• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you keep track of your score during a casual round?

How do you keep track of your score during a casual round?

• Paper and pencil

Votes: 76 31.1%
  • In my head

Votes: 119 48.8%
  • On my fingers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beads on a string

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Cell phone app

Votes: 24 9.8%
  • Cell phone other (text/notepad)

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • I don't keep score for casual rounds

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • Other

Votes: 7 2.9%

• Total voters
I used to do what someone mentioned a ways back, which is write 2,4,5 and more if need be, and then write down which holes i got those scores on. Now, I just write down the hole number with the score next to it, if it's not a three. This way, i am only taking it out if I get a birdie or worse than par (or the occasional ace). So far it's saved me from writing down 2498 numbers. That's quite a bit of writing. Plus, I only take it out when I do good or bad, which is often a reality check.

1183070845213-1875410435.jpeg

Can wash it and use over and over.

Blackberry - mScorecard app - Looooooove it!

I use the DiscGolf app for the iphone. I dont know what i would do without it now.
Me too. Then I come home and enter everything into the scorebook.

I LOVE that the DG app just added Tweet/FB functionality!

Pencil and scorecard and when I get home enter data on a spreadsheet.

Played for a year and never tracked my score during a round. Just don't care about it, even in tourneys. I just care about how good each throw is and if I did what I wanted to with every toss.

Rather than count strokes, I just tally "over par" and "under par".
Goal is always at least "one under" at rounds end.
I just keep mental note.

I am wodering if some of the people who marked in their head are also some that say they don't keep score. That would have killed the results. :|

I got a Roswell Park handy dandy reusable score card. It rocks.

I don't know how you "in your head" guys do it, and I wonder how accurate you are.

I don't know how you "in your head" guys do it, and I wonder how accurate you are.

If I only play one round I can go back through that round when I get home and remember every shot. Cant do that for multiple rounds, but if there is only one I can.

Also if your not writing down the "hole by hole" than its easy to remember I shot a par and a 4 down today.

If it's a tag match, everyone is responsible for calling out what the score for the last hole was, along with their front/back/overall scores at the teepad (we usually play $1/$1/$1+pin money during tag matches). Everyone keeps everyone else in check that way and still keeps the casual feel of the round w/o a scorecard.

In my head same as I usual do for ball golf. Usually only need to count 1 under to 1 to 2 over per hole. Not too difficult to manage that addition or subtraction.

I dont like to keep score, ever. I dont even want to know my score until I'm done with the round. It's too much to think about & it's distracting for me (in a bad way).
I dont want to think about the score, I want to have fun & play each shot for what it's worth.
If I have a good round, I can usually go back & remember what I shot overall & I'll write it down on a card for prosperity.

I do it in my head and it's never hard at all. Can't really figure out why it would be either unless you were playing with a big group or passing a little somethin somethin after every hole. Usually if it's me and 2 other people I can remember everyone's shot throughout the round until we get past 18 holes.

You mean like this: http://www.roswelldiscgolf.org/store/index.html :D

I actually find I can accurately replay a round in my head afterward, at least within a few hours of finishing. Wouldn't claim to be able to do it for two rounds the same day. And with my handy dandy RDGC reusable scorecard, I don't have to :) .

Example -- Monday night singles this past Monday at ERP from the blue tees:
Hole 1: tee shot (Stingray) off a tree on the left side of the fairway into the shul on the left. Second shot (Star Roc) didn't hyzer enough and ended up 50 feet short of the log across the fairway, off in the crap on the right. Third shot was a lovely slight anhyzer with a Star Mako, low, to bend around a tree and then skid along the ground to within a couple of feet of the basket -- drop in putt.

Hole 2: Tee shot (Mako) just barely missed getting around and under one of the trees between the tee box and basket, kicked back across the creek and landed dry on the tee side of it. Yanked my upshot (R-Pro Dart) right and ended up in the gully way to the right of the basket, in a position where I could not see even a sliver of metal on the basket, despite only being 30 feet or so away. Bent an anhyzer putter shot around and dropped it right under the basket for a second drop-in four.

Hole 3: Champ Leopard tee shot that I screwed up badly somehow -- ended up precariously balanced in some dormant kudzu vines near the top of the mulch pile on the left side of the fairway (between 3 and 5) -- not a terrible position distance-wise or in terms of line to the basket, but with no way to get a solid foothold. Mako approach shot way short and to the right as a result of having no footing. Putter shot from 80-90 feet out hit the top band and rolled a short way, leaving me with a 15 ft putt for yet another 4.

Hole 4: Woods to right right off the tee, just past the break of the slope. Tomahawk second shot just barely got clear of the crap. Hyzer shot with the Buzz was short, bounced off the mulch pile at the top of the slope down to the basket and rolled all the way down past the basket into the wasteland between the basket and the fairway for 6. Putt skipped off the top rim of the basket and landed 5 feet away. Drop in.

Hole 5: Stingray tee shot on line but short. Putt rattled chains but didn't stick. Comeback putt from about 18 ft went home.

Hole 6: Star Skeeter 3/4 way up the fairway. Putter upshot w/in 3 ft of pin. Drop in.

Hole 7. Yanked Star Stingray right, almost clearing all the trees but catching one late that bounced it across the fairway and halfway down the hill in the shul on the left. Tomahawk with Champ Leopard almost, but not quite, into the clear. Hit a tree with the Mako, leaving me still 60 ft out. Putt was perfect flight path, just about the width of the disk too much to the right. 15 ft comeback putt.

Hole 8: Mako that snaked through some trees in the shul on the right side of the fairway, down to my standard landing zone area at the turn of the dogleg. Beautiful Mako upshot to about 12 ft out. Chanked the putt off the top band. Slammed putter into chains so hard it bounced out. Drop in for a five that should have been a three.

Hole 9: Tried my anhyzer line through the narrow gap on the right but missed the line and hit a tree halfway down. Mako upshot aiming for the same gap hit another tree 40 feet farther on. Yanked my R-Pro Dart right from there, into the trees across from the base of the large felled tree behind the basket. Putt off the top band. Drop in for another 5.

And so forth (we actually started on 10, so that was actually the second nine). I don't know really do anything special to fix the details in my mind - just have a facility for remembering stuff that's of no real importance.

Yeah for some reason that facility in my brain only works for every song lyric I have heard since 1985.