• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How far can you throw your putt and approach discs?

How far can you throw your putt and approach discs?

• Total voters
I use my putter on a uphill shot at my local course that's 325. Plays about 350. But I'm going to say I throw my putters 300 because I don't have a video that I can throw them 350.

About 350 feet max controlled distance. No video though because no one cares enough to ask me for one :p

Skipped to the last page, missed the mid-thread flamewar.

I choose to use my putter in absolutely any situation I can, unless I feel there's a more practical disc in my bag to use. My "comfortable" flat ground putter range in 330 feet, between that and 350 and my accuracy tends to start dropping off. I throw my midrange (QMS) up to 375, Teebirds a little past 400 and distance drivers about 440 but I'm still getting used to them, just started using them seriously this past week..

I would point your question back at you, that is if I can get there with a putter, why would I throw anything else?

On most holes, I'll throw a driver once and a putter for my upshot and putt. Many holes I throw it for all 3 shots. That means my putter is easily my most familiar disc, which is the first reason I drive with it when I can. Second, it's the most accurate. Also has the least fade. Nothing else I've thrown is as accurate and controllable under 330 feet for me as a Wizard. I find they shape lines just fine too. I throw tunnel shots, 300+ feet anhyzers, 320 feet hyzers and overhand shots with mine. Being able to throw it over 300 feet from a standstill has gotten me a drop in 3 after screwing up my drive more times than I can count. I rely on my putters more than the rest of my bag combined.

My Wizard is my favorite driver.

I was mainly interested in re-posting in this thread because of your "no one cares enough to ask me for one" comment, Mike C. Isn't it ironic that you're now one of the most prolific, and enjoyed, dg video makers out there!?!? :hfive: And now there's plenty of video proof!

And do you remember when the Wizard was your favorite driver? :D

Checking out old replies to threads like this is pretty cool! My own personal answer hasn't really changed much. Maybe a little more distance, and my JK Aviar is strictly for putting now... but 225' is still pretty much the max distance I'll use a putt and approach disc for.

I've chained out (multiple times) of a basket at 300' flat ground with my Neutron Ion. Not a floater, just a lazer beam. Probably 350' if I gave it a little more air, but no video to prove it, so I put 300'

250' is about as far as I can comfortably push my putters. I almost threw an ace this week with my KCPA on a 270' hole, but it was in totally ideal conditions (zero wind, slightly downhill)

I told you!:clap:

Yep. I started throwing them the day after you and Jim and I talked about it. :thmbup:

Thanks for the tip. I should be able to birdie Holes 6 and 7 on the home course 8/10 times by throwing a putter instead of a Buzzz now. That straight, flat finish is amazing.

Yep. I started throwing them the day after you and Jim and I talked about it. :thmbup:

Thanks for the tip. I should be able to birdie Holes 6 and 7 on the home course 8/10 times by throwing a putter instead of a Buzzz now. That straight, flat finish is amazing.

yeah buddy. welcome to the club.

ovaltine.gif

:D

200 ish with accuracy. my XD goes as far as 275 on a hyzer flip but it's not predictable and requires a ton of height. an accurate 275 would be the buzzz if not a fairway driver for me

300'+ is easy with an Opto Pure, but I don't get my Wizards quite as far and that's what I bag.

On the course I only use them out to 230' or so.

Can and actually use are 2 different questions. (i'm sure i've answered this thread before, and my answers are probably different, but this is now)

I can throw my aviars over 350'. But i actually only use them up to about 200'.
I can throw my rocs over 400'. But i only use them up to about 330'.
I can throw my Mako over 375'. But i only use it up to about 300', mainly use it in the 230-300 range.
I can throw my gator over 300', but only use it in the 100-200' range on the course.

I used to be the guy who would throw my aviar and roc on almost EVERY hole. Now i throw way more consistent shots (less power required) with faster discs and get better scores. Discing down is great for learning form, but not as great for scoring well. It's been awesome realization after watching the pros throw teebirds on short holes at worlds.

I used to be the guy who would throw my aviar and roc on almost EVERY hole. Now i throw way more consistent shots (less power required) with faster discs and get better scores. Discing down is great for learning form, but not as great for scoring well. It's been awesome realization after watching the pros throw teebirds on short holes at worlds.

This is something I've suspected for a while. I played a glo round with a 7 disc bag - w/o a light on my putter I was approaching with mids a lot of the time, and it was working realllly well.

Same here. I would use my evoWiz or Ion for upshots and found that ceiling or wind would make it much more difficult than using a faster mid like an esp Buzz with similar stability but greater aerodynamics.