• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Holy Shank Batman!!

Thumber

Double Eagle Member
Last night I saw a guy griplock so hard he actually managed to endanger people standing behind him.

Last night playing glowie I tried to throw an Eagle as hard and flat as a wraith and last saw it roughly 250 feet right of my intended line. Never did find it, but boy did it flip and glide.

When designing courses I try to keep epic shanks in mind when trying to figure out proximity to paths etc. I have seen the craziest shanks.

Even saw one by Apothecary once, but we don't talk about it.

Who else has epic shank stories?

My fiance actually hit a car behind her and to the right at Arboretum Spiker hole 1. Luckily she doesnt throw hard enough to do any damage.

I always claim that its safer to stand directly in front of her than to her right.

Third round ever with my wife and she tattoo's me in the chest with a sweet griplock. I was standing to her right and about 3 - 4 feet behind her. Luckily it was with a Pro Dart so there was no damage. Like Techno says I stand either to her left or near the basket now to stay safe!

One of the former regulars around here had a griplock problem. Probably why he's not a regular anymore.

We used to call for the "(players name) Shift" when he took the tee, everyone moving to the far left of the teeing area, just in case he got some super rotation going.

Hole 14 at Herman park river to the right of me. I grip locked trying to throw as hard and far as I could and launched it into the river and got negative distance lol. I havent grip locked since...

My worst/best shank was when I first started and took place at River side in Hammond, IN. I am a lefty and we are on hole 15. Bam, gripped it and ripped it. It went across first side of the street, the island, and then over into oncoming side. It came down and stuck right into a car. (The slit where you put your fingers into in order to open the hood of a car.) It wedged in there pretty good, I was actually pretty worried about running over there and grabbing it.

My 2nd best shank was making it into a garbage can. Scared the crap out of the people standing near it but I got the hands up (It's good!) sign.

I was playing with my brother who was about 10 feet in front but 20 feet to the right. I griplocked one straight to the back of his head. He now refuses to go ahead of me until I have finished throwing. He also makes sure he is on my left side for safety.

I've had my share of embarrassing shanks but what I do that still annoys me the most is I'll let the disc pivot in hands and occasionally I'll just lose it out of my hands when I go throw the motions and people are like, "what the hell was that?"

Well here goes.

I was teaching this individual to play and she was doing a stand-and-deliver RHBH drive. I was standing directly behind her (90 degrees to her intended line of flight). She griplocked it and sent the disc flying directly at me.

This happened twice.

I took the hint and stood directly opposite to her line and glory be to God, she griplocks 180 degrees and sends the disc straight at me AGAIN!

Since then she's improved quite a bit but I still get nervous standing anywhere near her when she's teeing off. I find something or someone to put between me & her if I possibly can, just so nothing tragic happens if she decides to fling one my way once more.

^^^ Yeah, Innova should really start giving out riot shields if they're gonna keep putting ludicrous speed drivers in the hands of noobs.

I saw someone shank a drive into the woods on the right (out of view) on this completely open, 500ft hole... during a tournament.
2bedeb83.jpg

Well here goes.

I was teaching this individual to play and she was doing a stand-and-deliver RHBH drive. I was standing directly behind her (90 degrees to her intended line of flight). She griplocked it and sent the disc flying directly at me.

This happened twice.

I took the hint and stood directly opposite to her line and glory be to God, she griplocks 180 degrees and sends the disc straight at me AGAIN!

Since then she's improved quite a bit but I still get nervous standing anywhere near her when she's teeing off. I find something or someone to put between me & her if I possibly can, just so nothing tragic happens if she decides to fling one my way once more.

Yeah, it wouldn't be tragic if it hit your human shield. :D:hfive:

I had one hole that was a relatively open 450 foot hole. The nearest OB was probably a couple hundred feet beyond the basket, or road about 350-400 to the left of the basket. I hit some of the few trees on my first two drives. I turned over the third drive FH in heavy wind. It took off to the left and ended up about 20' from the street. Three drives in and I was nearly further away from the pin than when I started.

I have a few I witnessed by locals I play with.

Two of the best were by the guy that introduced me to the game (Roger)
1 - Shillito Park Hole #3 - He held on a little too long and almost put in on the railroad tracks to the back right of the teepad. Look at a map of the park and you can appreciate the error of his throw.
2 - Shillito Park Hole #10 (hole #11 in the old layout) - Once again he held on a little too long and buzzed over the head of a teenage lifeguard into the center of the pool. She looked confused trying to figure out what happened. I went in to retrieve his disc and pointed to the red-faced gentleman.

He's had other moment but these are two of the best that I witnessed.

Another local developed a severe over compensation dyslexia causing grip-lock to be soon followed by the early release program. At a tourney (Goat Path Dec '08) myself and another player on the morning card were standing leaning against a small tree about 15-20 feet behind the tee when his teeshot peeled the bark off the tree right between us. We both hit the ground and we were a nervous wreck the rest of the round trying to find where there was a safe place to stand. He had been OK through the first 7-8 holes but after that it was an adventure.

I saw someone shank a drive into the woods on the right (out of view) on this completely open, 500ft hole... during a tournament.
2bedeb83.jpg

Riney B Hole #10 - Was it Tracy? (See my comment above - "another local")

I've seen some bad shanks at that course.

Yikes

I laugh everytime I think about this "EPIC SHANK!". Mainly because of my partners face after i threw. I was on 15 out at Idlewild. Wide a$$ open, and 1001 ft. long. I'm a RHBH and was getting psyched to freakin send one zoomin. On my release, the disc slips out of my snap and goes about 20 ft LEFT! I then proceeded to saying, "Must have been that popcorn I ate this afternoon." hahahaha :popcorn:

One of the former regulars around here had a griplock problem. Probably why he's not a regular anymore.

We used to call for the "(players name) Shift" when he took the tee, everyone moving to the far left of the teeing area, just in case he got some super rotation going.

lol we got a guy i nicknamed "cooler" cause whatever group he is in everyone scores bad lol

Well here goes.

This happened twice.

And do we know this lovely lady Baz? Perhaps she's a member on this board...:)

Riney B Hole #10 - Was it Tracy? (See my comment above - "another local")

I've seen some bad shanks at that course.

I don't remember who it was, some guy on my card during Beware the Beavers in '08. He put it WAY it the woods to the right. It was so bad I still remember it 2 years later!