• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you train your dog not to pick up discs?

hmm i think ill have to make one for the wife... 10,000 volts?:D

jk

It's not the volts...it's the amps. 20 amps ought to do it.

I had a bad dream last night. I'm with a group of people and our dogs, walking unleashed (gasp) along a busy city boulevard. One dog, then another decides to make a dash across 3 lanes, the median strip and the other 3 lanes. (gasp-gasp) Then my dog decides to follow. He makes the first 3 lanes, clears the median and almost makes it to the other side. Almost.
A sedan clips his left hip and then he's just laying there.

Leash your dogs people, even in your dreams.

Walk your dog to the disc, if the dog wants to pick it up, LOOK HER IN THE EYE and with a force from your voice not a yell say NO! and point to the disc, the dog will learn after a few repeats.

I

I had a bad dream last night. I'm with a group of people and our dogs, walking unleashed (gasp) along a busy city boulevard. One dog, then another decides to make a dash across 3 lanes, the median strip and the other 3 lanes. (gasp-gasp) Then my dog decides to follow. He makes the first 3 lanes, clears the median and almost makes it to the other side. Almost.
A sedan clips his left hip and then he's just laying there.

Leash your dogs people, even in your dreams.

Funny signature, but you need to revise it to clipping his right hip. If he is on the other side of the median the cars will be coming from his right, unless the car is going the wrong way.

Funny signature, but you need to revise it to clipping his right hip. If he is on the other side of the median the cars will be coming from his right, unless the car is going the wrong way.

It was a dream...so cars don't always obey standard traffic laws...a bad dream. I was really happy to wake up from that one.

Walk your dog to the disc, if the dog wants to pick it up, LOOK HER IN THE EYE and with a force from your voice not a yell say NO! and point to the disc, the dog will learn after a few repeats.

Good point...dogs, horses, and teenagers have a way of avoiding eye contact if they aren't interested in doing whats expected. Training a dog becomes much simpler when he's interested in looking at you.

I find that if I leave my dog at home he is much less likely to pick up discs at the course.

My friend takes his dog to the course all the time and actually plays catch with the dog with a normal frisbee, but the dog never once went after one of our discs that we were playing the course with. Dunno how he did it, but good luck with that!

Thanks for all the advice I'll work on my Ceasar techniques, I've been practicing on my cat, not too effective! I hope we find the right dog.

I crap in my hands and fling the poo at the dog if starts toward the disc. Always crap in your non-throwing hand.