• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hottest discs out when you started playing

twmccoy1

* Ace Member *
I'm just curious, what were the newest and hottest discs out when everyone started playing? I started in 2004 and the Orc and Flash were brand new and the fastest thing out (other than the Beast or Crush) to that point. The buzz hadn't been released yet, though it came shortly after. The Flick also came out about this time.

Back then (8 years ago?) you actually had to have an arm to get some distance. Now there seems to be an overabundance of super fast flippy drivers made for weak throwers. Let's face it, ten years ago there were hardly any flippy discs available. There are so many options available now to new disc-ers that choosing discs must be a nightmare.

I started playing sometime around 2001 and back then the Valkyrie was the hot new disc, but I didn't know any better or care enough at the time. I do remember when the Beast came out in 2003. It was a big deal. I had to get myself one, and that was the first new disc I ever bought.

when I first took it up casually in 2000, it was the valk I believe

when I got serious about it in 2004, it was the orc and the sidewinder.

mid-05 and the earliest new release i can remember was when S.T.A.R. came out.

i think the Orion LS had just come out when i started. they sold me on it at the pro shop and it was the first driver that i could do anything with (compared to my champ banshee and champ orc... pfft)

The first time I took up the game, the Phenix was the ish. It was seen as more "proper" to play with lids, though, in my circle of players.

When I rekindled my relationship with disc golf, CE plastic was hot off the presses, and the CE versions of the Aviar, Leopard, Eagle, Teebird, Firebird, & Valkyrie were the most sought-after discs.

2006ish - The Starfire was new and then Star plastic, then the Wraith. That was a huge release!

Everyone had a Destroyer when I started. That's the only disc I remember being inordinately popular my first year.

twmccoy said:
I'm just curious, what were the newest and hottest discs out when everyone started playing? I started in 2004 and the Orc and Flash were brand new and the fastest thing out (other than the Beast or Crush) to that point. The buzz hadn't been released yet, though it came shortly after. The Flick also came out about this time.

Back then (8 years ago?) you actually had to have an arm to get some distance. Now there seems to be an overabundance of super fast flippy drivers made for weak throwers. Let's face it, ten years ago there were hardly any flippy discs available. There are so many options available now to new disc-ers that choosing discs must be a nightmare.
We apparently started about the same time. The Orc had already come out when I started but I remember the Flash coming out.

When I started, my local disc seller had just got their first batch of Star Wraiths. I bought a DX Spider, Champ Coyote, Sidewinder, and Wraith that day because I didn't know any better. At least the mids were okay.

Wraith was being released the summer I started paying attention to plastic. I had started the fall before then but just as something stupid to do with my "bromie's". Didn't take long at all for me to get the fever and I started eating up plastic. I definitely bought a Wraith LONG before I should have and I remember throwing it on 180' deuce or die holes... Though at the time there was no one around to tell me I should be sticking to a much slower disc until I learned some proper technique. Boy was I excited when I bought that Wraith though, I swear I thought it was going to net me another 100' on all my drives. That excitement quickly turned into frustration... :/

I started playing during my sophomore year of college, so either the fall of 2001 or spring of 2002. The CE valk was the rage with the guys in the area who were good, and being a broke college student I couldn't justify almost 20 bucks for CE plastic at the head shop in town. Instead I bought a lof of KC pro plastic, and the first premium plastic I bought was a 10x teebird. The beast was a huge deal when it came out, it was essentially the first modern era wide rimmed driver on the market.

Jeronimo said:
Boy was I excited when I bought that Wraith though, I swear I thought it was going to net me another 100' on all my drives. That excitement quickly turned into frustration... :/
Mine found its way into a box quickly as well. I still have it and its still nearly new.

My first disc was a KC Pro Cheetah. Don't really remember how much I used it or if it was a 'hot' disc at the time because I traded it for beer.

When I got into DG it was more of a 'drink a shit ton of beer and throw a frisbee activity', but PIAS recommended the Valk. That was '03. I had no idea what the hot disc was then (or what I was doing besides getting wasted). It was funny because all of my friends threw ultimate discs at the Carolina course, so naturally my 250-300' drives were amazing.

Early 2009 I think, Boss had come out last year and it was the hottest thing out there, easily.

When I started playing in '97-'98 I only paid attention to discs that were supposed to be overstable because I threw all thumbers. The first couple of discs I bought were a dx Banshee and a Cyclone 2...The Banshee was better for thumbers, so I stuck with that. The next time I went to the head shop to get another disc they had just got their first dx Firebirds, and those would bomb for thumbers. I started playing more and noticed that my discs got chewed up and started flying poorly for my shot, so the next time I upgraded to an X plastic Xtreme. That was a good thumber disc for longer, so it was a winner.

The game really changed for me when I found a CE Valk on the course in Ann Arbor. Not only could it take abuse, but since it wasn't overstable like my other drivers had been I could actually start learning to throw it FH and BH. I started playing more often and picked up an Aurora MS for putts/approaches, a CE FL (for thumbers), and used the Valk for BH/FH. Shortly thereafter I found PDGA.com and DGR and it was all over...

Latest posts