• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Headphones in tournament play

Should players be allowed to wear earbuds while playing?

• Yes

Votes: 103 69.1%
  • No

Votes: 46 30.9%

• Total voters
I'm trying to think of another governed sport that allows headphones during sanctioned tournament or match play, and I can't.

Interestingly enough, there's another reason for banning headphones during play, according to the United States Golf Association (keeper of the rules):

The Rules of Golf: Rule 14-3
Wearing Headphones or Earplugs During Stipulated Round

The use of headphones or earplugs to eliminate noise or other distractions is prohibited under Rule 14-3.

Decision 14-3/16 covers listening to music or some other broadcast during a round. Here is the text of that Decision:

Rule 14-3a states that a player may not use any artificial device or unusual equipment that "might assist him making a stroke or in his play." Listening to music or a broadcast while making a stroke or for a prolonged period might assist the player in his play, for example, by eliminating distractions or promoting a good tempo. Therefore, the use of an artificial device to listen to music or a broadcast, whether or not through headphones, while making a stroke or for a prolonged period of time during a stipulated round is a breach of Rule 14-3. However, it would not be a breach of Rule 14-3 for a player to listen to a device briefly, for example, to obtain the results of another sporting event or traffic information, while walking between the putting green of one hole and the teeing ground of another hole.

There is no restriction on listening to music or other broadcasts while practicing (whether on the practice ground or on the golf course, and whether by oneself or while playing with others), although club rules and disciplinary codes could apply in such circumstances.

So, in the sense that it creates an unfair advantage (and players will tell you they wear earbuds because they play better), it's no different than any other banned performance-enhancer. And, BTW, the PDGA also already bans artificial devices that assist play, so it's only a matter of defining earbuds/headphones/earplugs as "artificial devices."

This refers to golf where commentators say, "The green is sloping to the left, he should adjust." then the player adjusts.

In most sports you want to hear your surroundings. In all team sports you need to hear your team. You can only compare it to individual sports outside of water. Cyclists do not wear them because of the potential for cars. It is banned in track because coaches can pace runners. So the only sport you can really compare it to is golf, and they will allow it as soon as Dr. Dre sponsors a majors event.

Last edited:
I think this issue should be looked at from the perspective that using headphones is already banned as it is in most sports. Then try to make the compelling case to the administration why competitive disc golf has unique aspects where headphones should be allowed.

I think this issue should be looked at from the perspective that using headphones is already banned as it is in most sports. Then try to make the compelling case to the administration why competitive disc golf has unique aspects where headphones should be allowed.

Who cares why headphones are banned in other sports, though? Unless the reason they're banned elsewhere applies to some aspect of disc golf, it's apples and oranges.

Since it is currently allowed, the onus should be on finding compelling reasons to ban it, not the other way around.

Who cares why headphones are banned in other sports, though? Unless the reason they're banned elsewhere applies to some aspect of disc golf, it's apples and oranges.

Since it is currently allowed, the onus should be on finding compelling reasons to ban it, not the other way around.
Not if the goal for the competitive side of disc golf is to become more professional to emulate other successful pro sports. The case should be made why we're different. I can see the competitive reason for allowing headphones in snowboarding due to the inherent instantaneous danger in getting distracted by sounds whether intentionally or accidentally. Try to make a similar case for DG and that's fine. I'm on the CompCom and am neutral on the issue at the moment. Making the competitive case for them might tip my vote to continue allowing them. At the moment there seem to be more negative reasons from a competition standpoint in a self-officiated sport where paying attention is part of the deal.

Last edited:
How about Professional Poker Players, do they count in comparison? Just a thought.

Their possible reason to use them is to drown out anyone else trying to mess with them "mentally". Isn't that sometimes the case in DG?

I feel like any reason that you could come up with that you could consider negative for being able to use head phones would be in most cases, applicable to people with hearing disabilities.
Whether completely deaf or partially. One ear or both. What are you going to do? Stop deaf players from competing and force others with varying degrees of hearing loss to wear a hearing aid? get real

How about Professional Poker Players, do they count in comparison? Just a thought.

It's not a sport, but I think It is a good comparison. The reasons an individual I'm either setting may choose to use headphones are similar.

So, in the sense that it creates an unfair advantage (and players will tell you they wear earbuds because they play better), it's no different than any other banned performance-enhancer. And, BTW, the PDGA also already bans artificial devices that assist play, so it's only a matter of defining earbuds/headphones/earplugs as "artificial devices."

Not any more they don't. Range finders and other electronic devices are allowed now

At the moment there seem to be more negative reasons from a competition standpoint in a self-officiated sport where paying attention is part of the deal.
why is the assumption being made that because someone is wearing headphones they are some how limited in their ability to pay attention to the round and their fellow competitors?

I wear headphones each and every tournament round I play. I have been wearing them for years now. I actually can not stand "earbuds" as they hinder my ability to hear what is going on around me and they create a seal between the earbud and my ear canal which makes me feel like I am under water. I prefer and use non "bud" earphones. While wearing them, I can absolutely hear every word said by my fellow competitors, I can hear warnings being yelled from afar, other people on the course conversing, putts being made on other holes...and everything else that is going on around me. I still have the ability to keep track of my score, and my competitors score. I also watch attentively to my fellow card mates throws so I can lend a hand when errant throws are made. I'm far from genius, so if I can do it I assume the majority can as well.

