• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hazards

Status
Not open for further replies.
baskets? are you sure you don't mean just a 13" hole in the ground?

The more I look at this and Steve West's par talk, the more I see the need for a harder basket. Currently errorless play should result in a very high % of birdies. With a smaller basket or a chainless one, errorless play would result in a lower % of birdies and as such the whole par talk thread section could be filed away to the dustbins.

The more I look at this and Steve West's par talk, the more I see the need for a harder basket. Currently errorless play should result in a very high % of birdies. With a smaller basket or a chainless one, errorless play would result in a lower % of birdies and as such the whole par talk thread section could be filed away to the dustbins.

Yeah but we also need course designers not to create wide open 600 foot holes too. At least a little challenge in putting would help for sure though.

I'd vote for a chainless basket with no pole. That would change putting completely. A smaller basket would do little if anything to change the current styles of putting.

I'd vote for a chainless basket with no pole. That would change putting completely. A smaller basket would do little if anything to change the current styles of putting.

I think the bottom of the basket needs two openings big enough for discs to fall thru. Gotta make sure not to land it there.

If you want to make putting actually difficult that would do it and it's a reasonable idea as well. No flying by 30 feet only to have another easy putt (for the top pro). Now if you land within 10 feet instead of 30 it would matter a lot.

You would have to come in with the right speed and descending angle. Touch would be very important rather then laser beams that if missing the chains now go 30 feet by.

The downsides is that most pro's would have to change their putt and relearn for the new design. Most aces and long throw in's would not go in so some of the enjoyment of making and watching those shots go away.

However on the plus side when you do ace it would be much more spectacular. A 30 foot putt would be actually exciting to watch and go in versus they are suppose to make it.

You could do away with any artificial "OB" or "Hazards" and raised baskets as well as these gimmicks wouldn't be necessary to challenge players anymore. Par's would fall in line as well, which this thread is about. A 900 foot Par 5 now could actually be a Par 5 with a difficult catching device like no chains or pole.

I would want the no-chains, no-pole basket to be very deep. No bouncing off the bottom and back out.

If only there were someplace to get a lot of baskets like this to test.

Attachments

• BestBasket.png
    BestBasket.png
    120.9 KB · Views: 83
I would want the no-chains, no-pole basket to be very deep. No bouncing off the bottom and back out.

I was thinking it would have to be deeper for sure. Not sure about 3 feet or whatever. Maybe angled in like this /__\ on the sides. Once it's in it would be extremely difficult to come out by bouncing. Maybe lined on the bottom with an impact absorbing material.

:hfive: With that kind of change, ALL of my discs would make it into the basket... permanently. :doh::)

:hfive: With that kind of change, ALL of my discs would make it into the basket... permanently. :doh::)

It would have to be reasonably large though,not the size of those trash bins. Maybe about the size of the current cage? Just minus the chains and pole.

It would take some time getting use too for sure. Par would be a good score all of a sudden. Touch on upshots would be vital as well as putting.

OMG can you even imagine trying to have those as targets for disc golf in a PARK?? They would be filled with all sorts of trash instantly. Non DG'ers would be like, "what's with all the new garbage cans all over the park now? Oh well, looks like a good spot for me to dump little Jonnies dirty diaper into."

On the bright side, OMD would be happy with it.

OMG can you even imagine trying to have those as targets for disc golf in a PARK?? They would be filled with all sorts of trash instantly. Non DG'ers would be like, "what's with all the new garbage cans all over the park now? Oh well, looks like a good spot for me to dump little Jonnies dirty diaper into."

On the bright side, OMD would be happy with it.

You could simply label "Disc golf target" on it or "Not a trash can" and it's not like I don't find trash on top of or in disc baskets now. lol

A more interesting way to do this would be to simply add a basket tray on top of existing baskets. Pros have to hole out into the top bucket and ams can hole out in either. Add an upside-down cone for some deflection help.

Attachments

• Tray on top.jpg
    Tray on top.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 19
A more interesting way to do this would be to simply add a basket tray on top of existing baskets. Pros have to hole out into the top bucket and ams can hole out in either. Add an upside-down cone for some deflection help.

Please do this on a DGPT event. The social media backlash would be epic. Pros already whine about poorly catching baskets as it is so this would awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.