• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do your shoes fail?

How do your shoes fail?

• Right shoe outside toe

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Right shoe inside toe

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Left shoe outside toe

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Left shoe inside toe

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Right shoe heel

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • Left shoe heel

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Poor comfort

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • Loss of traction

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • Shoe lace breakage

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • Other (describe)

Votes: 12 13.3%

• Total voters
I tried couple pair of merrells and keens but each would have problems with some part of the soles coming undone. And it wasn't in the same spot so I knew the quality was just poor.
I had a pair last me a week the others a couple days of playing before having to go back to REI! i've had jordans that I put threw more abuse last longer than these p.o.s shoes they are trying to sell.

finally just threw down and got these:
Lowa-Zephyr-GTX-Mid-TF-Boots-Beige.jpg

Honestly, couldn't be happier. Great support, extremely waterproof (goretex), and soles are staying attached to the shoe... Been almost a couple months and they are holding up great.
I even started wearing them to work everyday - they are that comfortable!

The only thing they are pretty pricey... But for wearing them everyday and being as good as they are for disc golf - They are worth the money! Highly recommend them ~ as the saying goes: You get what you pay for! (usually ;))

Lowa makes really good stuff. I had a pair that last about 7 years, the last 2 I used them for discing before the right sole finally tore off, they still looked good. The only bad part is that Lowa isn't that popular so they are hard to find.

My shoes always fail in the same three area's. Right side heel, right side inside toe and right side outside toe. I've tried cheap shoes, expensive shoes, hikers, runners, cross trainers, doesn't matter. It's always in the same spot and they last 6 months max. Now I just stick with 40 dollar Nevados, waterproof them myself and use them till I wear through the sole in these three area's. It's about time for me to go get a new pair now.

I have also been through a crapload of shoes.

FWIW, I only use these shoes for disc golf and I play 1-2 rounds per week all year long.

My Asolo hiking boots will be heading out for winter season #4 shortly. While these were not cheap ($210 IIRC), they have lasted longer than any Garmonts, Merrels or anything else I have tried out on the course.

For all other seasons, I typically use something like this Ahnu Cross Trainer. I am wrapping up season #2 on these Ahnu's right now and they are finally starting to show some wear around the outside toe areas. I am probably going to replace these prior to next spring, but they are good enough to last till winter.

Also, any non-waterproof shoe may easily be converted with nikwax. I use this on all of my shoes....typically re-apply every 3 months.

I play in DC Skate Shoes (bring on that hate) and they work fabulously. Good traction, padding and support around the ankle, and quite cool. I'm fairly steady-footed, so I haven't had any problems playing the rugged courses here in CO.

But when I was using hiking boots, it was always the inside right toe that was going out, do to my RHFH drive. I haven't had quite the same problem with the DCs, but it's pretty obviously worn nonetheless.

Other: right and left toes...middle.

I play in DC Skate Shoes (bring on that hate) and they work fabulously. Good traction, padding and support around the ankle, and quite cool. I'm fairly steady-footed, so I haven't had any problems playing the rugged courses here in CO.

But when I was using hiking boots, it was always the inside right toe that was going out, do to my RHFH drive. I haven't had quite the same problem with the DCs, but it's pretty obviously worn nonetheless.

No hate here, I played in skate shoes for a very long time and I often contemplate going back to them. I never use DC though, always Globe.

I'm actually looking to skate shoes for some inspiration. Skate shoe companies have excelled in making shoes that are able to take a beating on specific points on their shoes. They have really done a great job of reinforcing certain areas that are prone to wear (i.e. ollie pads) They have also been excellent at listening to the demands of a very specific market.

For you guys wearing through shoes in 2-4 months, how many rounds is that?

I've got... I dunno, maybe close to 100 rounds?, in on my Merrell hiking boots and haven't noticed any wear. 9 months so far.

On RHFH shots I drag my right foot and a hole starts to form on the left side of my right shoe.

For you guys wearing through shoes in 2-4 months, how many rounds is that?

I've got... I dunno, maybe close to 100 rounds?, in on my Merrell hiking boots and haven't noticed any wear. 9 months so far.

I probably will get about 50 rounds before my shoes are torched. I tend to impart a huge about of force and speed into my pivot.

