't bother to take the time to find it, give it up and move on.

If you lost a disc, its no longer your property. Anyone who finds it isn't necessarily obliged to call you either.

If you lost the disc and didn't bother to take the time to find it, give it up and move on.

Lol, do you live under a bridge?

Also, have you ever lost your wallet or car keys before?

It sounds like it became and illegal disc to me according to 801.02D if it wasn't subsequently approved by the TD.:rolleyes:

"A disc that is questioned by another player or an official is illegal unless it is subsequently approved by the Director."

Edit: I think your question fits perfectly into the context of this thread

So, since the other players asked about his own disc, he can't use it again, until the TD makes a ruling???

He wasn't actually questioning the legality of the disc. He was questioning the legality of the throw.

I'm going to question the legality of every disc in everyone's bag on my card in the next tourney, when we are as far away from the TD as possible.