• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Heading to Charlotte North Carolina

Some course called Creekside in Indian Trails. I knew going in that it was super short and "easy".

Apparently if you don't play much woods golf even little courses for children and the elderly will hand you your lunch.

Oh, well. Hoping for nicer weather in the next several days so I can hit Bradford, Hornets Nest, and a few other decent courses. I don't have a formula but +2 at Creekside probably easily translates to double digits above par somewhere else.

Some course called Creekside in Indian Trails. I knew going in that it was super short and "easy".

Apparently if you don't play much woods golf even little courses for children and the elderly will hand you your lunch.

Oh, well. Hoping for nicer weather in the next several days so I can hit Bradford, Hornets Nest, and a few other decent courses. I don't have a formula but +2 at Creekside probably easily translates to double digits above par somewhere else.

The key is always to sacrifice distance for accuracy. Take #17 at Hornets Nest, a 520 foot, uphill, par 4 from the short tees. Throw 250, 225, then lag putt from 45 feet for your par 4. It's not sexy, but it's the way to navigate our courses most efficiently. It's also my secret strategy when playing 200+ holes in two days.

The key is always to sacrifice distance for accuracy.

Sounds like a solid way to play. I'll definitely keep that in mind when I hit up the longer courses.

I'm happy to play safe and take pars and any birdie look is a bonus to help offset the inevitable bogey.

I won't have setting any course records but if I have a round I'm happy with I'll share my score and you locals can tell me how good or bad I did.

The key is always to sacrifice distance for accuracy. Take #17 at Hornets Nest, a 520 foot, uphill, par 4 from the short tees. Throw 250, 225, then lag putt from 45 feet for your par 4. It's not sexy, but it's the way to navigate our courses most efficiently. It's also my secret strategy when playing 200+ holes in two days.
This was hard for me to incorporate because I do not play that way here in La. If I ever go back, I will play much differently than I did.

This was hard for me to incorporate because I do not play that way here in La. If I ever go back, I will play much differently than I did.

If you keep it in the fairway, most of the courses around here are very manageable. The 'downside' is that playing slow and steady, par after par can be boring. However, it beats the alternative of smacking a tree and ending up 75 deep in the woods and struggling just to get back to the fairway.

Ok. Played Bradford this morning from the short tees.

Driving and navigating the fairways actually went pretty well. Putting, not so much. Missed pretty easy birdie putts on #1 and #3 and on #16. Whacked first available trying to get out of the huge gap on #18 and still had a putt for four that I doinked off the band.

Ended up finishing +5 with one birdie (#13), four bogies and a double bogey.

This was the first course I played here where I got to throw my fairway drivers. Struggled with my Hatchet which I know cost me a couple of strokes. I still haven't figured out how much hyzer it likes yet down here. May just leave it in the bag the rest of the trip unless I want to intentionally lay down a roller.

Charlotte disc golf. I've thrown probably 300 shots and I think 295 of them were mids or putters. Maybe I'll get to unleash the fairway drivers at Hornets Nest?

Have you been to Renny yet?

If the craving really gets to you, cruise across the border to Winthrop, sans ropes, and chunk those drivers over and over for a few hours.

Have you been to Renny yet?

If the craving really gets to you, cruise across the border to Winthrop, sans ropes, and chunk those drivers over and over for a few hours.

Was going to try Winthrop today. Was navigating to the course and the way it was sending me had some metal gates closed blocking my route and I couldn't figure out where I was supposed to go.

Renny wasn't on my list. I'm playing with my wife so I'm limited to one course (or maybe two smaller courses) a day. Going to have to skip some good courses this trip and take what I can get. She's already getting pretty tired and we're hitting Hornets Nest tomorrow. Not sure she'll have enough gas in the tank to play another big course on Friday and we leave on Saturday.

If we do manage to get a decent round in on Friday I'm leaning towards Reedy Creek mostly because I think it's one of the oldest courses in the area?

I understand. I only mentioned Renny in terms of a chance to air out some drivers -- it's got more of a mix of open and woods, than many Charlotte courses.

I've only played about half the courses there -- and some of those, a long time ago. Reedy Creek is indeed one of the oldest there -- back in the late 90s, it was one of two courses in Charlotte (Kilbourne being the other), not counting Winthrop Lakefront (the short course).

Funny thing about the two mids that I brought with me.

One of them is working beautifully off the tee. I don't think I've hit two trees with it. Even when I have a bad throw it magically misses everything and gets a full flight.

The other one is a tree magnet. I think I've thrown one shot with it that hasn't hit a tree. It was brand new and unthrown when I arrived in Charlotte and it's already looking like I've had it in my bag for years.

Latest posts