Here's how my last few pairs of shoes failed:

Keen Targhee II Mid - failed after ~8 months, shoe laces tore and no longer waterproof
Merell Chameleon 4 - failed after ~1 year, interior started tearing apart around the heel
Salomon XA Comp 5 GTX - failed after ~4 months, lacing mechanism broke and no longer waterproof
Salomon XA Pro 3D - failed after ~3 months, slipped on a rock while playing a rocky course and tore a hole into the side of the shoe
North Face Hedgehog GTX - failed after ~4 months, same as above. Slipped on a rock, instant hole in side of shoe

Currently I'm back to the Keen Targhee Mid II's. While the first pair failed because of torn laces and loss of waterproofing, the rest of the shoe held up great. I bought an extra pair of laces for these and spray them with additional waterproofing spray every few months. A lot of the exterior is made from leather so they are able to withstand impact with rocks better than shoes with fabric on the outside. The only downside to these is that on hot sunny days they get pretty toasty inside. The leather just heats up in the sun and turns these into ovens. I'm looking for a pair of lighter shoes for nice sunny days when I'm not playing anywhere extreme. I'll probably go with something minimal for this task.

I said "other". The Gore Tex on my shoes fails before anything else... Which is wonderful when you live here. The rest of the shoe lasts for at least a year of both work and disc golf though. I know this because my Christmas bonus buys me shoes every year...

My shoes start to break down under the ball of my right foot. To be precise under where my right big toe is. Also on my current pair of shoes the insides up around the top of my ankles are starting to break down. I expect my soles to wear out first, but on my current shoes(merrills) I didn't think the inside lining would be breaking down. I have had these shoes since the end of Feb 2012. I have gotten my moneys worth out of them. I will most definitely buy another pair that has the vibram soles. They have lasted a lot longer than my last pair which was alpine design. However my merrills cost 3 times what the Alpines did so? When I finally got rid of the alpines, the pivot point on my right foot was so bald it was coming up thru the bottom of the shoe.

I suppose I've lost a few pairs of shoes to disc golf, but in my first year of discing I just wore whatever pair was nearest. Work shoes, boots, sandles, running shoes... Whatever I grabbed.

About a year and a half ago I purchased a pair of Vibrams. They were shelved in the winter of course, but otherwise they are my discing shoes. This pair has just recently begun showing signs of death... The tread on the left ball has become fairly smooth from pivoting (RHFH). There are a few holes on the right big toe. (I play at Saugatuck frequently, so I chalk those holes up to Cacti and the rather dry/weedy nature of the course turf.)

Overall, I'd say they've held up very well. For reference, I play 2-3 times a week, and 2-3 rounds every time I go out. (Roughly average say 5-7 rounds a week?)

Now, I can say my friend had a pair of Vibrams that he wore through in roughly 5-6 months? The fabric ripped away from the base on one of the toes. However, he plays 6-7 days a week, 2-3 rounds a day. And I would have classified his approach/pivot when he was wearing these Vibrams as VICIOUS. (He has since smoothed out his form quite a bit. lol)

Anyway, Vibrams: The most comfortable shoe I have ever worn, and they have held up quite well for me.

Mine start to break up under the inside of my right heel. The sole peels up from torque of the pivot. I've had salomons go after a few weeks of wear. The rest of the shoe lasts quite a lont time tho. The newest ones are xa pro 3d ultra 2's. The lace pocket on the tongue fell apart on both shoes inside of a month. Also, they narrowed up the toe box in this version making them not so comfortable for me anymore. Can anyone recommend a good pair of mid top trail runners along these lines for folks with wide feet? goretex a plus.

1. Buy Vasque Sundowners
2. Wear them for 17 years
3. Then they fall apart
4. Repeat

My nike tennis shoes are great! I have no problems.

Obviously this thread isn't for you, since you haven't played long enough to bust any shoes.

I've a fan of the Moab Vents. Had some that lasted me for over a year, and just got a new pair the other day. Also have some Merrel trail shoes for days that I don't need the Moabs, just started using them because my Asic Gel Nymbus 13s wore down and outer toe on my right foot(RHBH) started to tear through. Guess they'll by my putter practice shoes now.. because they're SO F'ING COMFORTABLE.

Latest posts