• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

High Desert Distance Challenge 2016

Indoor record is useless at least for disc golfers because we don't play indoors and you can't count on no wind due to the heating/air conditioning system currents above where you're throwing. The record I would like to see is longest net distance where there's a center line the player tries to hit. Their net distance is their actual distance minus their distance from the center line. I'm thinking you cap the max wind allowed at say 30mph at ground level so you would be able to run the event in many places and sometimes get lucky with higher winds than others.

Indoor record is useless at least for disc golfers because we don't play indoors and you can't count on no wind due to the heating/air conditioning system currents above where you're throwing. The record I would like to see is longest net distance where there's a center line the player tries to hit. Their net distance is their actual distance minus their distance from the center line. I'm thinking you cap the max wind allowed at say 30mph at ground level so you would be able to run the event in many places and sometimes get lucky with higher winds than others.

I like that.

What about like what they do for land speed records? Throw one direction down the line and then turn around 180 degrees and throw the other way and average the two shots for your record. That'd definitely separate the men from the boys lol. And Wiggins would still probably be best at it.

I like that.

What about like what they do for land speed records? Throw one direction down the line and then turn around 180 degrees and throw the other way and average the two shots for your record. That'd definitely separate the men from the boys lol. And Wiggins would still probably be best at it.
Not unreasonable but you might have differences in the wind speed by the time you flipped directions. There's already the issue of lefty versus righty wind favorability.

I think this event is just to be a for fun type deal. World records can be strange in a number of ways, and it doesn't matter. It is what it is. Ever look through a world record book? Lol

But trying to make this "fair" isn't going to happen in this scenario. The wind obviously is a major factor, once again it is what it is, but it's going to vary results without a doubt. Everyone's not throwing at the same time and wind factor. Some will "tee off hours after another, which will have varying results, as well as gusts. So really it's having the big arm, which all the participants do, and then having that extra boost (wind).

It's whatever. Again my opinion is just a regular distance comp in normal golf conditions is a cooler gauge. But It's definitely cool, fun event and cool title to hold for sure. Congrats to Wiggins and Jennifer!

Not quite a quarter of a mile, but more than a fifth of a mile.

369 in ball-golf distance.

Whaaaa

Personally, I think Wiggins and Lizotte should go ahead and grab an aerobie ring and crush this record, but have Guinness verify (and bring the drinks for after):
(from Wikipedia)
The 13 inch (33 cm) Aerobie Pro was used to set the Guinness World Record two times for the "longest throw of an object without any velocity-aiding feature".[18] The Aerobie's first Guinness World Record was set by Scott Zimmerman at 1,257 feet (383.1 meters) in 1986 at Fort Funston, San Francisco.[19] The 1986 record was broken by Erin Hemmings with a throw of 1,333 feet (406.3 meters) on July 14, 2003 at Fort Funston. Hemmings' Aerobie was airborne for 30 seconds (not an official measurement) and was the first thrown object to break the quarter-mile barrier (or 1,320 feet).[20]

Record is bogus. If I sanction an event on the moon does that mean the records are legit?

Which moon? Some of them are small enough you could throw a disc out of its orbit, then you'd really have a record. Or not, if it never stops you never get a number...

Unless the competition is lucky enough to have these amazing wind speeds again, this is a record that may be like Cy Young's 511 wins, in other words, forget about it. An amazing accomplishment, but kind of a drag for future editions of this event, as the record is now out of sight. An "awesome" throw in the true Jane Margolis sense of the term.

Why is that if you don't mind sharing?

From what I'm told, the dry lakebeds where they do these comps charge you by your group size and I guess your "footprint". Evidently there was interest years ago but to bring out enough crew and with the right equipment to capture an event like that but the difference in permits was enough to turn off the organizers from that idea.

tbh, this is all second hand info to me, so it's possible it's outdated.

I do know it would be a real PITA to film without the right gear. The ratios out there would make it really tough to follow a disc with my kit...and having to clean all that sand out afterwards doesn't make it more appealing either, lol.

I definitely think 30mph is a good number for a cap. Kinda shocked that the event never had one.

It was only a matter of time. The wind blows like that out there pretty frequently, it just hasn't during the Challenge (until now).

In Odessa Tx, I once threw an Opto Pure over 400 feet. I think the wind was in the 50mph range that day. I pretty much just threw it as high as I could. I do not have a huge arm. I couldn't throw as far then as I can now... which at 55 years old, isn't that far.

Almost 1109 feet is awesome.

I think that any future world record attempts, in any sport/activity, should be done in the worst weather possible.

All distance comps in the past...wind
All the past complaints about the validity of the records...none
This thread...DGCR dumping on a serious accomplishment because 1000' has been breached.

The longest throw will become the new record. It's a record whether you think it is or not so grab a box of tissues and have a good cry. Guess it's time to start your own organization and find a facility that'll allow for a sterile testing environment to make all ten of you miserable Rec-level keyboard warriors happy.

Drops mic

Ok.. No filming no wonder all the footage has looked bootleg. We need to change this.. Seriously no one caught that ridiculous throw on film..that is ridiculous.