• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade Disc Catcher

Marty McFly

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
This is my homemade disc catcher. I just started and have some more work to do. Only took my around 3 hours to get this done.

So far I have all my supplies and only spent $70. Sure I did tons of work but had more fun than I ever thought. I made a temp basket tonight and set it in the ground. It catches great! Tons of chains and it is perfectly identical in size to the Discatcher Pro.

I need one more coat but I even painted my metal yellow.

Let me know what you think, I will post more pics later. I got it in the ground well after dark and took these pics way earlier.

IMG_0644.jpg

nice work. I really dig the use of the bike wheel as well.

No welding and no major hard work. The basket will be a temporary 26in tire.

I'm getting a buddy to weld me a basket soon. Not sure what the price will jump to after that. But for now I got a SUV tire from a tire shop scrap area for free. Looks kinda decent and worked great.

I will post more pics soon when it is not so dark.

You would also love to sound of this baby. Sounds legit and that is my favorite part.

The top ring looks to tight. You might want to get a bigger ring cause it needs to be free moving.
Other than that ,great idea!

The top ring looks to tight. You might want to get a bigger ring cause it needs to be free moving.
Other than that ,great idea!

I'm holding it because it had yet to be planted... It's at an angle and is hard to see but it does have room.

1 - 3in conduct ring (Only thing I could find 3in)
1 - 2.5 brass ring

Thanks for the input. More is welcome!

Nice job on making that, looks really nice. Crazy how well a bike wheel works for hanging chains. I was thinking of making a couple of baskets to put around the backyard and I might just make them like this. ( I already have a skill shot by innova but permanent baskets would be nice)

what type of metal did you use for the chasity belt?
how are the inner chains s hooks held in place?

Sheet metal. You can find it in roofing supplies.

Where the spokes cross they have a little section I put them in. They are just hanging in the pic but I tightened them up and have them where they can't move.

12 outsides chains and 6 inner.

This is really cool. The bike wheel was an awesome idea! Just kinda throwing this out there. If you're thinking of building another one, go to a local bike shop and ask for a scrap wheel (ie one missing a few spokes or one that is slightly bent. They usually give them away for free. I worked in a bike shop for 3 years and we would usually just toss them if they were bad.

Sheet metal. You can find it in roofing supplies.

Where the spokes cross they have a little section I put them in. They are just hanging in the pic but I tightened them up and have them where they can't move.

12 outsides chains and 6 inner.

i have one done up like that except i used wood instead of metal. the sheet metal obviously is not lining up due to slightly different cuts on the two layers of wood.

This is really cool. The bike wheel was an awesome idea! Just kinda throwing this out there. If you're thinking of building another one, go to a local bike shop and ask for a scrap wheel (ie one missing a few spokes or one that is slightly bent. They usually give them away for free. I worked in a bike shop for 3 years and we would usually just toss them if they were bad.

Yep, the only thing I spent money was the chains... Everything else I had or was not expensive. I even got the pole for free from a buddy.

Very cheap and worth it.

Thanks for the positive feedback!