• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you keep track of your score during a casual round?

How do you keep track of your score during a casual round?

• Paper and pencil

Votes: 76 31.1%
  • In my head

Votes: 119 48.8%
  • On my fingers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Beads on a string

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Cell phone app

Votes: 24 9.8%
  • Cell phone other (text/notepad)

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • I don't keep score for casual rounds

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • Other

Votes: 7 2.9%

• Total voters
When I'm just keeping score for myself, I've been using a nifty system that I believe I first heard about here on DGCR that tracks my strokes and putts. Most holes, I'm usually shooting three shots with one putt. For these holes I write nothing down. I've got a small piece of paper - about the size of a pack of smokes - with four sections on each side. One side is for strokes and one side for putts. On the strokes side, there's a 2, 4, 5, and Other section. On the putts side, there's a 0, 2, 3, and Other section. If I shoot a 4 on hole seven, then I mark a 7 in the four section on the stroke side. If I 2-putted to get this 4 on 7, then I mark the 2 section on the putts side with a 7 too. Another example: I shoot a 5 on hole eight, which includes an OB penalty. I mark 8 in the five section and circle it.

Works great for me. I can track score and putts and only write down about 6-8 numbers most of the time. Calculating strokes to par is easy too.

Last edited:
I really like the idea of a small clipboard. I use a printed out score card and track the number of putts by marking dots below the total score for the hole. If I go OB I circle the number it is a system that works for me. I just wish I would of thought of the clipboard system sooner. That is pretty pimp idea it would stop the crumpled score cards.

I keep track of how many over or under par I am from memory, and then write down the final score when I get home.

keeping score...

I have a small journal that I bought at target. It's about the size of a wallet and is great for keeping score as well as writing down any interesting thoughts I might have during a round on the course. I use three columns under the date and course I am playing. "H" column for "holes", "P" column for "par", and "M" column for "me". In each row I have marked the hole, par, and my own score.

What I like about this system is it allows me to keep all my scores in one place and I can quickly see how I did on the same course and hole the last time I played it. Another reason I like it is I can quickly enter my scores into DGCR quickly and into my excell spreadsheet. :) Yes, I'm a little ocd and a nerd as well.

Best of luck with however you keep score!!!

Since I'm almost always playing the same course, I generally don't have any problem keeping score in my head, even specific hole scores. I keep a running tally of strokes over par (I'm never under, unfortunately) as a cross-check, but don't find it difficult to remember what I shot on each hole in order to enter it in the score tracker here, as long as I do it the same day or early the next.

i do the same

I used to keep how many up or down I was on the back of my putter with a dry erase marker. Now my memory has improved and I can usually keep it in my head.

Since I'm almost always playing the same course, I generally don't have any problem keeping score in my head, even specific hole scores. I keep a running tally of strokes over par (I'm never under, unfortunately) as a cross-check, but don't find it difficult to remember what I shot on each hole in order to enter it in the score tracker here, as long as I do it the same day or early the next.

That's my method, exactly.
when I go to another course, I'll score on a card.

I bought a small notebook at a stationery store - made sure each page had 18 lines on it - and keep score for myself and whoever I play with.

Now on my second book, I've got a record of every round I've ever played (I've maybe missed half a dozen, but not more than that) since Day One.

One of these days when I've got ABSOLUTELY NOTHING better to do I'll dump it all into a spreadsheet and calculate all kinds of fancy sh!t.

Until then, I just go throw some more :)

Gotta Go Gotta Throw sends me a little score book every time I order from them. It's set up to be a fiver person card. I just write down the courses I play at the most on top of each 5 person card. Instead of putting a name in the player field I just put the date I played at that particular course.

In my head and on a scorecard so that I can input it here

I spraypaint my score on the basket. Then I have to walk the course again to add up my score. It works surprisingly well.

I just do it in my head...I have an App on my iPhone to keep score, but I don't use it regularly

I treat each hole as a par 3 and just count how many strokes over I am...Sometimes I don't even need to take my shoes off to keep score.

Dont uaually keep score at my local course when me and the wife go. With larger groups usually keep score with pen and paper. Im almost always just with my wife so score dosent really matter, just having fun.

I use the Disc Golf app on my iPhone. I've got a couple of little gripes with it. First I wish that once you entered your scores on a particular hole it would advance to the next. Secondly I wish below par scores would show up on the saved scorecard in a different color than the par color. Over par is red. Par is black. They could easily use blue or some other color for under par scores.

But other than that it's easy and I usually enter the scores while I'm walking to the next tee. Pretty easy.