• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you like your elevation?

What kind of elevation do you like?

• Total voters
I love a work out, but if I have to break out the climbing rope and pitons I'd rather be rock climbing for real, not trying to find my way to a disc. I picked lots of big hills. BAP in Gorham, ME is one of my favorite courses because of the huge elevation changes on some holes and the fact that NONE of them are flat.

When I played the MPT event this year there I felt like an idiot trying to play those hillsides in the wind after playing nothing but technical, wind sheltered golf for months.

I like both. For an everyday course a flat or slightly hilly course is really fun. Sometimes you just don't want to do a lot of hiking, and I'm an avid hiker. Flat courses, like Lake Sonoma are great for simple chucking on an every day basis or when you don't have all day to play.

Hilly or mountain courses like BOP, Stafford, Dela, Blue Mountain, etc are great too, but require more planning, time, etc to really enjoy.

Create courses in any and all potential areas as the landscape dictates. Play them as they are...

Mountain goat status:

mountain-goats-17.jpg

mountain-goats-0.jpg

If I'm not in constant danger of falling to my death a thousand feet below, it's not enough elevation. :D

I've played all of the above terrain and it really boils down to how the course is laid out on the land available. There is nothing greater then launching a disc off a cliff side and hoping you put enough on it to keep it from hyzering out into no mans land. Cape Fear at Four Mounds Disc Golf Reserve is a great example of Mountain Goat golf. Anyone who has ever played Diamond X in Billings can attest to how much fun (and how much of a work out) that course is.

If there's no elevation changes, why bother? It would be like playing in NC. ;)
(I'd actually love to come out and throw there, I've only driven through before I started playing.)

I also like mountain goat type greens, everyone can play flat or single tree greens but when you need climbing shoes for your putt, life is good.

Teeshot:
IMG_20120526_091509.jpg

Baskets:
IMG_20120526_093859.jpg

If there's no elevation changes, why bother? It would be like playing in NC. ;)
(I'd actually love to come out and throw there, I've only driven through before I started playing.)

I also like mountain goat type greens, everyone can play flat or single tree greens but when you need climbing shoes for your putt, life is good.

Teeshot:
IMG_20120526_091509.jpg

Baskets:
IMG_20120526_093859.jpg

More nice ones. Is this course listed on here?

If I'm not in constant danger of falling to my death a thousand feet below, it's not enough elevation.

That's what I'm talking about.:thmbup:

I like throwing off big hills.. not up them.

So what you only play courses with a lot of elevation if they have a chairlift to the top and you just play down from there?

I've played all of the above terrain and it really boils down to how the course is laid out on the land available. There is nothing greater then launching a disc off a cliff side and hoping you put enough on it to keep it from hyzering out into no mans land. Cape Fear at Four Mounds Disc Golf Reserve is a great example of Mountain Goat golf. Anyone who has ever played Diamond X in Billings can attest to how much fun (and how much of a work out) that course is.

Both of these are in my wishlist.

I like variety. Take Waller Pines, frxmpl: you start out dead flat for the first 6 holes and then you're into lots and lots of up and down but nothing very radical - just enough to force you to kick your brain cells into gear. Nothing at all "usual" or "ordinary" about it. Then around hole 21, you go dead flat again for 4-5 holes before finishing (it's a 27-hole course) with some more hills.

I'd rather play that course than, oh, Wrightwood, where EVERYthing seems to be up and down, up and down, up and down (somebody pass the Dramamine!). I mean yeah, it's a spectacular course but hey, what about an occasional respite?

not much is gained once you start with the massive elevation changes golfwise

I'd prefer rolling hills and fast interesting greens

YES! "Mountain goat type greens!" Lion's Wilderness DGC My teeshot at the base of the "green". Notice the footholds for the climb up. :clap: Not a place to bring your stroller.
2012-09-25135417_zpsea44392f.jpg

Edit: Eeek! Sorry for the img size. Wont resize this time, but wont happen again.

Last edited:
I think the best course would have some of all of them. But the Mt. goat status would hurt the hell of my knees.

I like courses with plenty of elevation, but I absolutely hate when tee pads are slanted up or downhill. My home course has 3 or 4holes that have steep tee pad slants for a not even very uphill hole, and it really bothers me.

every course I recieve thumbs down on is flat.. that should tell ya what I typically like.. Simple Pleasures DGC and Elk mtn DGC are among the favs with significant elevation changes