Never once has anyone on my card ever had to ask me twice for my score or raise their voice so that I could hear them when they were addressing me. I am social and engaged with all my card mates during competitive rounds. All while enjoying my tunes, my card mates and the great game of disc golf.

If my headphones are not an issue now why make them an issue in the future?

Last edited:
This was not even on the discussion horizon for quite awhile but has now been brought up apparently due to the higher profile our sport has been and will continue to be getting worldwide. I get that those who already use headphones might consider this a personal freedom issue which also pertains to things like clothing, shoes, pets, smoking and alcohol which have some or full restrictions in the competition environment. Beyond just personal preference, I'm simply looking for people, preferably PDGA members, to make a compelling case that headphones should continue to be allowed.

Last edited:
Beyond just personal preference, I'm simply looking for people, preferably PDGA members, to make a compelling case that headphones should continue to be allowed.

Chuck I just don't get your train of reasoning here. Headphones are currently allowed, so isn't the burden of proof on someone to provide a compelling enough case AGAINST the status quo to merit a change in policy?

Not if the goal for the competitive side of disc golf is to become more professional to emulate other successful pro sports. The case should be made why we're different. I can see the competitive reason for allowing headphones in snowboarding due to the inherent instantaneous danger in getting distracted by sounds whether intentionally or accidentally. Try to make a similar case for DG and that's fine. I'm on the CompCom and am neutral on the issue at the moment. Making the competitive case for them might tip my vote to continue allowing them. At the moment there seem to be more negative reasons from a competition standpoint in a self-officiated sport where paying attention is part of the deal.

I don't get it Chuck. What are some of The compelling negative reasons that would merit a change? The only real rational you've given is that most other sports don't allow it. As JC said, those sports all have compelling competitive reasons WHY they don't allow it, and none of those apply to disc golf as it stands today.

The only reasons with some merit to ban them are that it creates a potential problem with communicating with the headphone wearing player and possibly safety issues. I think those have both been pretty well refuted.

This was not even on the discussion horizon for quite awhile but has now been brought up as a result of the higher profile our sport has been and will continue to be getting worldwide. I get that those who already use headphones might consider this a personal freedom issue which also pertains to things like clothing, shoes, pets, smoking and alcohol which have some or full restrictions in the competition environment. Beyond just personal preference, I'm simply looking for people, preferably PDGA members, to make a compelling case that headphones should continue to be allowed.
Not attacking you personally Chuck, but I am pretty sure I just did. I wear headphones, never had a problem. I (try) to look professional in my attire (earphones certainly do not detract from my appearance, hell you can barley notice I wear them), I (try to) act professional while competing, and my earbuds have never affected mine or anyone around me's round.

Total nonissue IMO.

I can see making guidelines for controlling their use during competition, such as limiting it to one ear or limiting volume to a certain level or instituting a warning/penalty/ban system for misuse or distraction. These would be guidelines that can also be applied to cell phone use or any other electronic devices that potential take a player's attention away from the game at hand. But I think an outright ban without a compelling reason from a competitive standpoint is using a nuke to destroy an anthill of a "problem".

I still think looking into this or doing anything about it simply because other sports ban the use is short-sighted at best. That would be doing it purely for optics and image rather than because it has any impact on how the game is played. Other sports ban the use of headphones for reasons that go beyond how it might look to an outside observer. If disc golf has similar reasons, so be it. But because we think people will laugh at us or not take us seriously enough is a stupid reason to do anything. I'm all for growing the sport and becoming more mainstream, but let's not forget we're still people throwing plastic discs at metal targets in the woods. People will take us seriously or not take us seriously independent of whether or not some players wear headphones/earbuds while they play.

I can see making guidelines for controlling their use during competition, such as limiting volume to a certain level or instituting a warning/penalty/ban system for misuse or distraction.
Totally agree

I still think looking into this or doing anything about it simply because other sports ban the use is short-sighted at best.

QFT!!

This was not even on the discussion horizon for quite awhile but has now been brought up apparently due to the higher profile our sport has been and will continue to be getting worldwide. I get that those who already use headphones might consider this a personal freedom issue which also pertains to things like clothing, shoes, pets, smoking and alcohol which have some or full restrictions in the competition environment. Beyond just personal preference, I'm simply looking for people, preferably PDGA members, to make a compelling case that headphones should continue to be allowed.

I believe I made a pretty compelling argument already. You simply cannot make a ruling banning headphones for any reason that isn't discriminatory to the hearing able, or the hearing disabled in regard to why they couldn't be used in competition. As it stands there is no discrimination with regard to headphones for either party. So why change it?

Should they be an issue for an individual player, treat it like any other courtesy violation. Treat it on a case by case basis.

I believe I made a pretty compelling argument already. You simply cannot make a ruling banning headphones for any reason that isn't discriminatory to the hearing able, or the hearing disabled in regard to why they couldn't be used in competition. As it stands there is no discrimination with regard to headphones for either party. So why change it?

Dude that is pretty ridiculous. A deaf player is disabled. They are legally protected from being discriminated against, and can't make themselves undeaf. A player wearing headphones is choosing to to wear them and can take them out at any time for any reason. Its not the same thing at all.

It's pretty simple and it's already been brought up a million times. Players with headphones are expected to abide by the rules Like anyone else. They are epected to be able to communicate with their cardmates on rulings, scores, and anything else that may come up during around. Their are already rules mechanisms in place to appropriately handle a player who refuses to do that, if they are wearing headphones or not. This stuff is already adequately accounted for in the rules.

Latest posts